Trucking News: Oracle is joining Amazon and Uber in the race to digitize the 'antiquated' $800 billion trucking industry

Mike

Digital freight brokerage, as that sector is called, seeks to lessen the need for a middle-man when companies are trying to move their goods. Companies like Amazon and Uber have opened digital freight-brokerage departments, while trendy startups like Convoyand Transfix are attracting hundreds of millions of dollars in investments and big-name hires as they seek to digitize trucking.

And now, Oracle is the latest big-name tech company that's betting on matching companies with truckers.

The $39 billion cloud-computing giant announced on Thursday that it is partnering with Loadsmart, a digital freight broker, to ensure its customers can quickly match their loads with truckers.

Oracle has been involved with logistics for around 15 years, through services like the Oracle Logistics Cloud. That product, whose customers include Fortune 500 names like Kraft-Heinz and Coca-Cola, helps companies oversee their supply chains from the warehouse to the store or customer's home.

Traditional brokers better be paying attention
I'm not impressed. AFAIC, they do a **** poor job of matching shippers and trucks. Granted, my experience has been with just Convoy, but by the time they get around to awarding a load, I'm down the road. I suspect that I put more in my wallet through traditional brokers too.

But it’s not a live person that you ave to pay, the customer puts in info. Goes on the board trucker picks it and gets an email. All automated
Good point! Better than those sons of my bitches load brokers taking the profit right off the top.
Yes I have dealt with far too many brokered loads.

Good point! Better than those sons of my *****es load brokers taking the profit right off the top.
Yes I have dealt with far too many brokered loads.
I know my brother has hooked up with some good paying shit off of Uber freight and hasn’t had any issues getting paid.

I know my brother has hooked up with some good paying **** off of Uber freight and hasn’t had any issues getting paid.
We had a guy at the plant that booked a load by Uber or what ever APP.
They told him it would be a couple hours before he would be loaded.
He told them, Keep your ****ing load! 👍 :rolllaugh: Even the dock boss that he said that to was laughing!:rolllaugh:

But it’s not a live person that you ave to pay, the customer puts in info. Goes on the board trucker picks it and gets an email. All automated
If you really think that "cutting out the middle man" means any savings will be passed on to drivers, I have some prime, investment grade swampland that will make you fabulously wealthy.

:biggrin-2:

If you really think that "cutting out the middle man" means any savings will be passed on to drivers, I have some prime, investment grade swampland that will make you fabulously wealthy.

:biggrin-2:
I never said the savings was passed on to drivers. I said he’s gotten a couple good paying loads without issue.

I'm not impressed. AFAIC, they do a **** poor job of matching shippers and trucks. Granted, my experience has been with just Convoy, but by the time they get around to awarding a load, I'm down the road. I suspect that I put more in my wallet through traditional brokers too.

I’m at the point that I am doing repeat loads for Convoy, and well over market average. I start out my week quite often with a load to St Louis. May be jinxing myself, but I basically put in the same offer each week and forget about it. They’ve also gotten quicker over time with accepting bids in other locations. They don’t necessarily go with the lowest bidder, especially on their regular account. GPI is an account that I can typically get a quick approval with a fair rate just about anywhere.

Uber has a pretty simple game. They post a load, and will typically post it at a decent rate. They do this to allow those with posted trucks to see it and grab it at the decent rate ( at least that is what I think they are doing). After that, they drop the rate, and will gradually raise it throughout the day. With Uber, it’s a gamble. I hold out with them on many loads until late in the game where they end up maxing out their rate offer. The gamble is that many are too quick to take crap rates.

For example with Uber. They had a load posted here for Sunday. It rose as high as $870. I’ve watched and hauled the load before and knew they were willing to hit $900 with it. This morning, it reset down to $830 and before it rose any higher, somebody snatched it up. Wasn’t worried though, because I knew one of my Convoy bids would come through.

I know my brother has hooked up with some good paying **** off of Uber freight and hasn’t had any issues getting paid.

Uber and Convoy are giving me early access to loads now. Convoy is actually sending them out via a notification 4 hours before they are on the app, and at a good rate. I know that I’m not the only one getting early access, but I’m at least seeing them before all the cheap freight movers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread