Potential Health Requirement Changes for DOT Physicals

Mike

I was listening to Land Line Now last night and there is a push right now to potentially change up the requirements to pass a D.O.T. Physical. Several factors are being looked at which could effect many of the current drivers out on the road right now. I don't remember exactly who it is that is pushing all of this, but this is a recap of what I heard.

BMI - Body Mass Index
. A way to establish a maximum BMI and perform testing is being looked into. Obesity is a big problem throughout the United States, but in trucking, it might be a more common than just about any other industry. The objective is to set a maximum BMI that must be passed in order to pass a D.O.T. Physical.

Sleep Apnea - Currently there are multiple methods of treating sleep apnea including a CPAP device, oral treatments, as well as multiple surgical procedures. From what I understood last night, the push seemed to be toward requiring drivers to have a surgery performed. The problem, the surgical procedures have a low rate of success. At the very minimum, whoever is pushing this wants to require drivers with sleep apnea to have regular checkups with their doctor to ensure they are using the devices such as the CPAP. As mentioned on the show, it is going to be hard for a doctor to tell if you have been using the machine or not though. The concern with sleep apnea is it's direct relation to driver fatigue, if not treated properly.

The show got into a couple other health issues as well, but I don't remember them right now. The point is though, don't be surprised if you see these health issues move to the forefront of many special interest groups who are already looking ways to make drivers "safer".

It is starting to sound like D.O.T. physicals could become a two week process if certain people get their way......

BMI requirements? There goes half the drivers!

yeah, then let's see if those "seats behind the wheel" can be filled.......

i think not..............

i never recommend to anyone to get into trucking these days. more money, better lifestyle can be found elsewhere's these days.

gotta be some sort of "citizen's action group" behind all of this nonsense......

and IF that's the case, i say they give up thier drivers licenses too if they ARE over weight.........and you know.............there goes 2 thirds of them.....!!:woohoo:

For the reason you just said, I would be kind of interested in seeing stuff like this passed. The only drawback is that people who have been out here for a long time might find themselves out of work, and for that reason, I don't like the idea of this

On the positive side though, this Nation would realize very quickly just how important this industry is once they run off a big part of the workforce

That BMI factor might be a discrimination factor if it goes through...Which I highly doubt it will get passed.

Too many overweight teamsters to allow that to happen.:thud:

How abougt a BMI qualification for the fat ass cops out there on the road? Sometimes I wonder how some of these city cops even get out of their cars, yet they are supposed to be in shape enough to take down a criminal if needed?

And people are worried about the weight of truck drivers? How about focusing on those people who's job is to "Protect and Serve".

How abougt a BMI qualification for the fat ass cops out there on the road? Sometimes I wonder how some of these city cops even get out of their cars, yet they are supposed to be in shape enough to take down a criminal if needed?

And people are worried about the weight of truck drivers? How about focusing on those people who's job is to "Protect and Serve".

fat assed cops.............from what.....all those donuts...??? :biglaugh: you bet..!

let's look at our school system for a moment, because this "could happen" to us...

the school departments in many areas are pulling out the soda, candy, and ice cream vending machines at many schools, why.... you ask? because of health conscience individuals wanting for a better nutritional diet for the kids...many kids in school ARE OVERWEIGHT, just watch your local news, or read the papers.

ok, now fast forward a bit....

if anything like that BMI WAS TO BE PASSED for trucker's, what's to say that truckstops wouldn't be targeted for snack foods and soda and such to be pulled from the shelfs there too.........??

extreme thinking from me, probably.............

but, if self rightous groups get THIER WAY, that's a possiblity that CAN HAPPEN..........

i have always believed, that if you ain't in a particular industry, DON'T GET INVOLVED WITH IT............!!! STAY OUTTA MY BUSINESS....!!!:banghead:

LandLineNow

i just sent a rather long e-mail to the above link and asked for more information regarding the BMI. now, if no one posts anything here, they at least have my e-mail address, then i will copy/paste it here for all to see. i am very interested now as to what was being said. i wish i had satelite radio, maybe someday, when i become rich and famous, i'll buy one....

but then, if i EVER become rich and famous...........i won't be too concerned anymore about the occupation of truck driving...........

I'LL BE PERMANETLY RETIRED...........!!!!!!!!!:beep:

XM definitely keeps me informed on this stuff. Hope they respond and fill you in on exactly what is going on.

XM definitely keeps me informed on this stuff. Hope they respond and fill you in on exactly what is going on.

ask and ye shall recieve my friend. i got this e-mail from Mark Reddig, the host of Land Line Now

enjoy his response, as i did.

-------------------------------------

Glenn,

Here's the straight scoop. The CDL Medical Review Board, which decides the medical standards that truckers have to meet in order to get and keep a medical card, are focusing on sleep apnea.

BMI - or Body Mass Index - is one way to determine whether you are at greater risk. Note here that it doesn't mean you will have it, just that you're at greater risk.

In addition, most measurements for BMI that are commonly used are highly inaccurate, putting many people into higher BMI categories that should not be there.

All that being said, since BMI is a risk factor for apnea, and since apnea can lead to fatigue if not treated, the Medical Review Board is proposing that that any driver above a certain BMI be denied medical certification.

This could potentially take thousands of safe drivers who do not have apnea - or who treat it successfully - off the road.

Needless to say, OOIDA is opposing this regulation strongly. It is not based on good science or good medicine. It is a formula for denying good, safe, law-abiding drivers the right to make a living.

I hope this helps. If you think this would clear things up for other truckers, please feel free to share it with them.

Thanks,

Mark H. Reddig
Host
Land Line Now

And just think, if it wasn't for the OOIDA, how many truck drivers would even know about this going on right now? None.

These guys/gals are great. Nice to have people doing what they can to fight for the drivers.

Thanks for pursuing the details of this Pro1

And just think, if it wasn't for the OOIDA, how many truck drivers would even know about this going on right now? None.

These guys/gals are great. Nice to have people doing what they can to fight for the drivers.

Thanks for pursuing the details of this Pro1

you're welcomed.

i may be a company driver, but for at least 2 years now, i too have been a member of the OOIDA, and i'd highly recommend all drivers to join. in fact, my memberships dues are up in march..........

Landline Now is getting back into this on the show this evening. Mark Reddig is currently talking to Bozo about it, saying the girl who is tracking all of this has some new information they are going to get into.

Landline Now is getting back into this on the show this evening. Mark Reddig is currently talking to Bozo about it, saying the girl who is tracking all of this has some new information they are going to get into.

hmmm..........maybe my e-mail ( and e-mails from others) sparked continued interest.....?? i will have to get a satelite radio some day.............seems like i'm missing a very good talk show......

i'm all for it. i don't want some over weight out a shape driver around me having a heart attack and wrecking his truck into mine. i think the physicals should be more stringent anyways.

i'm all for it. i don't want some over weight out a shape driver around me having a heart attack and wrecking his truck into mine. i think the physicals should be more stringent anyways.

yes, but if you read the response i got from the radio show host, those tests for the BMI are inaccurate, AND this could cause even drivers with no sleep apnea to be out of a job. take you Cerburus for instance. you might be an "average" size/weight for your body type. then you go for a DOT physical, the doctor finds your BMI excessive...........you COULD BE OUT OF A JOB...

anyone morbidly obese should be helped with a diet/excersise plan. but for those of us drivers that fail the test due to inaccurate BMI testing, this can lead to high unemployment throughout the industry.

The most accurate testing for BMI is the water test. It is very expensive, and still not 100% accurate. This type of testing will cost the trucking companies tons of money. I think some companies already use BMI testing during their pre-hire, but not sure what kind of test they are doing.

I do agree with Cerberus though when he says the D.O.T. physicals are not tough enough, but the physical condition of the trucker isn't what these people are going after. The only concern they have is sleep apnea. They could care less how out of shape some drivers are.

i understand what you two guys are talking about and agree. we are all different with different body types and require different needs. i wasn't actually commenting on the sleep apnea since we all get it from time to time. it's just natural and it happens. our bodies require less sleep at times.

i stand firm on the over weight thing. i have seen it too many times where drivers get out of there trucks and the trucks will lean back upright after they get out. they are rounder than tall. and we shouldn't have one scale for every one. each person should be judged individually. according to the scales i am over weight. i laugh and so would you if you saw me. i'm 5'11 and bounce in between 185-190. but the charts at the doctors office says i should be something like 160-165. i would have the ethiopian look going on if i did that. lol

The most accurate testing for BMI is the water test. It is very expensive, and still not 100% accurate. This type of testing will cost the trucking companies tons of money. I think some companies already use BMI testing during their pre-hire, but not sure what kind of test they are doing.

I do agree with Cerberus though when he says the D.O.T. physicals are not tough enough, but the physical condition of the trucker isn't what these people are going after. The only concern they have is sleep apnea. They could care less how out of shape some drivers are.

this is One test, i'll be back if i find more:

Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator - BariatricEdge.com

actually, they all seem to be the same. i remember some years ago watching a program where a device like a "C-clamp" was use to measure the fat on a person's body. the doctor or nurse, would sorta pinch you, then put the pinched flesh into this c-clamp, and measure the body mass/fat...

apparently, right now, i am 5'9" and i weigh 185 pounds. according to the BMI, i should be 166 pounds, to be "healthy"...........yeah, that's gonna happen real soon.........

more links for BMI testing, but they are all the same, as my above link:
Looking for bmi calculator? | mybmicalculator.info

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread