New to the industry and looking for advice...

Hi, I am 41 years old and wanting to start a new career in the trucking industry.

I was thinking of going with CR England, but I decided against that after reading the horror stories of $0 paychecks on here. I don't want to drive team particularily, so I was looking towards leasing.

So, I decided to go with Central Refrigerated, who is running my MVR right now.

My question is if this is a good choice or not. I know Prime also has a good training program and am looking at them also.

Any input from some folks who have been around the industry would be greatly appreciated.

I can fill you in on some of the latest about Prime, because I know a guy that just finished training with them, and got his own truck a couple days ago.

First of all, all new drivers will have electronic logging in the truck, whether you want it or not. They will eventually be converted electronic logs for all the drivers, including lease purchase drivers.

Also, he was told that the company truck will be slowed down even further, from the current 62mph to 58mph.

Don't know anything personally about Central.

options

confessions of a job shopper..go to school where you are not obligated to pay back if you are termed. i recommend the top schools but be sure to chk if certain schools are accepted by certain companies.for ex call celadon and see if they will accept abc school.or go to a votech then a school to finish up.You can get the unemployment to recommend a school and the school then recommends a company based upon your ability, interests , and location..I recommend caddo kiowa votech in anadarko ok, and central votech in drumright ok.both have cheap tuition and a lot of these colleges are paid for by a pell grant..also check for onsite tuition..some train in your home town..in other words, i absolutely would not endorse any of your choices due to knowledge of their curriculum and the way u are treated.also check to see what is covered..some schools you pay your physical and drug test upfront..most companies that are training take your paycheck for the first 6 months.there are many community colleges that will train you.if you sign for a 6000 load from werner, you will not get another job until you complete your year etc..if you go to a school and the company goes under...you just pack a suitcase and move on.i admire your tenacity in this climate and wish you the best of luck..any recruiting office at any company will tell you the five schools that they accept.do not ever take the easy way out..check for flatbed companies that haul in your area.or check for refrigerated trucks and the area they run..check where you are mandated to take your home time. check pet policy, insurance etc.you would hate to become and independent contractor and find out you are uninsureable after wasting all your time..same thing with medical condition..if you snore for example, we are mandated to pay the 1500 dollar sleep apnea study by july or lose our medical cards..with the new changes in place, a lot of prior conditions are not being accepted either..just do your home work and we will see you on the big road soon..i wish you all the best, but go to a state run school first

I can fill you in on some of the latest about Prime, because I know a guy that just finished training with them, and got his own truck a couple days ago.

First of all, all new drivers will have electronic logging in the truck, whether you want it or not. They will eventually be converted electronic logs for all the drivers, including lease purchase drivers.

Also, he was told that the company truck will be slowed down even further, from the current 62mph to 58mph.

Don't know anything personally about Central.
Those r 2 things I did not know paperlesslog and 58mph that is beyond slow. I knew Prime governed their trks but thought it was 65.Heck at 58 ppl on 10 speeds would pass me.lol

pay scale

check the lease payments, the permits, the truck, and who owns the fuel card, and run them thru the carrier assessment..check out the dun and bradstreet rating for example and see the safestat score..if they are high risk with multiple accidents then they will lose their rating and become a company with a provisional authority..check out jonesey on satellite 147 or talk to drivers..central and swift etc shuffle paper and authority , permits and licenses and create a huge paperwork snafu..the same people who owned arrow trucks own the majority share of these trucks and the lease programs they operate. check out what will happen if you default.if they can sue you
estate for tangible assets or take away your home if you crash..dont do it..some of these so called companies are self insured and you are liable for the difference.i would never recommend buying a truck with less than one year experience..it is too hard getting used to gps, mapping, tunnels, bridges, hazmat, twic etc to worry about 40000 in accessorial charges..who drives your truck if you get hurt..can you hire someone else..a lot of the leases say absolutely not..they get to keep the 90000 you paid and you are still stuck with the difference if you have a career ending injury. they will repo with one week missed in payments..even tho they are responsible for your miles..if you get termed for missing payments to company has no freight, then it still hits your credit report and blows your score. If you get a dispatcher that cant dispatch, can you change dispatchers..at some companies , the answer is no..forced dispatch.forced dispatcher, forced route..and check what happens if you bobtail or take their trailer..they charge per day, per mile for their equipment being relocated.what happens if you quit..can you sell your truck or are you forced to own that lemon till it is paid off..even tho you cant take it with you to another company..hmmmmmmm.

sleep apnea

companies like schneider will allow sleep apnea and are not having visible financial results..they participated in the sleep apnea study with the government and are on board with cpap machines..some of the companies forbid it still.it is a preexisting condition and you are not able to be insured/.they also have training programs, local, long haul, dedicated and lease as well as flatbed tanker reefer and dryvan..diversity is the key..i have hauled everything. and hold every endorsement..when i got several hernias, i finally got all repaired and only haul notouch freight and have to drive for companies that have air slide tandems..im too short and was always getting hurt..i like jake brakes, air slides, and air adjustable fifth wheels..you have to chk equipment specs.for ex i cant get used to a w900 long hood..i can change seats etc but it doesnt help..i like the hoods that air assist lift also..that 900 lb is a witch to lift if you tear a rotator cuff sliding tandems.i loved national freight for the same reasons.they were logical, personable, and enjoyed a lengthy 85 years of doing business.and had diverse accounts and equipment and you could swap around and alleviate the boredom..i wanted to try it all, and i did.its great being well rounded

Those r 2 things I did not know paperlesslog and 58mph that is beyond slow. I knew Prime governed their trks but thought it was 65.Heck at 58 ppl on 10 speeds would pass me.lol

These are both brand new things.

Prime was letting their lease purchase trucks run 65 miles per hour, and their company trucks run 62. They just let everyone know about the plan to drop the speed again for company trucks.

I don't have to drive fast, but I can't drive that slow in a truck. I get sleepy almost immediately, and simply cannot stay focused on what I am doing.

These are both brand new things.

Prime was letting their lease purchase trucks run 65 miles per hour, and their company trucks run 62. They just let everyone know about the plan to drop the speed again for company trucks.

I don't have to drive fast, but I can't drive that slow in a truck. I get sleepy almost immediately, and simply cannot stay focused on what I am doing.
You and me both Illinois is or was I should say bad enough at 55 but when I was going 65 one day not paying attention I was following another driver cop didnt do anything ,now how can companies governed your trks if your leasing it?I mean your paying for fuel ect are you not?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread