Owner Operator New O/O with insurance issues

car94

I recently purchased a used truck and applied for my own Authority. I have everything except the insurance required to make my MC# active. The problem I am having is the cost of the insurance. my lowest quote is 35k a year and they are saying it is because I am a new company even though I have had a DOT# for years.
I just have not done for hire OTR work. Just local stuff and hauling my own Equipment for a small construction company.
My driving record is clean with no points and one excessive speed ticket but not in a Commercial Vehicle. The sentence was suspended and I was placed on one year diversion and had to take a driver safety course.
I think my best bet is to operate under someone else's Authority until I get past 2 years. I don't know and the truck is sitting for 3 months without earning any revenue. I need some help fast.

First year carriers really get it socked to them. Depending on where you are domiciled, where the truck will be parked during home time, whether your state is a no-fault state, etc, greatly influence rates.

Working through an insurance broker may help you to find something more reasonable.

Best bet would be to get insurance for what you do need outside of the primary liability. Then come back after 1 year and see what has changed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread