Power inverter

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
I am guessing it's a bad sign to have a continuous 4-5 amp draw from a power inverter.

With absolutely nothing plugged in.

Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm............yep.

wondering if it is shorting out internally, draining your batteries.

I would take the cover off and blow it out. I had one that a guy fixed at a CB shop when it was pulling like that. It was just dust and condensation from getting hot or cold causing a short.

Worth a shot.

Plan is Monday when the wife is at work to take it out and open it up.

Thinking of wiring a remote outlet so that it's not running into power strip for the stuff I need it for.

Mainly, charging the Bluetooth, printer/scanner and microwave.

They do use power even though nothing plugged in but that's way too much!

I've been wanting to replace it with a 2kw full sine inverter if I can find the one I want.

And by the way, the Espar D2 heater is in just about every boat and yacht. One for each cabin.

XANTREX is top of the line.

Indeed! I will only use Xantrex products. I especially like the inverter/charger varieties. When I am at home on the weekend, I hook up shore power to the Xantrex and it makes sure and keeps batteries fully charged. Batteries last longer. On the road, if I am using the inverter a lot while stopped, along with built in fridge, webasto bunk heater, etc, I have portable generator that is in its own box on the frame rail. I fire it up, hook it up to the Xantrex, and batteries get fully charged while I continue to use power in the sleeper/cab. Xantrex makes reliable products. A little pricey, but one area where you get your money's worth.

Been considering the xantrex inverter/charger. Probably be sooner than later now with this revelation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread