Newbie Offered a truck. Can I start my own company?

A friend has offered to help me buy a truck so I have been doing reasearch into the possibility of starting my own company. I know that I would need to get my own authority. Not sure if I can find insurance being a new driver. Also not sure what else would be required/ permits,etc. Suggested trailer? flat, DD, van?? I want to get all my ducks in a row before spending the money on schooling only to be left holding a CDL-A thats basically worthless since everyone seems to want 2+ OTR. I am 45, 20 yrs virtually spotless DMV, I have 1 felony (2002)(no drugs or violence) that makes it hard to find work in any field that would allow me the kind of income I need to support my family. Not looking forward to being away from my family but caring for them is my FIRST priority. Any help and proper direction would be appreciated. Thank You

You need to have experience, for a couple reasons.

First - It is the only way you are truly going to know what you are getting into. You might get out on the road and decide this "isn't for you". The last thing you want is to be stuck with a truck and no use for it.

Second - Once you buy a truck, you will either need to lease it to a company, or acquire your own Authority. To lease on with a company, they are going to want you to have some experience. To run under your own authority, you need some knowledge of the trucking industry. Just going out on your own, without knowing what to truly expect is very risky.

I would wait until you had more industry experience unless someone close to you could mentor you. In any business there are so many things that can derail your business plan. There is no substitute for experience.

My Hubby started out wanting to go this route. After finding the perfect truck that we wanted to purchase, we went to get insurance quotes... NADA.. ZILP.... ZILCH... no one would insure him BECAUSE he had only 1 1/2 year experience and a minimum of 2 years is required at most insurance companies. also, I recommend having a nice supply of CASH laying around because you never know when that tire is going to blow, etc... Starting out is a large hill to climb.

You need to have experience, for a couple reasons.

First - It is the only way you are truly going to know what you are getting into. You might get out on the road and decide this "isn't for you". The last thing you want is to be stuck with a truck and no use for it.

Second - Once you buy a truck, you will either need to lease it to a company, or acquire your own Authority. To lease on with a company, they are going to want you to have some experience. To run under your own authority, you need some knowledge of the trucking industry. Just going out on your own, without knowing what to truly expect is very risky.

great advice. i hope he heeds to it.

i would first suggest that you think very hard about getting a truck many many experienced drivers are losing there trucks right now what makes you think you can make it get in a company ride stay away from home and see how you loved ones and such handle you being away payments maintenance can eat you up things happen when you are on the road and to stay a float you never know when youll be able to make home its lonely out there think long and hard this i feel would be a very bad time to attempt something like that

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread