PA tax on out of state truckers

Vinnie

I run daily trips from CT to PA and now PA wants to tax me for delivering in their state. Anyone know anything about this.

You have to pay IFTA to PA if you run in their state. It equals the per-gallon tax on fuel burned driving the truck in PA. That's the only one I can think of.

Last edited:
I been paying IFTA for years their saying its a tangible tax, even though I don't own any property in PA

I think it's a good question to direct at a good bean-counter. Then come back and tell us what the answer is.

Call OOIDA
816-229-5791

They will answer your questions even if you aren't a member.

Last year when I got my authority, I passed through Arkansas. Before I even got home I had a letter from the ark dept of revenue stating I had to create an account with them even as an out of state carrier to file my ad valorem returns.

Ark charges an ad valorem tax on transported good because moving them from manufacturer to market "add value" so they tax it.

http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/exciseTax/MiscTax/Pages/adValorem.aspx

As a business doing interstate transportation, you have to deal with every states laws. And there are so damn many things to cover it's ridiculous.

When I finally did file my ark ad valorem tax, it said I owe nothing. But I still have to file the stupid piece of paper. I really came down to if I had an actual office in ark it seemed.

A quick search shows PA does have an ad valorem tax, but I can't see where it applies to carriers.

Last edited:
When I finally did file my ark ad valorem tax, it said I owe nothing. But I still have to file the stupid piece of paper. I really came down to if I had an actual office in ark it seemed.

No, it's a personal property tax based on the percentage of your mileage that occurred in AR.
The most I ever owed in taxes was $11.
The penalty for failure to file the quarterly report was $100, even if you owe zero.

KS does the same thing, or did.
I think I read where they eliminated the Ad Valorem tax in favor a more lucrative swindle.

Never heard of the PA tax but I read a few years ago that any company picking up or delivering in NJ would have a corporation tax levied on the company.

The PA tax doesn't surprise me.
They have one of the most corrupt bureaucracies in the nation.
They're in the top 10% for fuel tax plus the confiscatory tolls...
They waste more money than responsibly managed states spend on infrastructure.

And yet they appear before congress every year or two begging for the right to toll I-80 because they're deeply in debt.
Pathetic!!

thanks for the info , I sent the paperwork to my accountant. Didn't I read about a war that was started because of Taxation without Representation. I swear that's where were headed.

thanks for the info , I sent the paperwork to my accountant. Didn't I read about a war that was started because of Taxation without Representation. I swear that's where were headed.

You are not a resident of Pennsylvania, so you cannot have representation. The residents of PA may be in support of the tax and therefore have the taxation with representation.

No, it's a personal property tax based on the percentage of your mileage that occurred in AR.
The most I ever owed in taxes was $11.
The penalty for failure to file the quarterly report was $100, even if you owe zero.

KS does the same thing, or did.
I think I read where they eliminated the Ad Valorem tax in favor a more lucrative swindle.

Never heard of the PA tax but I read a few years ago that any company picking up or delivering in NJ would have a corporation tax levied on the company.

The PA tax doesn't surprise me.
They have one of the most corrupt bureaucracies in the nation.
They're in the top 10% for fuel tax plus the confiscatory tolls...
They waste more money than responsibly managed states spend on infrastructure.

And yet they appear before congress every year or two begging for the right to toll I-80 because they're deeply in debt.
Pathetic!!

Kansas did that back in 2006 and charged a minimum whether you entered the state or not. Had quite a discussion which I won with them on it and did not pay.

Our for fathers weren't residents of England either

They were citizens of the crown who controlled this country.

You were claiming you had no representation. I was just pointing out that when a state enacts a tax it is for their citizens, not visitors who pass through.

Guess you hate IFTA.

I deliver and pick up in PA 2 to 3 times a week. I don't know of any tax other than IFTA. It is expensive enough being as the places I go are along the toll roads. Plus the extra fuel because of them damned mountains they put in the state.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread