Prominent Tax Attorney Roni Deutch Provides Tax Tips For Truckers

Mike

With tax season already upon us, The Tax Lady Roni Deutch is reaching out to the American trucking community with tax tips and advice specific to truckers.

North Highlands, CA (PRWEB) January 24, 2009 -- By reaching out to truckers in this country, Ms. Deutch is hoping that she can help many of them avoid owing a tax liability by filing accurate returns with the IRS.

"We have dozens of people calling my law firm every day who work in the trucking industry," claims Ms. Deutch. "Unfortunately, many truckers find themselves in a tough situation when it comes to filing tax returns. With the large set of confusing deductions and credits available to truckers, it can be very easy for someone to file an inaccurate return and end up owing a huge back tax payment to the IRS."

"Because of how complicated taxes can be for truckers I expected that there would be piles of information available to members of the trucking community," continued Ms. Deutch. "However, I quickly realized that there is not nearly enough information available. Thus, I decided to shed some light on the issue by compiling this list of tax tips specifically for truckers."

Keep Immaculate Records
With complicated tax-filing requirements specific to the trucking industry, numerous truckers get audited every year. While an audit is never a "good" thing, you should not have anything to worry about as long as your financial information is organized and supports your reported income, expenses, and other deductions.

Business Expenses
If you are self-employed, there are many truck-driving related expenses you can look into deducting. The basic rule of thumb with these deductions is that about anything that goes on or in your truck can be deducted as a business expense. This can include decorations for the inside of your cab, the materials you use to clean your truck, and even repair expenses.

Itemizing Tips
While itemizing expenses will not automatically lead to an audit, it does mean that the IRS is going to spend more time looking over your return. But there is not need to worry as long as you keep good records and keep all receipts. If you do not receive a receipt for a truck wash or other expense, then you can write down the amount, description, and date in a "receipt book." The IRS will allow this as proof for the expense as long as they are normal and expected expenses for your business, and do not appear to be excessive.

Meal Allowances
According to the IRS, you are allowed to deduct up to $52 worth of meal allowances per day, as long as you are on the road a full day. Keep a logbook with dates and cost of the meals you eat while on the road so that you can keep track of these expenses.

Multiple State Taxes
Perhaps the biggest tax headaches truck drivers face is the taxes they have to pay in every state they are registered to drive their truck in. For some truckers, this is can be as little as 1 or 2 states. However, for truckers driving across the country, this number can quickly add up. Each state will collect vehicle registration fees, and some states will charge other fees as well. Make sure your tax preparer is up to date on each state's tax codes regarding out-of-state truck drivers.

Truck Weight
If you drive a truck with a large gross weight (over 55,000 pounds), you will need to pay the federal highway use tax by August 31st of each year. If you have not already purchased a truck with this weight, be aware that if you do, this tax will be due for the first time at the end of the month in which you make your truck purchase. After you have paid it for the first time, you can decide to pay it every year in August, or in quarterly payments to reduce the burden.

Fuel Taxes
Luckily for truckers, most states appreciate your purchase of their fuel and will give you specific tax breaks. Therefore, it is imperative that you keep good track of your mileage and fuel purchases.

Hire a Professional
With so many IRS rules and regulations as well as deductions and credits available to truck drivers, you should definitely consider hiring a tax professional to help you sort it all out. You may even find that your tax preparation fees pay for themselves because a competent professional tax preparer will be able to advise you of all the deductions and credits you are eligible for, even the new ones you may not know about yet.

Millions of people recognize tax attorney Roni Deutch as The Tax Lady®. She has been helping taxpayers nationwide resolve their tax liabilities for eighteen years. As an industry leader, she has saved her clients tens of millions of dollars and has helped thousands of families settle their back taxes.

About Roni Lynn Deutch, A Professional Tax Corporation
Roni Lynn Deutch, A Professional Tax Corporation is a nationally recognized law firm that has been helping clients find solutions to their back tax liabilities for eighteen years. To find out more about the law firm or its IRS tax relief services, visit their website at RoniDeutch.com or call 1-888-TAX-LADY. To learn more about The Tax Lady Roni Deutch you can visit her blog or YouTube profile.

Mathew Guiver
Roni Lynn Deutch, A Professional Tax Corporation
877-232-8477 Ext. 1914
Roni Deutch ? Tax Lawyers Offering IRS Tax Relief And Back Taxes Assistance

Sounds like it is mostly for owner/operators though. I still am not sure what applies to me as a company driver. There was a mention in my driving class of a deduction available and it was somewhat confirmed here as a "per diem" deduction of around 50 dollars a day if you are away from home. The thing is I know I must be missing something and will get screwed somehow...I mean lets say I am making 40k a year and taxes are 15% that is 6000 in owed taxes. Then you say I am home at least 1 day every week that would be 52 days out of 365...lets just round it up and say 65 days home 300 days out. That is a 15,000 dollar deduction. If that is really the way it works than I would never have to pay taxes...what am I missing?

Sounds like it is mostly for owner/operators though. I still am not sure what applies to me as a company driver. There was a mention in my driving class of a deduction available and it was somewhat confirmed here as a "per diem" deduction of around 50 dollars a day if you are away from home.

Meal Allowances
According to the IRS, you are allowed to deduct up to $52 worth of meal allowances per day, as long as you are on the road a full day. Keep a logbook with dates and cost of the meals you eat while on the road so that you can keep track of these expenses.
Plus, keep your copy of the logs....as a reference and proof.

Luap,

Much of this does tend to pertain to owner operators, because they endure far more expenses.

On top of Per Diem, pay special attention to this one...
Business Expenses
If you are self-employed, there are many truck-driving related expenses you can look into deducting. The basic rule of thumb with these deductions is that about anything that goes on or in your truck can be deducted as a business expense. This can include decorations for the inside of your cab, the materials you use to clean your truck, and even repair expenses.

You would be surprised at how much money you spend on things or the truck, or simply spend as part of your trucking job.

• computer
  • cell phone
  • internet
  • paper towels (and any cleaning items for the truck)
  • personal vehicle mileage to and from the store when buying items for the truck
  • alarm clock
  • notebooks, notepads, etc....
The amount of things that many truck drivers never claim, is amazing.

Sounds like it is mostly for owner/operators though. I still am not sure what applies to me as a company driver. There was a mention in my driving class of a deduction available and it was somewhat confirmed here as a "per diem" deduction of around 50 dollars a day if you are away from home. The thing is I know I must be missing something and will get screwed somehow...I mean lets say I am making 40k a year and taxes are 15% that is 6000 in owed taxes. Then you say I am home at least 1 day every week that would be 52 days out of 365...lets just round it up and say 65 days home 300 days out. That is a 15,000 dollar deduction. If that is really the way it works than I would never have to pay taxes...what am I missing?

The deduction allowed would be subtracted from your gross earnings. Unless it's changed recently...your per diem would be the number of days out times the allowable amount ($52.00) times 80%. The 80% of total per diem deduction is then subtracted from your gross earnings. This lowers your taxable income. The deduction is not subtracted from your tax owed figure.

Also, the items which Bull lists is done the same way. The allowable deductions are subtracted from your gross taxable earnings, and then the result will be your taxable earnings.

-ss-

To make it all simple, use a software program like "tax cut", or find a CPA that knows trucking to do your taxes.

Given the fairly large "standard deduction" you might find out that it will be better to go that route than itemize the items I listed, but just to be sure, you want to list everything possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread