Ohio governor would lease turnpike for as little as $1 billion

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
Ohio Gov. John Kasich has his heart set on following Indiana to the pawn shop – only he’d take far less for his turnpike than Gov. Mitch Daniels took for his.

Kasich says he’s closing in on a deal to lease the 241-mile Ohio Turnpike to private investors, possibly for as little as $1 billion according to The Columbus Dispatch. That’s a far cry from the $3 billion he estimated last year and much lower than the $3.85 billion that the Daniels administration took in for the Indiana Toll Road.

OOIDA strongly opposes the long-term lease or sale of infrastructure to private investors. For starters, a lease is geared toward profits for the private investor, usually over a period of decades. The Indiana lease, signed in 2006, will last 75 years through 2081.

“They’re taking the easy way out, but unfortunately, the easy way out is the one that hurts motorists the most,” said OOIDA Director of Legislative Affairs Ryan Bowley. “This money would go to a private entity to guarantee its profit for decades.”

Under a lease deal, a private investor would pay a sum to the state – either all at once or over a period of time – for the right to operate and collect tolls.

The trouble is, and as Indiana is already experiencing, the short-term cash infusion dries up much quicker than the long-term lease, leaving toll payers on the hook for years to come.

“Looks like Ohio would go through its money even faster, yet we will have truckers, businesses, commuters and vacationers stuck with a deal like this for a very long time,” Bowley said.

Another downfall of a turnpike lease is built-in toll increases that guarantee profit to the investor. Again, with Indiana as the example, tolls were allowed to more than double for truckers during the first five years of the lease, and are guaranteed to keep up with the rate of inflation through the duration of the agreement.

Earlier this year, Kasich tapped the firm KPMG to study the viability of a possible lease. The study is costing $2.85 million and uses federal taxpayer funds.

If there’s a silver lining in this discussion, it’s that Gov. Kasich cannot sign a lease deal with an investor until the Ohio General Assembly approves enabling legislation. So far, that hasn’t happened.

Truckers are sure to be on the front lines to make their voices heard about the proposal.

full story

Somebody should smuggle a bunch of kangaroos into Ohio, get them all drunk & set them loose in the state governor's mansion.

They should privatize all highways so long as they abolish the fuel tax when travelled on.

Corporations manage their business better than the government. But then you'll have the tit wringers whining somebody made a profit.

They should privatize all highways so long as they abolish the fuel tax when travelled on.

Corporations manage their business better than the government. But then you'll have the tit wringers whining somebody made a profit.

What part of "they doubled the freakin' tolls" did you miss? Every dollar they've raised it since the Australian investors took over in Indiana has gone straight into their "portfolios".

What has changed for the USERS of the Indiana toll road is NOTHING, ... except it costs twice as much to drive across it. They employ FEWER people now than when it was state-run (because of the transition to EZ-Pass). All that extra money you spend does not get re-invested in the economy, .. the investors are foreign.

If you want to literally give your money away to a bunch of billionaires in a foreign country, while receiving absolutely nothing extra in return, go ahead. Just send them a check.

The only people who benefit from the privatization of the toll roads are the billionaire investors.

It's not like a "corporation" that employs millions of people. Actually they probably employ FEWER people in Indiana now, due to the implementation of EZ-Pass & fewer manned toll booths.

Rubber Duck said:
What part of "they doubled the freakin' tolls" did you miss? Every dollar they've raised it since the Australian investors took over in Indiana has gone straight into their "portfolios".

What has changed for the USERS of the Indiana toll road is NOTHING, ... except it costs twice as much to drive across it. They employ FEWER people now than when it was state-run (because of the transition to EZ-Pass). All that extra money you spend does not get re-invested in the economy, .. the investors are foreign.

If you want to literally give your money away to a bunch of billionaires in a foreign country, while receiving absolutely nothing extra in return, go ahead. Just send them a check.

The only people who benefit from the privatization of the toll roads are the billionaire investors.

It's not like a "corporation" that employs millions of people. Actually they probably employ FEWER people in Indiana now, due to the implementation of EZ-Pass & fewer manned toll booths.

Yes and no.

They also employ all the road maintenance employee's, and the people caring for the rest stops. Or create a space to other business' now that I think that one out.

I stand by my statement they are more efficient at running the road. They keep it up in better condition if my memory serves(I honestly haven't run across their since leaving Barr-Nunn) and still make a profit. Drivers still have the option of not using it same when it was state owned toll pot holes and all.

Stossell did a good report on privatizing roads. If I ever get my phone out from under this hammer I'll try and find a link.

As for raising, they are hardly alone in that. Have you been on the Jersey Pike this year? GW Bridge? NY Throughway(Well at least you can rebate that from your fuel tax), paid the now $20 ransom to get out of Jersey (Boy they way under sold themselves there. Some days I would pay double out of my pocket to get out). Indianna is hardly alone in raising their rates. But I would say they should also be exempted miles from state fuel tax.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread