New trucking company want opinions

Only thing I see coming out of Boston is loads paying under $1.50 per mile.

Who do you deal with for loads?

Most of the time I run off Internet truck stop. My best loads running around the NE seemed to have been from CH Robinson and XPO. But LEAVING the area, it's been CHEAP.

I have taken loads 550 miles that have paid $2200+ around the NE. So the rates ARE out there. But hey, I live in MN. For a reason...;)

Most of the time I run off Internet truck stop. My best loads running around the NE seemed to have been from CH Robinson and XPO. But LEAVING the area, it's been CHEAP.

I have taken loads 550 miles that have paid $2200+ around the NE. So the rates ARE out there. But hey, I live in MN. For a reason...;)

Have you ever used DAT? They speeled me this big spew about how they have the best paying loads yada yada... Plenty of packages to choose from $30-300 a month.

DAT, DAT Trucker's Advantage (OOIDA brand), ITS, GetLoaded and Bulkloads now.

Settled on ITS for the cost return and just use it. I do have some brokers like CHRobinson, XPO, and a couple others in my favorites I use for loads.

Setting up now with US Freightbrokers. I sent in their carrier packet and working that now.

Not saying you will not find someone to run for that. Simply saying I would walk right by something like that. I was making 55-60 and rarely went past PA. Just to much traffic, to much weather, and the people in general are a giant pain in the butt and miserable to boot.

So far my model looks good based on national avg. for fuel and what the lanes I'm going to running, even with my w900 and 550 acert I was turning a nice profit. I'm very selective of the loads I take. I will be even more dealing direct with brokers.
Rates are very low for independent carriers. 1.20 for lease operators including FSC. Independents are averaging below 1.50 including deadhead. If it pays 1.80 going one way it will be 1.00 going the other unless you have a niche market. Those rates won't pay off your truck and keep your driver happy.
I have one truck running the load board. I am very selective in loads. At 45cpm driver pay I would be starving because at current prices a profitable load is rare. Miles are low. Knowing what I'm going through, I wouldn't take your job offer because you are going out of business. But, if I were going back to company long haul work I would expect 70,000 and if the first month didn't trend that way I'd have a new job before my dispatcher was aware there was a problem. I have been lied to and mistreated by carriers almost with every twitch of their will. You don't fool me. national averages might be a good research tool, but with two trucks as your sample size your luck with the quality of the trucks themselves could vary widely. Standard deviation is more your issue than average. You'll spend 10s of Gs on at least one of them within the first 6months when the mfg warranty leaves you short. If you put 100% maintenance in the purchase agreement you'll spread that out but the cost will eat up your monthly margin. As to drivers, you gotta pay to play. If you want to have minimal turnover you need to pay 70,000 reliably and be nice. But if a driver sucks you fire him immediately and move on. If only 2 in a hundred applicants are the people who deserve a chance only one in three of those will deserve to stay. That one knows it and will expect lots of money consistently on time--would you spend your life in a 8*8 box away from home and family for what you are offering. Also your drivers will abuse your electronics. Better make them bring their own.

Check out us freight brokers , a lot well over 2.20 mile. You have to sign on with them to view. But I was ble to get them to give me a screenshot.
They lie. They all lie. Everyone you deal with in this industry lies till they forget the truth. Even the averages posted in ITS are an optimistic lie. This lie might be in the form of the screan shot showed numbers from 2014, or maybe they selected loads going to south Florida where freight is typically less than 1.00 per mile. They want your carrier to sign up so they told you what they want you to believe.

If you want to get a driver's attention, pay them for the time they're sitting at shippers and receivers. You won't have enough trailers to do drop and hook, so drivers are going to be waiting to be loaded and unloaded. You can track them by the iPad you're giving them, so as soon as you confirm they're at the pickup/delivery, start paying them an hourly wage. Any time a the timing of a pickup/delivery requires the driver to take longer than a ten hour break, pay them for the extra hours. It doesn't have to be an extraordinary amount of money, but showing them their time is important to you will make them feel important and want to do more to help you be successful.

And don't be afraid to let them know you don't know everything and welcome their insights and opinions. If you make them feel like you're invested in their success, they'll invest themselves in yours.

No on the 1099, as far as a starting rate probably.45 a mile for a driver with 2-3 yr experience and if they have more experience more $$$. With my own authority the rates are much higher than if I was signed on with a company. And annual performance bonuses. I will have medical and dental as well. 1 truck doesn't make sense I've already done that, and most brokers want you to have 2-3 before they will deal directly with you and cutout the load boards. Because they know you can handle a decent amount of freight. Like I said I've been doing this for 17 yrs. so I know how to to maximize profits, I'll be shelling out a good chunk of change for equipment. But they will be leased threw Volvo it cuts down on initial cash outlay. If my cash flow allows I will start with 3 trucks. I already have 4 trailers and they are relatively cheap to buy a decent used unit. The driver is the most important part of the operation, if they arnt turning miles no one is making money.

45 cents per mile on 1099 .....to run EAST COAST...

Dude you're smoking CRACK...gotta be

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread