Noise in transmission or clutch

Mike216

FreightCoin
I have a 2014 388 with a 600 cummins with a 18 spd 2050 . There is a rappen or knocking noise in the transmission when pulling a loaded trailer. You can hear the noise after you have driven about 50 miles bobtail. Notice the noise when you accelarate bob tailing or loaded every gear. Press the clutch petal lightly, the petal really jumps under your foot and noise is louder. Press the pedal farther , pedal smooths and noise stops. The truck has 42000 miles on it. Noise would come and go since new . Now noise is constant under load.

Mike216

FreightCoin
It's back to the dealer in Balt. for second visit. Hope they solve the problem this time! Not suppose to have problems like this with a new truck. When signing contract to move raw vegetables , you have to have a truck in the field.

** Commie Express **
Premium
FreightCoin
Press the clutch petal lightly, the petal really jumps under your foot and noise is louder. Press the pedal farther , pedal smooths and noise stops.

I'm thinking flywheel or clutch plate. The more you push on the pedal you start to engage the clutch brake. Why don't you put it in the shop since it must be still under warranty?

Mike216

FreightCoin
I've ordered a second truck ,389 short hood, due to arrive in July. It will have a 600 with an 18spd MXP auto shift. Hope I Havn't made an mistake!

Southern Fried

FreightCoin
A "possibility" from a past experience that behaved similar to what you describe.

I had a clutch replaced (company truck) by a "friend of the boss" shop and first trip out it started rattling like a machine gun when the clutch pedal was depressed. After a bunch of headscratching it turned out the "mechanic" installed the wrong bolts in the "pressure plate/flywheel" assembly. They were just a fraction too long and once the initial wear on the clutch disc was settled, it allowed them to contact the back of the block.

Might.... just maybe... it could be a factory F-up in a similar fashion.

Mike216

FreightCoin
Finally the truck is fixed. After being down for three wks, Pete and Eaton replaced the clutch. The noise is gone and everything is smooth. Thank -you everyone for the advice.

Mike216

FreightCoin
Well the noise is back. Now they think it's in the clutch linkage.We're running it , until they come up with a fix .Hualing
stringbeans from the Carolina's to Pa.Just hope it doesn't come apart with a load of stringbeans

Rc1234

FreightCoin
I have a 1999 int'l 9300 doing the same thing , except in reverse,3rd and 7th which are normal. Milked it home to Maine from Michigan loaded and didn't seem to change. I suspect tranny, not clutch, but both have a little over 1 million miles since new. Is at dealer now , they will be pulling trans. Monday and will know more.

** Commie Express **
Premium
FreightCoin
Where you from in Maine? I use to have a camp on Long Lake for over 20 years near the North Bridgton end.

Moonpie

FreightCoin
Not saying it's the same thing, but once I developed a bad noise in the high range on my truck. Turned out to be just the air bad adjuster not leveling the truck out, it was binding in the u joints.

Mike216

FreightCoin
I think they have fixed the problem. Noise is in the pivoting bracket under the cab that both clutch linkages hook to. The bracket has a greasable pin holding it in place.They installed a front clutch linkage that had an isolator installed in it. This made the noise a muffled rattle.They installed fiber washers on both sides of the bracket to remove the play that was left and right. This removed all of the noise.

Mike216

FreightCoin
After about a week the noise is back. Mostly when loaded . It still seems to be that clutch bracket. Peterbilt is to be contacting me. I'm still waiting for a call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread