Need new Steer Tires. O/O's, what has been your best choice? I'm leaning towards Bridgestone!

Driver of the year

I pull Containers and some loads are 92,000 lbs. gross weight. I only pull in the State of Florida about 2,000 miles a week. I bought Goodyear G 395 and it only lasted about six months. I bought eight drives recap bandag tires and the one's that held were the bridgestones and one Chinese tire blew, the other was Goodyear so I like the Bridgestone performance. What's your experience?

I finally waited a whole week to get into a shop 50 miles from my house to get a 3 axle alignment from the most wanted place to get one. This was the first time I ever saw someone use a blowtorch to loosen up nuts, put in shims and the whole nine yards. He also told me I would no longer have to hold my wheel to the left when rolling down the highway due to the slope in the road. He was right. My tires are no longer wearing. The last thing he told me as I was leaving........GET A SET OF BRIDGESTONES. I asked what model. He said it didn't matter.

I've run Dunlop steers for the past five years. Had very good results from them on that Cascadia I had. Put 125K miles on them and still had half their useable tread left on them when I turned the truck in. I've been running them on this S***Spreader and considering the alignment and balance issues I've dealt with, once I got that mess straightened out, they seem to be doing pretty good.

The key to steer tire life is alignment and balance. All things being equal, I'm not convinced brand has a lot to do with tire life. As long as it's not cheap Chinese or Mexican crap.

I've run Dunlop steers for the past five years. Had very good results from them on that Cascadia I had. Put 125K miles on them and still had half their useable tread left on them when I turned the truck in. I've been running them on this S***Spreader and considering the alignment and balance issues I've dealt with, once I got that mess straightened out, they seem to be doing pretty good.

The key to steer tire life is alignment and balance. All things being equal, I'm not convinced brand has a lot to do with tire life. As long as it's not cheap Chinese or Mexican crap.
When I bought the new steers Goodyear, the first thing I did was balancing and the truck was already taken for an alignment and these tires just wore out quick! I usually pull loaded one way and come back empty so I was told by a tire dealer that he has been getting Goodyear tires at a huge discount which probably means they are cutting corners with quality. I did a research last night and Bridgestone for steers seems the best and for the drives, bridgestone recap with Bandag rethread or recap is the best choice. I have one of them and the wear compared to the Goodyear is incredible. So for the drive, Bridgestone with Bandag recap FCR Drive.

I will not run recaps on my truck. Period.

My drives are Continental. I prefer Kelly, but the national account with them was cancelled, so I went with a second choice. They're wearing nicely and it looks like I might get some good miles out of 'em, but we'll see. They definitely make more noise than Kelly.

Last edited:
I got news for you! Kelly is just the exact same tire like Goodyear G 395. The tire guy told me and he was right. The only difference was the name Kelly. I know about the downside of recaps but the Bridgestone bandag recaps have worn better than the new Goodyear tire and for a better price,i'll go with the bandag.

I got news for you! Kelly is just the exact same tire like Goodyear G 395. The tire guy told me and he was right. The only difference was the name Kelly. I know about the downside of recaps but the Bridgestone bandag recaps have worn better than the new Goodyear tire and for a better price,i'll go with the bandag.
Please quote where I said anything about Goodyear?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread