Operating Authority Without A Trailer? Crazy idea, or does it make sense?

Mike

This idea came up in my head a few weeks ago, and continues to come back from time to time. I never really thought about it in the past, but notice that many of the large carriers have power only programs available where you operate under your own authority, and pull their trailers. I know this has been mentioned here in the past, but thought a discussion on the pros and cons might be in order.

anybody here ever done this? doing this? thought about it?

At first, I thought maybe only the largest carriers had this option available, but a quick google search is showing there are several companies that have programs available for this.

That's the only way Van Wyk allows owner/operators.

Well, ... I mean, ... if they were crazy they could buy a truck that's less than 5 years old & lease it on to their authority, but who in their right mind buys a truck with all that emissions crap on it? o_O

There's a guy with an old Volvo from the stone age when it still said "White" on the hood. He has this big goofy looking thing on the back. I don't even know what it's for. It's like a dromedary box but there's no front & back to it. :confused-96:

Anyway, he has his own authority & pulls their trailers.

Or at least he used to. I heard he retired.

What,like a big deck plate?

If so,they used those to skirt the length laws back in the day.

Clearly have to read the details for each carrier's program. Interstate Distributor requires 6 months of operation under your own authority, so definitely they are out in the initial start up phase.

Trailer insurance requirements are different for the various carriers as well.

Freymiller requires a qualcomm installation and a weekly fee to use it, LOL.

You would need to have a rider on your insurance called "unowned trailer."

You have to declare the value of the equipment you'll be pulling basically.

You can do it either as a "trip permit" or as a more of a blanket policy for specific carriers.

I've looked at doing it a couple times but the premium just wasn't worth the expense since I already own a trailer.

I'm just curious if I might have a potential here to earn more overall like this, as opposed to simply running leased to a carrier.

Guess I need to look back into the insurance costs. Typically seeing 77% as an average revenue quote from the various companies out there. I think the key would be getting signed up for several, and you could likely keep deadhead really low at that point.

This idea came up in my head a few weeks ago, and continues to come back from time to time. I never really thought about it in the past, but notice that many of the large carriers have power only programs available where you operate under your own authority, and pull their trailers. I know this has been mentioned here in the past, but thought a discussion on the pros and cons might be in order.

anybody here ever done this? doing this? thought about it?

At first, I thought maybe only the largest carriers had this option available, but a quick google search is showing there are several companies that have programs available for this.
Have you tried getting creative with some of the companies:confused-96:?? some companies will let you run your own trailer or there's. there's also companies that let you on with your own authority but let you use there insurance if you choose to. I feel that someone could be really creative if they wanted to providing the company was willing to go for it. this is a situation where someone has to call and inquire.

I think VW pays 90% but I'm not sure if that's pulling their trailers. It's with your own authority using their VTS brokerage in Fairmont, MN.

There's no difference between owning a trailer or not. I'm pretty sure all insurance policies have non owned trailer insurance. I know I did. It cost like next to nothing.

I'm not sure if you need the cargo insurance. That's a big expense.

The way power-only worked for a friend: He picked up a trailer from a manufacturer or wherever and then was given a time to have it to its destination. All time between picking it up and delivering it, it was "his" trailer and he could haul loads in it like any other carrier.

The owner of the trailer, of course, wanted to receive a trailer in the same condition the power-only carrier picked it up. Any damage to the trailer was the responsibility of the power-only carrier.

probably wouldn't be a bad deal for a used trailer...

But had someone pulled a load in my brand new box....:explode:

There's no difference between owning a trailer or not. I'm pretty sure all insurance policies have non owned trailer insurance. I know I did. It cost like next to nothing.

I'm not sure if you need the cargo insurance. That's a big expense.
cargo insurance is not a big expense:yahoo:. it's an eye opening experience:stare1::eek:. when i got mine i was fine with the bob tail and physical damage quotes:thumbsup:. but once they added the cargo insurance the rates flew through the roof talk about having a WTF moment and a case of the ****it's:eek::eek:. and asking the agent to repeat that quote 3 times and asking em if there ****ing kidding:rolleyes:. that's why i can't understand why some of the noobs want to run out and buy a truck:confused-96::coocoo: with no exp the insurance will more than likley kill em:stare1:!! i had to go get drunk after that one:stare1:

The way power-only worked for a friend: He picked up a trailer from a manufacturer or wherever and then was given a time to have it to its destination. All time between picking it up and delivering it, it was "his" trailer and he could haul loads in it like any other carrier.

The owner of the trailer, of course, wanted to receive a trailer in the same condition the power-only carrier picked it up. Any damage to the trailer was the responsibility of the power-only carrier.

Read some stuff on this scenario, don't think I would like doing this.

collision insurance for the trailer is like 3.5% of value. Maybe as low as 2.5% on a brand new trailer.

So if a reefer with unit is $68,000 is your typical trailer, then your insurance will be like $2040 annually.

When I bought my new Dorsey reefer in 1984,the dealer called me and told me the date it was to be built,at the plant in Edgerton.

I got to watch it being built and I hooked up to it and pulled it off the line.priceless

I would have too with my Great Dane....

if it had not been for my heart attack.

They finished it the same day I had my stents put in.

Yeah, I'm thinking all sorts of claims risk in a situation like that

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread