Trucking Regulations: New to ELD's? Don't forget these two important items

Mike

1. DOT Reference Card
    If pulled over, you will not only need to give the ELD to the officer, but you will also need to provide them with a DOT reference card that gives instructions on how to use your ELD. If you didn't get one when you received your ELD, ask for one and make sure you have it. If you have had one for a while, check to see if there is an updated card. I have the KeepTruckin' ELD, and tonight or tomorrow, they will be rolling out an app update which will provide access to an output file for sending logs to the DOT officer if requested. The DOT reference card has changed to reflect this terminology, so the one sent with your unit originally may not be accurate. I will actually have to print the new one tonight in order to have it with me and make sure I am legal tomorrow.
  2. Paper Log Book
    You must have a paper log book in your truck, ready to use in case the ELD malfunctions. For me, if mine malfunctions, I can simply use the app legally for up to 8 days while waiting on new equipment, but DOT is still probably going to want to see a spare paper log book in your truck during an inspection.
Either of these two items can result in a ticket if you are not able to provide them, along with your ELD/AOBRD starting Monday, December 18th, 2017.

1. DOT Reference Card
    If pulled over, you will not only need to give the ELD to the officer, but you will also need to provide them with a DOT reference card that gives instructions on how to use your ELD. If you didn't get one when you received your ELD, ask for one and make sure you have it. If you have had one for a while, check to see if there is an updated card. I have the KeepTruckin' ELD, and tonight or tomorrow, they will be rolling out an app update which will provide access to an output file for sending logs to the DOT officer if requested. The DOT reference card has changed to reflect this terminology, so the one sent with your unit originally may not be accurate. I will actually have to print the new one tonight in order to have it with me and make sure I am legal tomorrow.
  2. Paper Log Book
    You must have a paper log book in your truck, ready to use in case the ELD malfunctions. For me, if mine malfunctions, I can simply use the app legally for up to 8 days while waiting on new equipment, but DOT is still probably going to want to see a spare paper log book in your truck during an inspection.
Either of these two items can result in a ticket if you are not able to provide them, along with your ELD/AOBRD starting Monday, December 18th, 2017.
Way ahead of you. Got those exact tickets 2-3 weeks ago

I got a level 3 inspection at Fort Collins last week. The DOT Officer looked at my elogs but didn't ask for anything specific.

Probably depends on who the officer is as to whether they get all picky and technical and write you a ticket.

That second one is a fine example of the idiocy of bureaucracies.

The regs have long considered any of the logging apps as paper equivalents. Yet because the ELD rule doesn't specifically mention those, but only paper, guys are getting tickets for no backups.

Sad state of affairs when the concept of multiple rules being applicable is beyond the capabilities of those tasked with enforcing them.

That second one is a fine example of the idiocy of bureaucracies.

The regs have long considered any of the logging apps as paper equivalents. Yet because the ELD rule doesn't specifically mention those, but only paper, guys are getting tickets for no backups.

Sad state of affairs when the concept of multiple rules being applicable is beyond the capabilities of those tasked with enforcing them.

The problem is where the failure is. If you don't have paper or a second device you can run the log program on, then if your phone/tablet/Zonar breaks you MUST have paper.

I have a paper log book I picked up, somewhere in my truck related cab compartment. Specifically if my tablet craps out. I had to have them on the Knight trucks because when the AOBR failed, the actual display component would fail and you couldn't do ANYTHING about it.

The problem is where the failure is. If you don't have paper or a second device you can run the log program on, then if your phone/tablet/Zonar breaks you MUST have paper.

I have a paper log book I picked up, somewhere in my truck related cab compartment. Specifically if my tablet craps out. I had to have them on the Knight trucks because when the AOBR failed, the actual display component would fail and you couldn't do ANYTHING about it.
You're misunderstanding. By reg, any of the apps most drivers have been using are equivalent to paper. We are not required to have paper on hand to back those up. Those apps should therefore qualify as a backup to the ELD on their own, without the need for paper.

What I don't understand....is I was using Big Road app, for logging. But I got charged under the AOBR regs, 395.15 (g) if I remember right.

So is an app for logs, considered an AOBR?

This is such a fuster cluck. Hence my frustration, is the people policing the laws, may not understand the laws.

You're misunderstanding. By reg, any of the apps most drivers have been using are equivalent to paper. We are not required to have paper on hand to back those up. Those apps should therefore qualify as a backup to the ELD on their own, without the need for paper.

If your display device fails, you have no way to show your logs. IE, if my tablet craps out, I go paper until I get a new tablet.

A paper log book is $3 at the truck stop. What's the big deal about just getting one and keeping it in your permit book, along with your information card and all the rest of your licensing and permit stuff?

This is true, and electronic app should serve just fine as the backup. on the side of the road, though, a couple bucks is a good investment to shut up Barney.

This is true, and electronic app should serve just fine as the backup. on the side of the road, though, a couple bucks is a good investment to shut up Barney.
I don't think a substitute electronic device will necessarily cut the mustard per 395.34(2)

395.34 ELD malfunctions and data diagnostic events.
(a) Recordkeeping during ELD malfunctions. In case of an ELD malfunction, a driver must do the following:

(1) Note the malfunction of the ELD and provide written notice of the malfunction to the motor carrier within 24 hours;

(2) Reconstruct the record of duty status for the current 24-hour period and the previous 7 consecutive days, and record the records of duty status on graph-grid paper logs that comply with §395.8, unless the driver already possesses the records or the records are retrievable from the ELD; and

(3) Continue to manually prepare a record of duty status in accordance with §395.8 until the ELD is serviced and brought back into compliance with this subpart.

Part 395

I was just clarifying what you meant for Ranger.

We have free paper logs in the office, so we grab as needed.

yeah, I just realized that my spare log books came from those same offices and are preprinted with all the Big Orange info on them. Guess I need to make a stop today and pick one up for myself.

That's the deal, though. Some states won't recognize those as back up, only paper.
How are you going to reconstruct the previous days? Now if you can pull up until the failure via email/fax and then go to the app it would work.

Unless syou guys can go back and create days in the app.

How are you going to reconstruct the previous days? Now if you can pull up until the failure via email/fax and then go to the app it would work.

Unless syou guys can go back and create days in the app.

You recreate by having admin email you your logs.

For the current day, you just do the same as paper and create it on the app.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread