Motor Vehicle Record

PCMVO_87

Hey truckers forum, I recently made some progress towards becoming a commercial driver by getting my cdl permit and applying to a few well known companies that offer paid training. What happenned when I followed up on my applications was pretty discouraging. It turns out that the handful of infractions on my mvr kept these companies from hiring me. One company said to check back in a year, the other said check back in five years. I have a couple of questions if you drivers have some time. First is: Did you have a pretty clean mvr when you applied to your company? Second: Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve my situation? Third is: If I pay to go to a training school and get my CDL A, will that make a motor carrier overlook my mvr? Thanks ahead of time.

Hey truckers forum, I recently made some progress towards becoming a commercial driver by getting my cdl permit and applying to a few well known companies that offer paid training. What happenned when I followed up on my applications was pretty discouraging. It turns out that the handful of infractions on my mvr kept these companies from hiring me. One company said to check back in a year, the other said check back in five years. I have a couple of questions if you drivers have some time. First is: Did you have a pretty clean mvr when you applied to your company? Second: Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve my situation? Third is: If I pay to go to a training school and get my CDL A, will that make a motor carrier overlook my mvr? Thanks ahead of time.
now you realize the importance of a CLEAN driving record.

in this industry, even in your private motor vehicle infractions mean a lot.

i have done teaching at 2 CDL schools in my state, here is what i suggest.

you have to know the "cut off" period of when those infractions will fall off, the IMMEDIATE record.

for instance in MY state, they stay on for 3 years, after that, they fall off...BUT STAY ON your permanent driving record...FOR LIFE

so get a copy of your MVR, ASAP.

when those infractions "fall off" your state immediate record, let;s say it's 3 years for you too.....

and you apply for a job...nearly ALL applications ask, "any accidents/tickets in the LAST 5 YEARS..???

you say NO.

you ONLY SUPPLY what YOUR STATE provides YOU.

if any company wants your lifetime record, or information PAST your state cut off time, they will get it.

I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS, providing only 3 years

YES...A CLEAN MVR FORM NOW ON, MAKES IT EASIER for you to obtain work, at the next job, the next, and so on.

again...EVEN YOUR PERSONAL VEHICLE COUNTS.....!!!!

to improve your situation, you should have asked that BEFORE you got your permit.

some states, like mine, BEFORE you get a CDL permit, you can have your record expunged.

so all you can do is "wait out" the most recent infractions. AND this is VERY DEPENDANT of the type of infractions as well...

speeding, 10 mph isn't good, 20, 30, 40 over...forghedaboudit.........

a school will only say to you, "your past in whatever, criminal/driving, is determined on a case by case basis at the employer".

a school WILL ALMOST NEVER tell you, that it is hopeless for you, as THEY WANT that money.

an employer sponsored CDL training, they can (and will( deny you training with them for LIFE if they so choose.

so be a good little driver from NOW ON, and good luck to you.

AND NO.....CDL training at a paid school....NO ONE OVERLOOKS your past.........

any more questions, i will try and help.

Agree with @GAnthony - get a copy of your MVR and see what's on it. Too many speeding tickets, a suspension, DUI, etc will preclude you from being hired immediately. Waiting a year (or whatever period they told you) before reapplying, and not getting in any further trouble, is all you can really do.

Do check out other training carriers because what is not acceptable at one carrier may pass with another.

Absolutely do not spend any money at a private driving school! There is a limit of how long an inexperienced CDL holder can go without getting in a seat, before you'll be required to spend more money on a refresher course. It's generally around six months.

A reputable driving school will have you send prehire letters out to a number of carriers to get an invitation to orientation - usually from at least three carriers - before they'll enroll you and take your money. This doesn't mean you're hired for a driving job, but does show you have the basic qualifications to go further in the hiring process after you get a CDL. This is the same place you're at now, and you'll get the same response - not interested until more time has passed because of your driving record.

Check into the possibilities of getting the infraction removed from your record. Not saying you will be able to, but it is a possibility.

Check into the possibilities of getting the infraction removed from your record. Not saying you will be able to, but it is a possibility.
yeah, my state, one can get his/her MVR expunged but that has to be done BEFORE one gets a CDL permit. his state may not have such that limit on the permit, but maybe once he gets his CDL, all bets are off.

best to go in person to the DMV, or just speak with a lawyer specializing in DMV things.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I did check into that with the state department but they said the record stays like that permanently. The only thing that is removed over time is the points on your license for each infraction. They said it's possible to expunge isolated infractions but not the whole mvr record: and that it was extremely difficult and required an attorney.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I did check into that with the state department but they said the record stays like that permanently. The only thing that is removed over time is the points on your license for each infraction. They said it's possible to expunge isolated infractions but not the whole mvr record: and that it was extremely difficult and required an attorney.
ok then you have at least 2 choices...

wait 5 years and stay clean, respect your current license NOW.....

second choice, go for the CDL and hope some skank company is not the only one that will hire you.

good luck to you, i do wish you well.

Keep looking because you may find a carrier that will accept you as is. Otherwise, be careful about your driving! That's your first step to becoming a professional driver in any capacity. Good luck!

Meh. I've got a rap sheet longer than my forearm

You'll be fine. Get you a CDL and you'll have companies begging you to drive for them

Keep looking because you may find a carrier that will accept you as is. Otherwise, be careful about your driving! That's your first step to becoming a professional driver in any capacity. Good luck!
Since when?

I hate to be the spoil-sport here, but about the only option you have is back-burner this and let time pass. Get three years between you and your last traffic infraction and you will see doors open for you. Look in the mirror every morning and repeat five times while looking yourself in the eyes, "I am not a NASCAR driver. The road is not a track."

I hate to be the spoil-sport here, but about the only option you have is back-burner this and let time pass. Get three years between you and your last traffic infraction and you will see doors open for you. Look in the mirror every morning and repeat five times while looking yourself in the eyes, "I am not a NASCAR driver. The road is not a track."
I repeat that all day at work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread