Owner Operators - Paying yourself a wage and keeping your books up to date

Let me ask this a different way-

If you buy fuel at the end of the month, but don’t see the invoice until the next month- shouldn’t the fuel that was purchased and use be recorded in the first months numbers?

Doesn't matter what method you choose.

The IRS uses it as a red flag if you switch from year to year.

If you buy fuel at the end of the month, but don’t see the invoice until the next month- shouldn’t the fuel that was purchased and use be recorded in the first months numbers?
I record it on the date it was purchased, as I do anything.

Again.....

Cash vs accrual accounting methods. Once you start one, you have to stick with it.

Both are GAAP

Ok I have another question-

If I buy something on July 15, some companies start to charge interest on it after July 30th, my end of month statement date.

Yes, I understand accounts past 30 days old get charged interest on past due accounts. But that one invoice is only two weeks old. That doesn’t seem right to me? :confused-96:

Edit- just to be clear, invoices usually say “interest of x% will be charged after 30 days”

Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
And we generally accept that doing our accounting one way or the other will bring less awkward questions in an audit, than trying to play Chinese menu with those accounting practices.

And we generally accept that doing our accounting one way or the other will bring less awkward questions in an audit, than trying to play Chinese menu with those accounting practices.
Yeah whatever you choose, stick with it. At least for a while. Then have a damn good valid reason for the switch to explain to the auditors.

If I buy something on July 15, some companies start to charge interest on it after July 30th, my end of month statement date.

Yes, I understand accounts past 30 days old get charged interest on past due accounts. But that one invoice is only two weeks old. That doesn’t seem right to me? :confused-96:

Edit- just to be clear, invoices usually say “interest of x% will be charged after 30 days”
What You Need to Know About Invoice Payment Terms | QuickBooks Canada

Ah. Ok. It depends on how they’ve set up their invoicing :cautious:

Invoice Discount is just another form of factoring or QuickPay.

Invoice Discount is just another form of factoring or QuickPay.

The heck you going on about now?

That isn't right. I would bring it up to them to have them correct it, or let them know I was finding a different place to do business.

That isn't right. I would bring it up to them to have them correct it, or let them know I was finding a different place to do business.
Apparently, it “could” be illegal to charge interest on accounts past due, except if it’s terms in a contract signed by both parties. Also, there’s limits on interest rates chargeable not to exceed set limits on a yearly amount.

I’m waiting for my accountant to get back to me on this.

But I agree with you. Thanks

Just starting out how can u find a good account that is dam good at keeping ur business books together and clear...I was also thinking of getting an laptop and excel spreadsheet to input everything....isn't easy to learn how to use the excell efficiently??thanks drivers

Just starting out how can u find a good account that is dam good at keeping ur business books together and clear...I was also thinking of getting an laptop and excel spreadsheet to input everything....isn't easy to learn how to use the excell efficiently??thanks drivers
I literally just write everything that comes in and out inside a composition notebook. At the end of the month, I add it all up. I also make note of how many per diem days for the month as well. It helps me with tax planning tremendously. I can't see paying someone else to do such a simple thing for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread