Paying it forward

SamHyde

Some kid approached me while I was dropping fuel and asked about getting his cdl. I told him this industry will either be really good to you or it wont, and it depends on the decisions you make. I had him get out a pen and paper and write down company names and plans of action on how he can make the most money in this industry. I gave him knowledge that took me awhile to accumulate in 15 mins. I told him the sectors of trucking that have the highest income potential and how to get into each one. If he heeds my advice he'll be in a pretty good position 3-4 years from now.

I did such a good deed I can probably be an ass hole for like a year straight.

Some kid approached me while I was dropping fuel and asked about getting his cdl. I told him this industry will either be really good to you or it wont, and it depends on the decisions you make. I had him get out a pen and paper and write down company names and plans of action on how he can make the most money in this industry. I gave him knowledge that took me awhile to accumulate in 15 mins. I told him the sectors of trucking that have the highest income potential and how to get into each one. If he heeds my advice he'll be in a pretty good position 3-4 years from now.

For what?

Ruining the kid's life?

Good for you. Trucking seems to be in a slump. But the pendulum swings both ways providing it's anchored.

You might have saved a guy from his parents' basement. Props to you!

Really? Havent noticed!

12-14 hours a day. $30 per hour plus OT ! :cool:
I sure see a lot of commentary about cheap freight and caveats about pulling it. If the cost of health insurance isn't getting to you, it looks like you're in a good position at more than $100K/year.

I sure see a lot of commentary about cheap freight and caveats about pulling it. If the cost of health insurance isn't getting to you, it looks like you're in a good position at more than $100K/year.
Just started with this company a few months ago so haven't done a year yet. New hires get alot of hours here because we're learning the company's system and all the gas stations. It should level out to about 11 hours a day. I've seen plenty of drivers show me their pay stubs at the end of last year and some were right at 100k. Alot of 80-90k.

Just started with this company a few months ago so haven't done a year yet. New hires get alot of hours here because we're learning the company's system and all the gas stations. It should level out to about 11 hours a day. I've seen plenty of drivers show me their pay stubs at the end of last year and some were right at 100k. Alot of 80-90k.
That's the most optimistic thing I've seen in about a month. A friend, with whom I drove in 2012 and 2013 and is now truckin' out of Las Vegas, was offered more than a buck a mile to run Fairbanks -- Deadhorse.

That's the most optimistic thing I've seen in about a month. A friend, with whom I drove in 2012 and 2013 and is now truckin' out of Las Vegas, was offered more than a buck a mile to run Fairbanks -- Deadhorse.
That's gas hauling in Los Angeles for you. Most of us are between 80-110k. The cost of living kills it and makes it feel like you only make 50 when you compare to other regions of the country. I still can't even buy a house; not even close.

That's gas hauling in Los Angeles for you. Most of us are between 80-110k. The cost of living kills it and makes it feel like you only make 50 when you compare to other regions of the country. I still can't even buy a house; not even close.
I kinda get it. In 1966 I began full-time trucking when I drove for Richfield out of its Richmond (CA) terminal. The bottom line is that it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep.

I have 4 sisters in Cali. The nearest to you is in Santa Maria. Although I've done taxes professionally, I'm not sure I'd want to tackle any of their returns unless they got into a jam. Three of them are pretty well off and one is very well off through no fault of her own. Two of them have Prop 13 houses in Napa. All became established before the madness hit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread