Operating Authority Without A Trailer? Crazy idea, or does it make sense?

I would have too with my Great Dane....

if it had not been for my heart attack.

They finished it the same day I had my stents put in.
Bummer.
At least your recovering and that's the best part of the story.:thumbsup:

I think VW pays 90% but I'm not sure if that's pulling their trailers. It's with your own authority using their VTS brokerage in Fairmont, MN.
Boss said 80%, pulling their trailers. I thought it was more than that.

the ones I've talked to using their trailer it's like 74-76% of gross. 80-85% your own trailer.

Just ran a quick number to get a rough idea of money potential.

Basing on $2.00/mile freight, which I realize is below the market average right now, and 65% vs. 77%. (figuring 77% because that was the number I seen most often in my searching last night)

At 80,000 miles, this comes to just under $20K in extra profit. Dropping the freight rate down to $1.50 that numbers drops to just over $14K in increased revenue.

Not sure how much the insurance costs are for cargo/liability and the trailer insurance, but I'm assuming that eats up a good portion of that. Not to mention any other additional costs involved with operating under my own authority. Clearly going to take some more accurate numbers and studying to see if this would be a good idea or not.

Reactions: AK7
I work for a company that pays 85% and use our trailers. Lots of other benefits too. drop and hook on most loads.

I see numbers like that in AZ, but only two companies looking for O/O w/ own authority (that I saw). Paper logs, % off the loads, FSC. etc.

Your idea is a/can be a / great idea....

You have the whole wide range of requirements out there...Some carriers want you to have everything...In which case you usually make more
Some carriers cover dang near everything, but you make less...

My experience is in LTL....Central Trans, Saia...If you brought your own truck, they covered almost everything...You made double company driver pay..2200 to 2700 a week taking that route..L/O is pretty safe...But straight O/O bookin yer own stuff off the loadboards seems pretty cool too!! I havent done it, but for about a year now, I'll pull up load boards for giggles..In my town, Tucson, 500k population, theres usually 7 to 10 trailers waiting to be hooked at all times, thats just 53's with an average weight of 34k....the cheap loads...I would assume I could take one to chicago, and just as easily find a trailer there goin back where i came from...rinse and repeat all day long...Just keep a laptop handy!!

So many directions you can go...Me, I like money....Id pull crude out of ND, heavy haul etc etc...

If I forgot to post, power only is what I was thinking of running for few months. I know few O/O that are doing it now. I was just focused on getting my truck running so I can go home. I should be heading home now.

So many directions you can go...Me, I like money....Id pull crude out of ND, heavy haul etc etc

I had considered the bakken in 2012. Probably would have done OK.

Instead I opted for my own authority instead because I figured that goose only had until 14 or 15 to lay her eggs.

I figured right too.

In 15 I was established enough that I weathered having a heart attack, wife wrecking herself and her bike and buying a brand new trailer all at the same time.

Don't think I could have held it all together having just return rned from the bakken with no job.

If I forgot to post, power only is what I was thinking of running for few months. I know few O/O that are doing it now. I was just focused on getting my truck running so I can go home. I should be heading home now.
I gave up on the PO runs, too much work, and I have to rely on a broker. I just got a trailer now and run the 'regular' flatbed work. I think it would still work if you actually 'worked' at it, in which I was too lazy to do...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread