New To Trucking Neec help on a bet about the types of trucks a new driver will learn on or will be driving

I drive a manual 5 speed Kia Soul. I’m practicing double clutching and shifting. I am learning. Today I had a friend that told me while he was in school that you get to pick the color of the truck you wanted to drive an automatic if you wanted. I’m watching you tube videos and learning the trucks and all I am seeing is manual 10 speed up to 18. I am looking at him telling him no way that must be the simulator, or what ever but he swears to me no it’s true. I’m learning this and I can have automatic truck. I have a bet that he is being painted a pretty picture, so I am asking you all. Help to settle this so I can win $50 or loose $50.

What you will be learning on is what they have.
Now as for when you get to your new company to work for, yes you very well may get to choose what truck you want FROM WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER YOU !!
This is not a - they'll order this truck for me kind of job, you get what they have & being a new person your pickings will be at the bottom !
Welcome to the real world.

I've driven 10,13,15,18 & every other mismatched number since some gears were stripped.
I'll take a 18 any day over the rest, which those gears do get used unlike some others say don't need those extra gears - BS

Take your CDL test in a manual not a auto.

Others might want to jump in here on this speculation. But maybe an 18 speed might easier to learn to shift because the splits are about 300 rpm. Of course, that necessitates shifting quickly.

RPM spread on the lower range of my 13 is about 300. For a new driver, there's already enough to do starting out from a stop. Trying to remember which switch to throw and when can be a bit daunting. Besides: An 18 doesn't have a lot of practicality for most highway/OTR operations. Unless you're running logs or something from heavy mud, lots of off-highway stuff, heavy haul or running doubles in snow like you do, there is really no reason to split the lower end. It's just one more thing to confuse a newbie.

The very few times I have taught shifting in truck with a 13, I had them not use the splitter until 12-13. The truck they'd be getting wouldn't have the splitter anyway, so they might as well get used to the tempo of a non-split transmission.

RPM spread on the lower range of my 13 is about 300. For a new driver, there's already enough to do starting out from a stop. Trying to remember which switch to throw and when can be a bit daunting. Besides: An 18 doesn't have a lot of practicality for most highway/OTR operations. Unless you're running logs or something from heavy mud, lots of off-highway stuff, heavy haul or running doubles in snow like you do, there is really no reason to split the lower end. It's just one more thing to confuse a newbie.

The very few times I have taught shifting in truck with a 13, I had them not use the splitter until 12-13. The truck they'd be getting wouldn't have the splitter anyway, so they might as well get used to the tempo of a non-split transmission.

Since you've trained drivers (I did that a few times many many moons ago on rigs with mains and brownies) with 13 speeds, I'm guessing that you have a better notion of shifting training than have I. So go with God and a 13-speed. At the risk of making an equivalence, in 1987, Carl Sagan put my thoughts (about your thoughts) this way, "
“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”

Do you think we should append "or trucking." to "or religion"?

You're likely right about the utility of 13- versus 18-speed boxes and training folks to shift them. Most of the sets that run up this way tare out at 60,000 lbs. Eighteen speeds with lockers are the way to go with heavy rigs and deadlines.

Thanks for the critique.

The first time driving a 13 speed, I went to turn left and tried to go from 5H to 4th. Middle of an intersection still rolling trying to figure out why I can’t shift down

Ya gotta hit that little red button to shift back into the basement :redface:

The trans in a Kia is a complete different trans than in a big rig.

Megas were pushing autos pretty hard the last few years, I hear some are going back to sticks.

You’ll probably get lumped with a 10 speed, auto or if you’re lucky a 13. Depends on what field you choose also. Van reefer container at a mega more chance of an auto, in my opinion. Most small fleets and specialized carriers will lean to sticks as they want better skilled drivers
Better skilled drivers versus steering wheel holders, huh?

I drive a manual 5 speed Kia Soul. I’m practicing double clutching and shifting. I am learning. Today I had a friend that told me while he was in school that you get to pick the color of the truck you wanted to drive an automatic if you wanted. I’m watching you tube videos and learning the trucks and all I am seeing is manual 10 speed up to 18. I am looking at him telling him no way that must be the simulator, or what ever but he swears to me no it’s true. I’m learning this and I can have automatic truck. I have a bet that he is being painted a pretty picture, so I am asking you all. Help to settle this so I can win $50 or loose $50.
If ya drive a "Stick" already should be an easy "transition"..

Only difference is in a Semi it's a Ten Speed with a High / Low Switch...

Slow down below 20mph or come to a Stop if ya don't pop that switch down youll KILL the Truck..

That said if ya already drive a Stick Hyndai ya halfway there in that ya already understand the basics

Budweiser is like a glass of tap "WATER"...

Give me some "Best Ice" ...5.9% don't need afew SHOTS for "Primer" ether
That was sort of a crack on the Innu we see in Labrador. They actually have teepees built right on the sides of the road "live" in them so much of the year so that they're "living off the land". It's something about keeping their significant status cheques from the government flowing in.

Sure enough though you see them all the time carrying cases of Budweiser and bags of Mary Brown's chicken.

As I said...

Many moons ago my people went on a loooong journey in search of Bud-weiser......and Mary Brown's

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread