Quebec!

Why is the term "Frog" derogatory?
It's not. Some people are just stupid, and think they need to be offended by everything.

Those B-Trains are not supposed to go any faster than 90 km's/hr. I have yet to see one do it.
I've been on the Glenn Highway (the last link to Anchorage) with those guys out of BC with their b-trains. Those guys run as much or more power than Sourdough does in its line tractors (min. of 550 hp and ~ 2000 lbs. ft. torque but mostly nothing less than 600 hp and equivalent torque).

Their lumber loads look about as heavy as what we'd haul (>52,000 lbs. on the lead semi (we want that driver weight in the several months when the roads are white) and >30,000 lbs. on the tail trailer). I can say that because the units of lumber are identical or close to the same as what we hauled.

The other guys and I used to get a little more than 3 miles per gallon and the newer rigs don't get much more than 3.4 miles per gallon running joints between Anchorage and Fairbanks). B-trains have at least one less axle and generally 2 fewer axles. Since b-trains aren't used much in Alaska, I assume that the difference in rolling resistance (fewer wheels for about the same weight) on mileage is insufficient to justify buying and using b-trains.

A lot of Canadian lumber is used in Alaska because the greenies have pretty much shut down the lumber industry in SE Alaska. Further, the Canadian lumber industry tends to beat the US lumber industry and its regulators at their own change-the-rules game which is supposedly providing decent boards to builders. All this is to say that I might not have 30 (that generally thought of magic number) samples of BC b-trains running into Anchorage, so my conclusion can't be statistically supported in a canonical sense; however my conclusion is logically supported.

Those b-trains out of BC easily keep up with Sourdough and the other carriers that, within the regs, turn Fairbanks (360 miles one-way) in the allotted 15 hours driving time (check: Hours of service and the Alaska exemption - FreightWaves).

By the way, most guys turning Fairbanks out of Anchorage (or vice versa) make that trip within 12.5 hours (that paid-for time includes at least a half hour on each end), so you know that the average speed has to be at least 60 mph; thus something like the 60 mile fairly flat and fairly straight stretch between Healy and Nenanna is covered in about 50 minutes by most drivers if their trucks aren't speed-limited.

When I last drove through the YT, the speed limit was around 90 km/hr. which was realistic considering the condition of the roads. I'd bet in those wide open spaces south of Beaver Creek and those wide open spaces around Fort Nelson, BC, roadways permitting, those guys are going 105 klicks/hour minimum. And why not? There isn't much to see.

Ninety km/hr. is not a realistic speed for a lot western but maybe not coastal Canada although one can make good time running east from Prince George -- some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.

View attachment 72454
Driving home from New York, I had to go through Quebec. I even tried to bribe the dispatcher to let me cross in Cornwall, he wasn't having it.

Americans have California, Canadians have Quebec. Short of sending them adrift somehow, I don't see why we can't build a big wall and tell them to get lost.

Guessing my way through the signs, since there is no English anywhere, With a lot of guessing I got out of there.. If the rest of Canada has to be bilingual, why doesn't Quebec?? And they wonder why the rest of the country doesn't like going there?
I remember the referendum that was held in Quebec asking Quebecers is they want to stay in Canada.
I thought that was a bass-ackward kind of referendum. They should have asked if the rest of Canada has had enough of their bullshit, Distinct society and handing money over to the welfare province.

As far as I am concerned they can leave anytime or we can boot them out anytime whatever comes first. We also get a 1 mile wide corridor through Quebec so as not to cut off our maritime brothers and sisters, lots of good folks out there.
Quebec seems to forget who won the battle on the plains of Abraham.

I've been on the Glenn Highway (the last link to Anchorage) with those guys out of BC with their b-trains. Those guys run as much or more power than Sourdough does in its line tractors (min. of 550 hp and ~ 2000 lbs. ft. torque but mostly nothing less than 600 hp and equivalent torque).

Their lumber loads look about as heavy as what we'd haul (>52,000 lbs. on the lead semi (we want that driver weight in the several months when the roads are white) and >30,000 lbs. on the tail trailer). I can say that because the units of lumber are identical or close to the same as what we hauled.

The other guys and I used to get a little more than 3 miles per gallon and the newer rigs don't get much more than 3.4 miles per gallon running joints between Anchorage and Fairbanks). B-trains have at least one less axle and generally 2 fewer axles. Since b-trains aren't used much in Alaska, I assume that the difference in rolling resistance (fewer wheels for about the same weight) on mileage is insufficient to justify buying and using b-trains.

A lot of Canadian lumber is used in Alaska because the greenies have pretty much shut down the lumber industry in SE Alaska. Further, the Canadian lumber industry tends to beat the US lumber industry and its regulators at their own change-the-rules game which is supposedly providing decent boards to builders. All this is to say that I might not have 30 (that generally thought of magic number) samples of BC b-trains running into Anchorage, so my conclusion can't be statistically supported in a canonical sense; however my conclusion is logically supported.

Those b-trains out of BC easily keep up with Sourdough and the other carriers that, within the regs, turn Fairbanks (360 miles one-way) in the allotted 15 hours driving time (check: Hours of service and the Alaska exemption - FreightWaves).

By the way, most guys turning Fairbanks out of Anchorage (or vice versa) make that trip within 12.5 hours (that paid-for time includes at least a half hour on each end), so you know that the average speed has to be at least 60 mph; thus something like the 60 mile fairly flat and fairly straight stretch between Healy and Nenanna is covered in about 50 minutes by most drivers if their trucks aren't speed-limited.

When I last drove through the YT, the speed limit was around 90 km/hr. which was realistic considering the condition of the roads. I'd bet in those wide open spaces south of Beaver Creek and those wide open spaces around Fort Nelson, BC, roadways permitting, those guys are going 105 klicks/hour minimum. And why not? There isn't much to see.

Ninety km/hr. is not a realistic speed for a lot western but maybe not coastal Canada although one can make good time running east from Prince George -- some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.
Holy crap, that's a lot of information for one little pea sized brain to comprehend.

I'm guessing you proved me wrong but I already knew that. :wink:

I remember the referendum that was held in Quebec asking Quebecers is they want to stay in Canada.
I thought that was a bass-ackward kind of referendum. They should have asked if the rest of Canada has had enough of their bullshit, Distinct society and handing money over to the welfare province.

As far as I am concerned they can leave anytime or we can boot them out anytime whatever comes first. We also get a 1 mile wide corridor through Quebec so as not to cut off our maritime brothers and sisters, lots of good folks out there.
Quebec seems to forget who won the battle on the plains of Abraham.
Hasn’t been a referendum since PM Cretien told them if they go they take their share of the national debt with them

Their lumber loads look about as heavy as what we'd haul (>52,000 lbs. on the lead semi (we want that driver weight in the several months when the roads are white) and >30,000 lbs. on the tail trailer). I can say that because the units of lumber are identical or close to the same as what we hauled.a
Anything under 88,000 lbs of grain in a Ontario B-train Hopper bottom is light plus ~40,000 lb tare makes a gross of 128k. Often loaded heavier than that so your estimates are pretty darn close

Last edited:
Glad I have your seal of approval on common knowledge.
Anything under 88,000 lbs of grain in a Ontario B-train Hopper bottom is light plus ~40,000 lb tare makes a gross of 128k. Often loaded heavier than that so your estimates are pretty darn close
B trains and triaxle pups can run 63 tonnes or just under 140k all day long. I've ran both. Matter of fact most are registered for 63,500 kg. Some pits *cough* stupid Lafarge *cough* wanna load your setup at reduced gross weight if ya haven't been measured by the Ministry.

20190115_130626.jpgScreenshot_2019-04-25-18-14-01.png

Holy crap, that's a lot of information for one little pea sized brain to comprehend.

I'm guessing you proved me wrong but I already knew that. :wink:
We're all products of our experience and what we can deduce, calculate, etc. I'm a geezer so have had more experience (at least that I can remember). I just saw different things. Nothing more.

You pointed out the big difference, tare weight. Thanks. The equipment out of Anchorage and (particularly) Fairbanks is built for the truck-destroying haul road. So it's common for the tractors to weigh 25K, lift-axle semis (mostly 45' flats (120' overall) commonly weigh about 15K, and 2-axle converter dollies weight 5K. So instead of 40,000 lb. tare weights, the tare weight of rigs in Anchorage and Fairbanks run about 60K. SetofDeckedTlrs.jpg

SDXdubs.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread