New To Trucking New and Need Advice

So I'm new here and looking to get started in the trucking world. My current financial situation is a little messed up so I'm gonna have to go through one of the paid CDL training academies. I really need one that pays me while I train because I have child support to pay every week and my ex is quite vindictive and will drag me into court if I miss more than a week. I honestly want to get out on the road and not worry about anything. I don't really have to come home at all. I don't mind staying out for months at a time if that's acceptable. Mainly my kids' birthdays and Christmas are all I'd need to be home for. So with that being said, which company should I look into? I have looked at Swift, Prime, Roehl (my choice at the moment), and a few others. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if I should just be a company driver or go the Owner/Operator route as well. Thanks again.

So I'm new here and looking to get started in the trucking world. My current financial situation is a little messed up so I'm gonna have to go through one of the paid CDL training academies. I really need one that pays me while I train because I have child support to pay every week and my ex is quite vindictive and will drag me into court if I miss more than a week. I honestly want to get out on the road and not worry about anything. I don't really have to come home at all. I don't mind staying out for months at a time if that's acceptable. Mainly my kids' birthdays and Christmas are all I'd need to be home for. So with that being said, which company should I look into? I have looked at Swift, Prime, Roehl (my choice at the moment), and a few others. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if I should just be a company driver or go the Owner/Operator route as well. Thanks again.
You need to start out as a company driver. Don't lease a truck!

That's what I was thinking but I've heard the schools try to pressure you to be O/O. Any advice on which company to go with?
I went through Prime's program after getting my CDL through a third-party driving school. Considering your financial situation, you'd need to run through the entire program if you chose that route. Be aware that foot the first 10 - 12 weeks you wouldn't be paid. Prime won't actually here you as a paid employee until after you get your CDL.

I went through Prime's program after getting my CDL through a third-party driving school. Considering your financial situation, you'd need to run through the entire program if you chose that route. Be aware that foot the first 10 - 12 weeks you wouldn't be paid. Prime won't actually here you as a paid employee until after you get your CDL.

That;s one reason I was thinking about Roehl, because they actually pay you $500 weekly during training starting on your 2nd or 3rd week, even before you get your CDL. At least that's what I've read on several forums from other drivers and from their website as well.

That;s one reason I was thinking about Roehl, because they actually pay you $500 weekly during training starting on your 2nd or 3rd week, even before you get your CDL. At least that's what I've read on several forums from other drivers and from their website as well.
It's going to be tough for you during the transition - you'll need some cash to carry you through for your personal needs, as well as to deal with the ex. The easiest way for you to deal with financial matters once you're on the road is to have a bank account that includes internet banking, and a smartphone with a national access plan. This will allow you to take advantage of direct deposit as well. You might want to investigate Millis Transfer, Melton and TMC as well.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, there's plenty of negative trolls inhabiting trucker social media sites.

Thanks I appreciate it. I already have a bank and cell phone. I don't think the transition will be too difficult. At least I'm hoping not. Someone in another forum suggested Western Dairy Transport and I'm looking at them as well. Their school is pretty close to me and they pay during training as well.

What does that mean?
It means just because the world your in is falling apart with divorce etc, trucking is not the answer.

Every week, a half dozen people come here crying the woes of how their life sucks and trucking is the salvation.

It's not.

It's a hard life that takes its toll on personal relationship and your mental well being.

You become an outsider to the very people you thought you were close to.

I'm here because I followed a dream from age 23 to buy a truck and get my own authority. I've been at it now for 7 years.

I went to construction, manufacturing and design.

Life is green where you make it.

So don't think trucking is a solution, especially if you're involved currently in a divorce.

Someone can take their troll comment and place it where it belongs..

It means just because the world your in is falling apart with divorce etc, trucking is not the answer.

Every week, a half dozen people come here crying the woes of how their life sucks and trucking is the salvation.

It's not.

It's a hard life that takes its toll on personal relationship and your mental well being.

You become an outsider to the very people you thought you were close to.

I'm here because I followed a dream from age 23 to buy a truck and get my own authority. I've been at it now for 7 years.

I went to construction, manufacturing and design.

Life is green where you make it.

So don't think trucking is a solution, especially if you're involved currently in a divorce.

Someone can take their troll comment and place it where it belongs..
Oh ok. I've been divorced for almost 8 years now so it's not that. And to be honest I don't really have any personal relationships outside a few friends that I see a few times a year as well. I want to get into trucking because I want a career, instead of dead end jobs. I want to do something that will allow me to travel and see the country as well as make good money at the same time.

Nothing she can do except file for the state to collect and they can’t pick you up until your at least 3 months behind. Keep record of any denied visits (log date time and situation) as that will be valuable evidence if you have to go back to court.

Nothing she can do except file for the state to collect and they can’t pick you up until your at least 3 months behind. Keep record of any denied visits (log date time and situation) as that will be valuable evidence if you have to go back to court.

I appreciate it but trust me I've been through it with her several times. More than 1 week, maybe 2, and I'm right back in court. It's ok though, I'm really more interested in the trucking. I'm looking at Western Dairy Transport and Roehl as my top 2 candidates.

I recommend TMC they pay 500/week for training. It’s one of the better deals in the industry. You have to sign a 1 year contract and if you chose to leave you owe 2500 for the schooling. It is flatbed. Once your on your own you schedule your home time with your FM and that can be as often as every week if you wish. Check em out at TMCTransportation.com if you have any questions feel free to ask. I have worked here almost 3 years. I’ll give it to ya straight.

I too followed a dream and came into trucking and it was the best decision I made. I like the solitude, and I like being on the go. I get itchy feet if I’m in one spot too long. However for someone who likes to be social, who wants to be in a bed in a house every night. This is not the job for you.

I recommend TMC they pay 500/week for training. It’s one of the better deals in the industry. You have to sign a 1 year contract and if you chose to leave you owe 2500 for the schooling. It is flatbed. Once your on your own you schedule your home time with your FM and that can be as often as every week if you wish. Check em out at TMCTransportation.com if you have any questions feel free to ask. I have worked here almost 3 years. I’ll give it to ya straight.

I too followed a dream and came into trucking and it was the best decision I made. I like the solitude, and I like being on the go. I get itchy feet if I’m in one spot too long. However for someone who likes to be social, who wants to be in a bed in a house every night. This is not the job for you.

I'll definitely give them a look. How long after you get to training do they start paying you? I saw with Roehl and WDT they start on week 2. Thanks again for your insight.

I'll definitely give them a look. How long after you get to training do they start paying you? I saw with Roehl and WDT they start on week 2. Thanks again for your insight.
For me it was week three but, I was informed by a reliable source that they now pay you 500 a week from day 1 so you complete week one and the following Friday you’d have a check.

It's going to be tough for you during the transition - you'll need some cash to carry you through for your personal needs, as well as to deal with the ex. The easiest way for you to deal with financial matters once you're on the road is to have a bank account that includes internet banking, and a smartphone with a national access plan. This will allow you to take advantage of direct deposit as well. You might want to investigate Millis Transfer, Melton and TMC as well.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, there's plenty of negative trolls inhabiting trucker social media sites.

There's a lot of negative crap any new person should be aware of. It's called going into it with your eyes wide open. Trucking isn't just getting our CDL then hitting the freedom of the road with no worries. Not even close.
It's doable though.

But how many newbies come into this thinking they can stay out months at a time, when they've been home almost ever day of their lives. Then after 2 weeks, get that urge to go home and stay? One especially gets that that urge to go home when you're stuck on a 34, 100 miles from home.

You put a lot of your personal situation into this, so that makes me think you've as concerned with your personal situation as you are your livelihood. Especially about your kids. Depending on how old they are....... Well actually it doesn't matter. Because time away from them, at any age, is still bad.
IMO, all of these big companies that offer all these supposed benefits and great home time, are all about the same.
Personally, finding one in your home state, as close to you home is IMO, the best. Especially one that has a lot of freight moving out of your area. Regional freight is good.

If there's not any companies close to you that take chances on newbies, then pick any of the big companies and drive for them for 1 year. Suck it up, and stash the money away. After 1 year, you can get on with a more local company.

I made the mistake of starting out OTR with a 5 year plan. 5 years turned into 10 years. The next thing I knew, my kids were grown and had learned something else than dad.

As far as the huge companies go, that train and help newbies get their CDL, I think they're all about the same. The information you need, you don't have access to. As in how much freight they're going to have tomorrow. They all start out about the same. And they all have about the same benefits. And they all haul freight nationwide.
One piece of advise is to have the ability to switch dispatchers when YOU want to. If you get a good one, hang onto him/her. If you get a bad one, switch yesterday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread