OOIDA Call To Action - Mexican Truck Pilot Program

Mike

Received the following in my email today, thought I would pass it on to non-members of OOIDA.....

It's finally here! As feared, the Administration is thumbing its nose at Congress and rolling forward with the cross-border trucking pilot program. Now is the time for OOIDA members to speak up because next week the Senate is expected to bring the FY2008 Transportation Appropriations bill to the Senate floor. Recently, the House passed its version of the appropriations bill, which contained an amendment to cut off funding for the Mexican truck pilot program.

Please contact your senators to ask them to include a similar provision in their version of the FY2008 Transportation Appropriations bill.

Let your senators know that beyond a whole lot of fancy talk the DOT has not addressed the safety concerns as mandated by Congress!

To contact your senators, call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121, provide the operator with your home ZIP code and they will connect you with the offices of your senators.

----------------------------------------------
SAMPLE MESSAGE:

"I am from ________ and I am adamantly opposed to the U.S. DOT's cross-border trucking pilot program. As my elected representative, I ask that the Senator do whatever he/she can to stop that dangerous pilot program."

----------------------------------------------

Remember, taking just a few minutes out of your day TODAY to make a phone call can make all the difference TOMORROW when your senator has to decide how to vote on the appropriations bill or an amendment to that bill.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to call the Association at 1-800-444-5791.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD.
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE CAPITOL HILL TAKE NOTICE.
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE LIFE BETTER FOR TRUCKERS THROUGHOUT AMERICA

I got this as well.

I haven't been nearly as active as I should be with issues, but it appears that all of us drivers are going to have to start becoming more active and doing things, before it is too late.

As you have heard, the Dorgan-Specter amendment was passed, cutting off funding for the Mexican Truck Pilot Program. Thanks to the OOIDA for staying on top of this. Below is the email I received, for those of you who are not yet OOIDA members.

-------------------------------------------

You did it!!!
Despite significant efforts by some political heavyweights (the Bush Administration, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, etc.) the Dorgan-Specter amendment to cut off funding for the Mexican trucking pilot program passed last night with a 75 to 23 vote!
This is a major victory for OOIDA and for truckers across the nation. To say the least, the calls and letters that truckers made to contact their Senators were a huge part of this win.
Unfortunately, we still have more work to do. The FY2008 transportation spending bill that the Dorgan-Specter amendment applies to must still be reconciled with the House of Representatives and must make it past a potential Presidential veto.
The DOT is certain to continue to do all they can to force open the border. However, they have very few options left to do so.
Thank you to everyone for reaching out to your lawmakers!!!
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD.
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE CAPITOL HILL TAKE NOTICE.
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE LIFE BETTER FOR TRUCKERS THROUGHOUT AMERICA

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread