OFFICIAL: Rest Period Flexibility Study (ELD)

Getfit Tommy

Highway Hero
Source: Overdrive Online

Link: Fixing the 14-hour rule: FMCSA moving closer to flexible sleeper-split pilot program

Original Link: Navigating the trucking ‘tech bubble’: FMCSA reps outline ELD requirements, operation, edits for drivers at MATS

Official: Kelly Regal, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s associate administrator for research and information technology

Kimberly Honn, Washington State University principal researcher at the Sleep and Performance Research Center, also a partner on the new study, spelled out that the berth-rules exemption that would be provided to drivers participating in the study would enable 3/7-, 4/6- and 5/5-hour splits of the 10-hour required off-duty period. “We know a lot of drivers do choose daytime sleep,” Honn said, proven to be much less adequate for cognitive function/fatigue levels than split sleep in a prior study conducted by her university. “But if they can get some of their sleep during the nighttime hours it may be beneficial for them – as good as or better than consolidated daytime sleep.”

...proven to be much less adequate for cognitive function/fatigue levels than split sleep in a prior study conducted by her university....

Oh. That same extremely biased "study" that FMCSA based that 34-hour reset debacle on, where they used highly flawed methodology?

In that one, they had a bunch of guys whose normal awake hours were during the daytime and were surprised that the fellas were all tired after keeping them up all night.

Now, we're supposed to trust them on this?

What.ev.er.

They need to allow different HOS laws for different scenarios. Local doesn't work like OTR and regional doesn't work like local.

Give me my 10-12 hours off because I need it for my commute. Don't be having a dispatcher thinking I'm gonna sleep 3 hours during a live unload and that makes it okay to not give me my 10 later when I should be home. I will stay on Line 3 the whole time if they pull that crap.

They need to allow different HOS laws for different scenarios. Local doesn't work like OTR and regional doesn't work like local.

Give me my 10-12 hours off because I need it for my commute. Don't be having a dispatcher thinking I'm gonna sleep 3 hours during a live unload and that makes it okay to not give me my 10 later when I should be home. I will stay on Line 3 the whole time if they pull that crap.
i used to have an argument with a safety manager and a TM years ago, they each said my break started when the first wheel gets up onto the property.

(i only lived 6 miles away from the building)..

i told each one..BS...my time off starts when i am AT HOME.

safety guy said, we don;t know what you're going to be doing, once you leave the terminal.

i said...so what.....???

never heard a peep outta each one......

then too, i was the # 1 driver, and ran for them like the wind, made my log look legal, and never any tickets, or OOS, and made them money.......i figure they didn't wanna lose a runner.

ah yes...the good ole days of running.......and crayola crayons.......

The issue has never been resting. You can do that now.

The issue is allowing people to split their day then falsify dock time to extend their day beyond 14. That is why all of this is moot. No one us stopping any of you from sleeping in the middle of the day if you require it. They are however mandating the length of your day at no more than 14 (something I think should be 12 for locals with a 12 hour break).

The reason the 14 will not go away is the abuse it suffered when drivers had the ability to split it.

The issue is allowing people to split their day then falsify dock time to extend their day beyond 14. That is why all of this is moot. No one us stopping any of you from sleeping in the middle of the day if you require it. They are however mandating the length of your day at no more than 14 (something I think should be 12 for locals with a 12 hour break).

The reason the 14 will not go away is the abuse it suffered when drivers had the ability to split it.
Yeah 12 hours in a day cab is PLENTY.

the 100 Air-mile does have a 12 hour limit in it already. Part of how you can qualify for it. You must return to your start point within 12 hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread