Freightliner Purchased a new 2013 Freightliner Glider kit from Harrison

Copperhead

I just ordered a 2013 FL Columbia mid roof XT glider in late February from Harrison Truck Center in Iowa. 16 pages of spec sheets. Absolutely loaded to the gills. $110,000. Unlike Fitzgerald, Harrison is a full blown Freightliner dealer and we had access to the entire spec'ing program available to the new trucks. Having a factory rebuilt 500 HP Series 60 DDEC IV, factory rebuilt 18 speed, brand new top line Meritor 14X aluminum housing drive axles with dualtrac option and lockers. Viper Blue Pearl with clear coat body paint, Viper Red frame rail / undercarriage paint. Alcoa durabrites all the way around with wide based on the drives. Wood grain everything interior. More gauges than the space shuttle (almost), and more cabinets than my kitchen (almost). And, of course, built in fridge. Arctic insulation package on cab and sleeper and premium noise abatement insulation package. Sleeper windows. Webasto heater factory installed under bunk. Premium stereo radio/CD with iPod / USB connections and weather bands. Full warranties on everything.

And no emissions junk in sight.

Delivery not until July due to Schneider and other outfits clogging up the system with a lot of glider truck orders.

No... there is no "G" in the VIN. There is a "00" in the Vin that identifies it as a glider. Registered as a 2013 truck. No different than if someone built a kit car in their garage. It would be registered as a new vehicle. Yes.... you can build a kit car, use older engine to avoid emissions, just like a glider truck. What a country!!!

I just ordered a 2013 FL Columbia mid roof XT glider in late February from Harrison Truck Center in Iowa. 16 pages of spec sheets. Absolutely loaded to the gills. $110,000. Unlike Fitzgerald, Harrison is a full blown Freightliner dealer and we had access to the entire spec'ing program available to the new trucks. Having a factory rebuilt 500 HP Series 60 DDEC IV, factory rebuilt 18 speed, brand new top line Meritor 14X aluminum housing drive axles with dualtrac option and lockers. Viper Blue Pearl with clear coat body paint, Viper Red frame rail / undercarriage paint. Alcoa durabrites all the way around with wide based on the drives. Wood grain everything interior. More gauges than the space shuttle (almost), and more cabinets than my kitchen (almost). And, of course, built in fridge. Arctic insulation package on cab and sleeper and premium noise abatement insulation package. Sleeper windows. Webasto heater factory installed under bunk. Premium stereo radio/CD with iPod / USB connections and weather bands. Full warranties on everything.

Delivery not until July due to Schneider and other outfits clogging up the system with a lot of glider truck orders.

No... there is no "G" in the VIN. There is a "00" in the Vin that identifies it as a glider. Registered as a 2013 truck. No different than if someone built a kit car in their garage. It would be registered as a new vehicle. Yes.... you can build a kit car, use older engine to avoid emissions, just like a glider truck. What a country!!!

Sounds an awful lot like the Cowpiemobile.:kneeslap:

Hallelujah!

What a country!!!

I gotta disagree with this part. They should be able to make these things with brand new engines, and none of that emissions crap. Think of the fuel economy we'd be getting out of these things today, if the engineers were allowed to focus on fuel efficiency instead of all that useless emissions junk that actually makes fuel economy worse.

Pretty soon some ass hole unelected bureaucrat will change the wording of the law to say "vehicle" instead of "engine" in regards to the manufacture date and what kind of emissions garbage it has to have on it.

Damn shame they don't make the Classic anymore!!!

I got it all in my head.......

Classic with a stand up sleeper (not Condo or Midroof either) stretched to 300"wb car hauler front axle with air ride. A 6NZ with a 800HP cam, PDI ecm upgrade putting out about 1000hp with a set of twins on it, 7" stove top straight pipes with flappers...... Doing the Tim Allen grunt from Home Improvement right now.....LOL

Yes it is a shame. The closest one can get to the Classic now is the 1st generation Coronado that is offered as a glider. I would like to see the Classic and the FLD both offered.

I have yet to see the inside of a Coranado but IMO, Freightliner stopped making trucks when the dropped the Classic!

I always thought that they stopped making trucks when they quit making their conventionals with the aluminum hood.

Coronado looks a lot like Columbia on the inside, but dressed up.

Coronado looks a lot like Columbia on the inside, but dressed up.

It's essentially a Century with a square hood and a set forward steer axle, But the motor's still jammed under the cab like a Century and all of the Fancy trim is still plastic and "flimsy as hell" accordidng to a few guys I know that have them.

Like MOST Junkliners it'll be a rattle trap in a few years.

I always thought that they stopped making trucks when they quit making their conventionals with the aluminum hood.

I had one of those an 84 and the only thing different is the hood and windshields. Oh and can't forget the air ride..... that improved greatly!

I had one of those an 84 and the only thing different is the hood and windshields. Oh and can't forget the air ride..... that improved greatly!

The air ride in those older ones was pretty bad....The fiberglass hoods on the "Classics" were gooney lookin' to me but the aluminum hoods on the older ones looked pretty good.
A friend of mine bought the one of the first "White Freightliner" conventionals in 1974, It wasn't a bad lookin' truck but it was a piece of shlt....Rattled to pieces by 1978.

That air ride was Freightliners biggest mistake! I know I tried everything with it and couldn't get it to ride worth a crap. It was only slightly better than spring ride, but not by much.

all manufacturers have gone to using plastics in the design and construction of trucks. It enables them to achieve lower production costs and better fuel economy.

And the unfortunate side effect is equipment that does not last.

Works great for the large fleets that rotate through equipment quickly. They last just long enough to make it to trade in.

It's essentially a Century with a square hood and a set forward steer axle, But the motor's still jammed under the cab like a Century and all of the Fancy trim is still plastic and "flimsy as hell" accordidng to a few guys I know that have them.

Like MOST Junkliners it'll be a rattle trap in a few years.

If there's one thing I can't stand about a truck is when something starts rattling. I can't stand anything in the cab that rattles. Especially if the rattle is coming from somewhere I can't reach from the drivers seat & only rattles when the truck is moving. It's not like I can just set the auto-pilot and get out of my seat and try to figure out where it's coming from.

If there's one thing I can't stand about a truck is when something starts rattling. I can't stand anything in the cab that rattles. Especially if the rattle is coming from somewhere I can't reach from the drivers seat & only rattles when the truck is moving. It's not like I can just set the auto-pilot and get out of my seat and try to figure out where it's coming from.
You got a T660 right? I have T66o and nothing rattle in that truck.Man I love It!

I have had Freight shakers (Appropriatly nick named) I have driven many Binders and had the cabinets swing open on me going down the road, I had my microwave and t.v. crash to the floor.Not much you can do while driving But wait for a safe place to stop and hope you stuff ain't broke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread