OOIDA petitions for reconsideration of final medical examiner integration rule

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Jami Jones, Land Line managing editor

A recent final rule that rolled out a new medical history form and requires medical examiners to transmit the results of DOT physicals within 24 hours of the exam has drawn fire from the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association.

OOIDA filed a petition for reconsideration with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on Friday, May 22. The petition requests that the agency reconsider the final rule and calls for the agency to withdraw the final rule and proceed with a notice and comment period.

On April 23, FMCSA published a final rule that adopted new standards for issuing medical certificates and amended the reporting requirements of the results of DOT physicals.

- See more at: OOIDA petitions for reconsideration of final medical examiner integration rule

Not many people gonna be qualified to drive pretty soon:

...A new medical form included in the final rule now has 32 health conditions listed under the medical history portion of the rule. Of those conditions, 13 are new to the form.

New conditions to the form include high cholesterol; chronic cough, shortness of breath or other breathing problems; unexplained weight loss; bone, muscle, joint or nerve problems; blood clots or bleeding problems; chronic infection or other chronic diseases; problems staying awake, loud snoring; sleep apnea; have you ever had a sleep test; have you ever spent a night in the hospital; have you ever been treated for a mental health problem; and have you ever had a broken bone.

Have I ever spent a night in the hospital? Yes. Childbirth. Twice. Does that disqualify me?

Have I ever spent a night in the hospital? Yes. Childbirth. Twice. Does that disqualify me?
Oh I certainly hope it does.

I'd love to see the radical feminist groups attacking the FMCSA over that.

:popcorn:

I don't think you'd have to be a radical feminist to see the problem with that.
Of course not.

But it would be more entertaining to see THEIR reaction than the reactions of ordinary people.

I've spent the night in a hospital waiting room before, so I would have to answer "yes" to that? LOL.

Seriously, it's not a matter of qualification and disqualification, it is a matter of asking questions that are really nobody's business. As with any other list of medical questions, I will answer "no" to everything that might concern them and move on.......because it is none of their business.......

"Have you ever had a broken bone"

What difference does that make? Seriously. Who comes up with these questions?

I was turned down because my rejection infraction rate was to low. Beat this...I was tested by a PA; not a doctor.
Is an RF even in the rule book?

I've never heard of this. @DrDaliah?
Hmmmm.. I wonder if he means "ejection fraction" and it would mean a poor cardiac output. That could disqualify him but he needs to see a cardiologist ASAP, since that can be scary. Yes I believe PA's, NP's and Chiropractors can also perform DOT physicals because there are not enough doctors who took the test

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread