Random questions thread...

cinderocka1989

So, this whole thing is kinda new to me, I always have a lot of questions that I don't wanna ask the guys I work with cause I would probably feel dumb, so I'm going to ask you guys. :D

First dumb question, axles, every one keeps talking about axles. What's the difference between a pusher axle, a tag axle, and a drop axle?

cinderocka1989 said:
New question, what is a wet kit/what does it do?

It is a PTO driven hydraulic pump. Usually attached off the side of the transmission. It is used to power blowers, walking floors, dump bodies, crushers, winches, cranes, transfer pumps.........anything that can be powered by hydraulics.

Tazz said:
It is a PTO driven hydraulic pump. Usually attached off the side of the transmission. It is used to power blowers, walking floors, dump bodies, crushers, winches, cranes, transfer pumps.........anything that can be powered by hydraulics.

Thank you. :)

Tags, or drag axles can hang you up if your drive axle goes over a low spot and does not contact the ground. That is why you have to lock in the power divider sometimes on twin screws, only drag axle has no power. This kind of setup is very rare these days though. In the old days there were some trucks that had a belt drive setup for the dead axle. A belt ran on both sides from the live axle, between the wheels, to the dead axle, but it didn't work all that well.

Tags, or drag axles can hang you up if your drive axle goes over a low spot and does not contact the ground. That is why you have to lock in the power divider sometimes on twin screws, only drag axle has no power. This kind of setup is very rare these days though. In the old days there were some trucks that had a belt drive setup for the dead axle. A belt ran on both sides from the live axle, between the wheels, to the dead axle, but it didn't work all that well.

Know what's even more rare?

2-axle day-cabs that convert to a 3 axle when you literally shove a converter dolly up it's butt.

View attachment 18404 View attachment 18405 View attachment 18406
View attachment 18404View attachment 18405View attachment 18406

cinderocka1989 said:
This one has been bugging me for awhile; I can look at a 379 and a 389 and tell the difference between them, are there any other differences besides how they look?

One has wax paper on the seat and one does not :neener:

This one has been bugging me for awhile; I can look at a 379 and a 389 and tell the difference between them, are there any other differences besides how they look?

Let's ask @Tim.
Beings I've never driven one I really cant say. My buddy has one and he said other then the longer hood not really much difference in them other than the headlights are much better and the high beam.

I'm having a disagreement with a man who claims he has a 2013 Peterbilt 389 with a CAT in it. To the best of my knowledge CAT stopped making engines for trucks in 2007 and Peterbilt no longer makes the 389, am I wrong?

Cat got out of the "highway" market in 2009. If its not a "glider kit" truck it would be almost impossible to order a new truck with a CAT in it. Peterbilt stopped making the 379 and replaced it with the 389.

Cat got out of the "highway" market in 2009. If its not a "glider kit" truck it would be almost impossible to order a new truck with a CAT in it. Peterbilt stopped making the 379 and replaced it with the 389.

But do they still make the 389? I thought it was a 589 now.
And I told you I don't know too much, what is a "glider kit"?

But do they still make the 389? I thought it was a 589 now.
And I told you I don't know too much, what is a "glider kit"?

A glider is a truck without an engine trans or rear ends, most of the time. You can have it ready to go but without an engine. When you order one you have to tell them the kind of motor your going to run ie; CAT, Detroit, Cummins and you supply the engine trans and read ends and finish the truck your self or have someone do it for you,

A glider is a truck without an engine trans or rear ends, most of the time. You can have it ready to go but without an engine. When you order one you have to tell them the kind of motor your going to run ie; CAT, Detroit, Cummins and you supply the engine trans and read ends and finish the truck your self or have someone do it for you,

Oh, cool, thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread