Pregnant and trying to cope

AsphaltRodeo

Rawr I Say. Rawr.
I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant and my husband is, of course, an OTR driver. It's been two weeks since I've seen him and I won't get to see him until Christmas. Of course I knew what I was getting into when we first got together. Al though it's been a short time into his trucking career we never expected to get pregnant so soon. This is out second pregnancy, we had a miscarriage back in May, so we are both scared this time. By the time he gets to come home again I will be half way through my pregnancy and we will already know what we are having.

I'm having a hard time coming up with creative ways to keep him involved in my pregnancy. I've sent him the ultrasound pictures from the one ultrasound I've had and of course recording the baby's heartbeat. I even found a clean newborn sized diaper and it's now currently hooked to his sun visor in his truck. Outside of those things I really can't think of how to keep him involved and how to cope with the loneliness that has gotten bad since I got pregnant. And every time he leaves to go back on the road it's getting that much harder.

Advice would be GREAT!!!!
~AR

Its hard missing someone, and even harder in your situation. Do y'all get to talk much while he is gone? How do you communicate? I think a lot of times just talking and sharing stuff helps. Have you picked out baby names yet?

Do you have any kind of support system at home for when he is gone?

Awe...keep your spirits up. It sounds like you've been sharing the pregnancy well with your hubby.
The loneliness is hard to deal with and get used to, especially, when you're eager to be with someone.
Be strong for yourself, your baby and your hubby!:)
Are you going to name the baby Pete, by chance?:)

We talk several time through the day while he is driving and even when he stops to take his 10 hour break. Right now we're mainly using our cell phones to talk and every once in a while we will get on Skype. I only have so much data on my netbook to use per month. We had our baby names picked out very shortly after we found out that we're pregnant.

As for support... right now I live with my dad and step-mom and 3 year old brother. I'm really high risk when I'm pregnant so we thought it best for me to be able to stay some place where I would not have to constantly be on my feel. I rely a lot on my parents to take care of me, aside from fiances. It sounds sad but we're not going to risk a second miscarriage. I have a blood clotting disorder so I was put on bedrest by my OB as soon as I found out I was pregnant again. Plus it had been barely 3 months after the miscarriage when I got pregnant again. But I always feel left out being at home. Like I don't really belong anymore since they have a 3 year old to deal with. (A very quick piece of background.. up until 2 months ago it had been a few years since my dad and I talked due to some really crappy things that happened. None of it was either of our fault.) So since I came back into his life and he has a much much younger child it just feels like I'm not really wanted so the loneliness is only further increased.

It does sound like you guys are doing all the right things. Its good that you joined on here too where you can talk to others that understand. As far as creative ideas to help share your pregnancy with hubby, how about starting a "Mommy Diary"? Write something each day about your pregnancy, wishes, hopes dreams, loneliness, etc. Anything related to what you are feeling. You can save it for when hubby comes home and give it to him when he goes back out, to read a little at a time on his down time, or you could share passages with him a little at a time each day. I also think it would be great to keep the diary like that and hang on to it until the child is old enough to read and understand it. It would be a special gift not only for hubby but for your child as well.

Keep your chin up, life is what it is with alls its werid twist and turns, but in the end it all works out somehow some way.

Tominator... are you stalking me? lol And yeah I've been keeping my chin up and pushing through day by day.

Chicken I'm sorry to say that no we are not naming the baby Rob. If we have a girl it will be Kaylee Grace and if we have a boy it will be Calvin Curtis. Sorry hon.

I even found a clean newborn sized diaper and it's now currently hooked to his sun visor in his truck.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! View attachment 14307 No diapers! That's like thinking about food poisoning while on your way to your favorite restaurant. Bad.

You said you'll already know if it's a boy or girl next time you see him. So when he gets home, have him get rid of that diaper and replace it with one of those cute little pink or blue baby pajama things. You don't want to give him pre-partum depression by having him constantly thinking about dirty, stinky diapers. (But don't climb into the truck to switch 'em yourself, not a good idea with a baby belly)

Are you going to name the baby Pete, by chance?:)

Pete, Ken or maybe Mack would be a good name for a boy.
If it's a girl, .. I don't know, ... name her Volvo? View attachment 14308
View attachment 14307View attachment 14308

No Pete, Ken, or Mack. Sorry guys and gals.

In my defense HE put the diaper on the visor. I had it stuffed in some place on his console hoping it would take him a month or three to find. So you need to talk to him about the diaper thing.

As for climbing in the truck. Tch. I love his truck. Don't like the company but I like his truck. I love semi's. <3 Last time he was home we slept in his truck. I actually prefer sleeping in a moving or idling truck then I do in my own bed. I'm odd. I know.

Oh since I can't help it I'm going to post my last ultrasound pictures from when I was 10 weeks. (I'm 12 almost 13 now)
View attachment 4651

If you and your husband have Facebook, look into an application called "baby gaga". It will send a message out each week called "My Baby's Progress" and track the development of the baby from conception to birth. It's fun to see when your baby has eyes and develops other parts through the pregnancy.

I was shocked when you said you won't be seeing him till Christmas. I see you live in Texas, can't the company find freight to route him through the house at least every few weeks? I had mentioned in another one of your threads that he should try and stick it out there for a while....scratch what I said!!! He has a family, he should find a company that has steady freight lanes somewhere closer to where you two live. In my opinion and some may disagree, but I think it's absolutely unnecessary to to keep a driver out three months unless he specifically wants to be out that long. And from what your saying that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm sure with a little bit of research you can find a place that could get him through the house a lot more often than every three months.

I typed up a post kind of saying what you just said. My girlfriend and I are in a similar situation and I explained how I was handling it. But after I posted it, the damn thing was like twice as tall as my screen. So I shortened it and blamed the edit on typos or something.

Einstein was wrong when he said nothing could travel faster than the speed of light. He never saw me typing.

@ABF the problem with him coming home before Christmas is that he isn't making any money. Hell, he didn't get a check this week because his truck was in the shop in Miridian, Mississippi and he couldn't get to a truck stop to transflow in his hotel receipts so they took it out of his check. Between that and the money that gets taken out every week for his C1 loan and the all of 200 miles he got before his truck broke down he actually ended with a negative check this week. Though he will be getting refunded next week for the hotel room money they took out. Plus the $250 for break down pay. (It's $50/day after 48 hours but since his truck was in the shop from last Monday 10/10-10/12 and he had to put it BACK in the shop on 10/15 because of the SAME electrical problem his dispatcher started the break down pay on 10/16 instead of making him wait.)

If he were making money he would come way more often but since he isn't he can't come home.

And we're not technically married... yet. (Though he calls me his wife and I call him my husband.) We're only engaged and he is bent and determined to get me my engagement ring for Christmas. Don't ask why I don't already have it. Far too long of a story.

But yes. The baby diaper in the visor will have to do for now and eventually it will be replaced with a cute onsie and some ultrasound pics and a ballon with what we're having on it. And a banner on the grill of the truck. And some ribbon decorating the cabinets and maybe even some little shoes girl or boy shoes....

(In my defense he put the diaper in the visor and he wants the banner announcing what we're having on the grill of his truck.)

Just so duckie knows that. IT WAS NOT MY IDEA TO PUT THE DIAPER THERE! Bwahahaha

I bet you can't wait to go to Home Depot and get the paint for the baby's room. Just waiting to find out whether to get pink or blue, LOL.

Bite me, duckie.

And no. I can't paint the room. We rent and our landlord said no. Boo to him. And I wouldn't paint it blue or pink. I've always wanted to paint a sky on the ceiling with clouds and those little glow in the dark stars. And then the walls would be a pretty forest. So no pink and blue for the room. Just white. Sniffle sniffle.

And again in my defense HE WANTS to put the banner on the grill of his truck. He doesn't mind me decorating his truck. He thinks it's.... "cute". I'm not sure if this is good or bad....

Bite me, duckie.

I'm afraid I might get shocked if I bite too hard into the flat screen.

And no. I can't paint the room. We rent and our landlord said no. Boo to him. And I wouldn't paint it blue or pink. I've always wanted to paint a sky on the ceiling with clouds and those little glow in the dark stars. And then the walls would be a pretty forest. So no pink and blue for the room. Just white. Sniffle sniffle.

And again in my defense HE WANTS to put the banner on the grill of his truck. He doesn't mind me decorating his truck. He thinks it's.... "cute". I'm not sure if this is good or bad....

I had those glow in the dark stars on my ceiling when I was a kid. They only glow for about a month. And one wall was papered with an image of Saturn and 3 of it's moons.

My dad's house, one of the upstairs bedrooms has this scenic wallpaper that looks like a forest scene. I like it.

If you're going to hide a diaper in his truck, wait until the baby is born and hide a used diaper in there. Preferably in place of the cabin air filter. Why should you be the only one experiencing the joys of dirty diapers while he's on the road?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread