Need advice

Doc175

Doc175
I'm a lease purchase owner operator who is leased to USA truck. I wrecked my truck Thursday morning came around a blind curve and up a hill and on 70 w through Pennsylvania. Two trucks were in the break down lane I moved left, crested the hill and with no warning traffic was at a dead stop due to another semi wreck ahead. A slammed on brakes, went right. Clipped a truck in the rear. 3 vehicle chain reaction. Damage mainly to my driver's side got a 200 dollar following too close ticket. Is this it. My company said they are waiting for a police report to see if I'm going to be able to pull for them again. Is this going to hit my CSA so hard I'll be unemployable. The only injury to anyone was someone had a laceration to their head

Doc175
I'm a lease purchase owner operator who is leased to USA truck. I wrecked my truck Thursday morning came around a blind curve and up a hill and on 70 w through Pennsylvania. Two trucks were in the break down lane I moved left, crested the hill and with no warning traffic was at a dead stop due to another semi wreck ahead. A slammed on brakes, went right. Clipped a truck in the rear. 3 vehicle chain reaction. Damage mainly to my driver's side got a 200 dollar following too close ticket. Is this it. My company said they are waiting for a police report to see if I'm going to be able to pull for them again. Is this going to hit my CSA so hard I'll be unemployable. The only injury to anyone was someone had a laceration to their head
this may not go towards any PSP or CSA score, but it'll surely go on your DMV and work record. it is a DOT record-able accident as there was an injury.

getting that ticket is showing that you were found guilty at the scene.

lawyer up, fight that ticket if you can, good luck.

A ticket like that will usually start at 2 points just for the offense of following too closely

Some companies don't tolerate any, some tolerate 3 (points)[so, what is ALREADY on your driving record?]

Always, always, always fight every ticket no matter how far you have to drive, fly or whatever.

It's your MVR that will determine whether or not this place can continue to employ you or if you can hire on elsewhere.

Unfortunately, us CDL holders don't have the luxury of driving school, and the tickets seem to stay on your record forever. Someone told me it went from 3 to 5 years, but I can't be quoted on that.

Examples of point system violations:
  • Drive While Disqualified - 2 points
  • Excessive Speeding - 3 points
  • Failure to Keep Right - 2 points
  • Failure/Improper Signal - 2 points
  • Following Too Close - 2 points
  • Improper Lane - 2 points
  • No Commercial Driver License - 2 points

Commercial Vehicle Conviction/Collision Points
Under Vehicle Code 12810.5 (b)(2), a conviction is assessed one or two points. Under Vehicle Code 12810 , which occurs during the operation of a vehicle requiring a Class A or B license, or any certificate or endorsement listed in the section, is given a point count of 1 ½ times its usual value.

For example, a conviction of Vehicle Code 22348 (a), speeding, is a one point violation. However, a commercial vehicle violation for the same offense is 1 ½ points. A responsible collision in conjunction with the conviction while operating a commercial vehicle or hazardous material vehicle is assessed one additional point for a total of 2 ½ points.

Stipulations change a bit when you are out of State, but I don't know that they would change for 'the better'

Driver Safety Information Guidelines and Actions

Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Operators and the Law

Thanks. I will fight it. My company said they will review the police report and see if they will keep me on. If they do I will still fight the ticket but worst case scenario if they let me pull, I gotta keep my nose clean until I get a few years behind me and my record cleans up. Wait on insurance to see if they are fixing my truck or totalling it out. Either way ill be back on the road within a few weeks

Last edited:
If the truck ends up being a 'total loss' with an 'at fault' accident, you may as well start a new thread.

Buy-backs, payouts, percentages, salvage titles...etc., etc., ... it should all be addressed by those who have 'been there, did that... or didn't'

You did say it was a 'lease' vehicle I believe.....

Yes it was. It just sucks. I'm normally a good driver I just don't see how I could have been when there was no sign, no cop warning people. No one in front of me until I crested the hill, then traffic was at a stop. There was nothing to indicate a full grid lock just over the hill

These are the kinds of things we deal with every moment of every day. None of us are perfect, but sometimes shit happens that you may find puts you on another path in life.

What's done is done. There is no going back. Yes, you can learn from your mistakes (and other's) but this is why we get bitchy. All of us have avoided or been in involved in life-threatening situations at some time or another.

We either get through, or we don't.

None of us are bulletproof... although many would like to think they are.

Whatever the outcome, don't go out without a fight... and by that, I don't mean an irrational, screaming match, I mean, take the time and effort [money} research to see if you can position yourself better as the final outcome is determined.

Good fortune my friend.

So, Nobody on the radio advised you of the stopped traffic? Or can I assume you don't have a radio or it was turned off?

My tweaker brother in law stole my cb. Hadn't had a chance to replace. Was only 3 weeks out and was just about to get my second check

I'm not going out without a fight. My company likes me. There is hope they may not let me go. If they don't and I can get my truck fixed or a replacement I'll pull my ass off for them for years to come and be grateful they showed loyalty. I will fight this ticket and hopefully come out on top. The adjuster my company sent is going to send me the pictures of the scene. You can see my skid marks don't start until I already came over the hill.

Its not up to your company, just so you know.

Its up to their insurance carrier...

BTW, is your "tweaker brother-in-law" still breathing?

I carry 3 radios....one with the "funny channels"...one with all the power....

And a small Cobra backup radio that is hidden in my truck....just in case....of tweaker in laws...outlaws....

Whatever

If there was a vehicle towed away there will be a CSA accident report filed somewhere. What FMCSA code is on that report for your ticket?

I wonder how much a dash cam would have helped in this case...

EDIT: to OP, I hope you have so much good luck fighting this. I know even if you are the 'granny careful' driver, you can still get into a collision and still be blamed for it. This is a tremendous event...

Thanks. Looks like my CSA score will take a 5 point hit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread