Passing more than 1 truck at a time???

Volrunner

I was driving in Indiana on I-65 North about 40 miles north of Indianapolis. There are signs that say "trucks and vehicles with trailers use right lane". I was driving along and got in the left lane to pass another truck. I was not speeding at all and was not in a construction zone or anything. When I got over there were like 5 trucks running along with no space at all between them. I was able to pass all of them and then got back over. Then I here a siren and an Indianapolis City Police officer came up beside me then cut in front of me and almost made me wreck. I slowed down and started to get over on the shoulder and he fell back and got behind me. He came up to my drivers door at an almost dead run and then jumped up on my steps and said that he stopped me because I was passing more than 1 truck at a time and that it was only legal to pass one truck at a time. He was just yelling this at me over and over again. I explained that I had not driven in Indiana a lot and was unaware of the law. He then told me it was a national law and it was going to be a 800.00 fine. Now mind you I noticed he was an Indianapolis City Police officer and I was over 40 miles outside on Indy. I never questioned him on that fact. He asked for my license and registration and I stayed very calm and professional and gave him both. He took a quick look and then said "I am gonna give you a break on this, just learn from this that you can only pass 1 truck at a time not 5". I said thank you so much and then just about lost it when he jumped down off my steps and started back to his car and his hat blew off into the road and he just about got himself killed running to get it. I am thinking that he was just in a hurry and since it took me a mile to pass everyone that it slowed him down and pissed him off. I have never in my life heard of such a thing. Has anyone ever heard of such a law?

Indiana are a bunch of truck haters. Make sure you don't have a GPS unit suction cupped to the windshield. If it's not within 6" of the top of the windshield, and not contacting the wiper sweep. Its a $300 fine. I use my suction cup mount as a kick stand and leave it on the dash.

Never heard of a such law. I some times wonder if law enforcement even know what some of the laws read. what was a city cop doing 40 miles outside the city buffer zone. Karma was after him while he was chasing that hat too.

I would have stated, "indeed, I passed only one truck at a time. Only time I could pass more that one truck at a time is if they were side by side." Even if those trucks were 25 feet off of each other, one can only pass one at a time. Pass one, pass the next, pass the next, etc. But still, only one at a time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread