Minnesota College Expands to Meet Demands of Truck Driver Openings

Mike

Century College in Afton is expanding their course offerings to meet the growing demand of the trucking industry. In a time where it is tough to find work, the trucking industry is having a tough time filling all their jobs.

Century College held a job fair as part of the grand opening of their new transportation training center. It is a program that many believe will help more Minnesotans get steady jobs.

"This facility will put us in place to offer the kind of training that will be needed to meet the demand of the trucking industry," said Century College Vice President Mike Bruner.

The grand opening was well-attended, and one participant says the new program will be a tremendous opportunity. "You have good opportunities for long-term employment through the trucking industry," said Dan Casey of Oakdale.

Full Story

Trucking industry is already flooded as it is! There is no demand for truck drivers at all, more like an overflow!

Trucking industry is already flooded as it is! There is no demand for truck drivers at all, more like an overflow!

I would not be too sure about that.

I look for there to be a big demand starting up. In addition, I also look for the rate being paid to drop by about 12-15 cents per mile. After the drop is made, there will be a need for new drivers.

Same goes for most industries, but you can still go to school to get training for all these different industries.

I plan on getting my CDL through a CDL school and I already know I won't get hired by anyone unless it's a local company and that is what I'm looking into now.

In addition, I also look for the rate being paid to drop by about 12-15 cents per mile. After the drop is made, there will be a need for new drivers.

I am very curious to see which direction this trend goes over the next couple years.

CSA2010, if it lives up to the billing, is likely to remove many drivers from the road that actually "need" to be removed. People that continue to fall through the cracks by going from company to company, regardless of their driving record, will no have something in place that prevents them from getting on the road.

My feeling is it is these people who really hurt our pay because they find themselves going to work anywhere that will put them in a truck. They just need a fast truck that will get them out to the west coast so they can get their road dope and continue running 5K per week or more for 22 cents a mile.

Not only will these drivers be taken off the road over time, the companies that continue to fall through the cracks and hire these drivers will also suffer.

All of this depends on proper implementation and enforcement of the system though.

You might think it will be by proper implementation.

I believe it will be by greed. The companies will be looking for ways to build up and compete in the market. The corporate big wigs will not be interested in taking cuts, so the cut back area will be the drivers salaries.

Not sure I am following.

Companies won't have a say in whether a driver can stay on the road or not. If he disqualifies himself, he is off the road.

My hope here is that those drivers remaining are not only a better quality of driver, but they are also strong enough in the head to fight for improved wages.

Time will tell how it all works out.

Not sure I am following.

Companies won't have a say in whether a driver can stay on the road or not. If he disqualifies himself, he is off the road.

My hope here is that those drivers remaining are not only a better quality of driver, but they are also strong enough in the head to fight for improved wages.

Time will tell how it all works out.

You are talking about the government regulations. I am talking about what the companies are going to do outside of the scope of the regulations.

Drivers are expendable. The regulations will only add to the problem.

Government regulations, yes. I'm not a big fan of them myself, but in an industry controlled by the Government and filled with companies who will continue to hire dangerous drivers, I feel that some sort of regulation needed to be put in place.

I think is is high time that drivers begin actually being held responsible for the inspection of a vehicle

What remains to be seen though is just how all this will be implemented. All we have right now is general information. Like anything else, I will take a "wait and see" approach until the actual information is made available.

Maybe the drivers would actually perform the pre and post trips if they were paid to do them.

When they are only paid when the truck is moving, most do not see the point in these checks. Even though it can affect them if something is wrong.

True, but under this new system, not doing them can quickly affect your job. It is no longer just a hit against your company if a violation is found on the truck, but it is also a hit against your driving record.

In other words, drivers who remain in the industry need to be working toward ensuring their pay reflects the work they are going to be doing.

These inspections are part of your trip, and you are being paid for the trip. Drivers need to realize that this pay they are getting per mile covers more than just the actual miles they are driving, and they need to strive for pay that reflects that.

question is, will they?

In 6 months, I wouldn't doubt it. I am looking at 1-2 years down the road after full implementation of CSA2010.

If pay doesn't start coming up, blame the drivers as a whole in this industry, because they are continuing to let it happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread