MX 13 using Coolant

Sinister

pari animositate
2013 386, Paccar MX.

about every other day I have to dump most of a gallon of red Coolant in.

It's sitting here idling, but it really doesn't matter...running and not idling, every other day...it uses a gallon.

I've looked around online, and haven't found much.

Any ideas?

Thought you were driving a Mack.?????
I've slip seated more times at this job in the last 2 months than I can remember...ever.

I've had a 386 Pete a few weeks now.

That Mackomatic became unsafe when it would not build air and I refused to drive it...even to Green Bay to the Mack dealer...it's still under warranty...except tow coverage...

They found some other brown noser to drive it up there.

Reactions: AK7
Yeah that's wet stacking. Old CAT engines used to do that.

Idles smoothly, I havent even noticed it kicking up RPM when it regens.

Yeah that's wet stacking. Old CAT engines used to do that.

Idles smoothly, I havent even noticed it kicking up RPM when it regens.
Put a coolant system pressure bleed-down tester on it when it's cold. Start the truck and let it run until the thermostat opens and watch what the pressure builds to as it continues to idle. If it runs high, you either have a blown head gasket or (more likely with the "wet-stacking") a cracked head.

I'm willing to bet, though, you now know where your coolant is going.

And when I said "lope," what I meant was a little skip that feels like a cammed-out racing engine, not a shift in RPM. I could have been a bit more descriptive on that.

2013 386, Paccar MX.

about every other day I have to dump most of a gallon of red Coolant in.

It's sitting here idling, but it really doesn't matter...running and not idling, every other day...it uses a gallon.

I've looked around online, and haven't found much.

Any ideas?

Hi there, wondering if you found the problem with the MX13 engine .
I am having similar issue and hardly have any hair left !

Check under truck, there is a couple of water lines going to cat. converter. I found them leaking when truck would cool down they would leak. There is a o ring in each fitting that gets flat

Check under truck, there is a couple of water lines going to cat. converter. I found them leaking when truck would cool down they would leak. There is a o ring in each fitting that gets flat

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread