Maybe Fageol Knows...

They don't really make station wagons anymore.

We rented a Suburban for a road trip once. It was pretty well suited to the task. But not so much for running around town.
When you drive a semi, almost nothing has big enough mirrors. Especially a day cab bobtail semi with the same mirrors as a sleeper.

I'd rather run errands in the Mack than any modern SUV with its **** poor visibility.

Aviator is the Explorer version of the Navigator.

Navigator and Expedition have always been the same size.

Excursion was the big ass Super Duty and never had a Lincoln counterpart.
You're right. I had a friend who had an Aviator I mist have thought was an Navigator because this guy is so huge I have no idea why he'd buy something that small.

Now he drives a Subaru Outback he drive 150 miles to buy and I'm even more baffled.

I spend a lot of time baffled by obese people in one way or another.

It's like trucks. You see some little 5 foot nothing guy hop out of a huge stretched out large car and some 500 pound behemoth just kinda roll out of a day cab.

If I need extra ground clearance, then take a pickup, but rarely need it on a road trip.
Extra clearance is good here in Alaska. At times the plows can't keep up with snow removal. But we're a perverse lot up this way and we see plenty of low-slung vehicles. Other than pickups, Jeeps of all stripes, Toyotas of all stripes, and Subarus are the most common occupants of our roads.

You're right. I had a friend who had an Aviator I mist have thought was an Navigator because this guy is so huge I have no idea why he'd buy something that small.

Now he drives a Subaru Outback he drive 150 miles to buy and I'm even more baffled.

I spend a lot of time baffled by obese people in one way or another.
The Aviator is creepy how much it looks like the Navigator. It's like Rick Moranis zapped it with his ray gun.

And that was the factory Firestones blowing out, not the vehicle itself.
The under-inflated Firestones, followed by extremely inappropriate driver responses.

Car & Driver rigged up an Exploder with 3 1" dump valves on each wheel to stimulate blowouts. Every possible scenario was a non-event, even with no hands on the wheel.

That entire fiasco was a false narrative created by the trial lawyers to ensure Dick & Jane Dumbass didn't have to acknowledge that their dumbassery created the carnage they expected compensation for.

The under-inflated Firestones, followed by extremely inappropriate driver responses.

I became an expert tire changer back then. Everyone at the dealership, no matter what you actuall job was in the shop, was changing tires on those things. People were coming in with absolutely bald tires, cords showing, and getting new tires.

we had to record the numbers off the tires when doing the recall, then we were supposed to puncture the sidewall so they couldn't be used. What we really did? we were putting those tires on our own cars, on trailers, anywhere we found a use for them. I say we, but I never used them. Didn't have a need for them on anything I had, otherwise I would have.

I became an expert tire changer back then. Everyone at the dealership, no matter what you actuall job was in the shop, was changing tires on those things. People were coming in with absolutely bald tires, cords showing, and getting new tires.

we had to record the numbers off the tires when doing the recall, then we were supposed to puncture the sidewall so they couldn't be used. What we really did? we were putting those tires on our own cars, on trailers, anywhere we found a use for them. I say we, but I never used them. Didn't have a need for them on anything I had, otherwise I would have.

I personally don't like passenger car tires, on vehicles that aren't cars. My daily driver car, full of gas, the girlfriend, dog, and I, would be about exactly 3,000 lbs. They put P tires on heavier suvs and pickups, then people load them, hook onto trailers, run them 15 psi low, and occasionally they blow, and people can't figure out why. It's elementary, run LT tires, inflate properly, and check the pressure every 2 weeks.
Although my car is light, I found it handles better with psi above recommended psi, so the door sill asks for 32 psi, i run 36 or 37. Tires wear flat, get good mileage out of them, and the car just feels more responsive.

The average motorist has no clue about loading and tire pressure. These are the same idiots that want to pull a 6 car trailer with a 3500 series truck, of any brand. Or, Joe on Vacation that loads the crossover SUV to the ceiling with everything but the kitchen sink and has the ass end dragging the ground out camping in the left lane at 70.

Just another reason that I like night driving. No family idiots with overloaded cars, roads are cooler for my own truck and the wear and tear on the truck itself is a lot less. I know, I'm strange. I'm one of those that monitors my gauges. The trans and rears run 10-20 degrees cooler at night. I like to laugh inside at the clown running 80k down the road at 75mph in the blazing sun. A 10psi drop in tire pressure raises that tire temperature about 25 degrees. Prime for a blowout.

I have had my little Honda Fit many years, many kms, and a few sets of tires, I just learned what works for me. I started at the recommended psi, and slowly added 1 psi at a time, found what works, and what is too much. At 40 I don't like it either, and would possibly wear the tires center too much as well.

No offense to you, but, you must live in a sparsely populated area where you can drive something that small. I wouldn't even consider getting in something that small. It's a rolling coffin. I see vehicles of that size crushed like a beer can around here. After a fairly violent crash I see the yellow cover over the car, so I know what happened there. I'll stick with my full sized pick up. I drive less than 4000 miles per year in it and it's all luxury.

Car & Driver rigged up an Exploder with 3 1" dump valves on each wheel to stimulate blowouts. Every possible scenario was a non-event, even with no hands on the wheel.

That entire fiasco was a false narrative created by the trial lawyers to ensure Dick & Jane Dumbass didn't have to acknowledge that their dumbassery created the carnage they expected compensation for.
They actually recalled those tires because they were being manufactured using benzene.

The average motorist has no clue about loading and tire pressure. These are the same idiots that want to pull a 6 car trailer with a 3500 series truck, of any brand. Or, Joe on Vacation that loads the crossover SUV to the ceiling with everything but the kitchen sink and has the ass end dragging the ground out camping in the left lane at 70.

Just another reason that I like night driving. No family idiots with overloaded cars, roads are cooler for my own truck and the wear and tear on the truck itself is a lot less. I know, I'm strange. I'm one of those that monitors my gauges. The trans and rears run 10-20 degrees cooler at night. I like to laugh inside at the clown running 80k down the road at 75mph in the blazing sun. A 10psi drop in tire pressure raises that tire temperature about 25 degrees. Prime for a blowout.
My dually was rated from the factory to pull 30,000lbs behind it. At an average of 3500lbs each, 6 cars would be a 21,000lb payload allowing for 9k of trailer and accessories.

I've never looked at 6 car trailers to know what they weigh, but it might be possible.

And they don't have the balls to pull an overpass. Just because the factory rates it as such, doesn't mean that you have to try and load it as such. My little F-150 Platinum is rated at 11,000 towing capacity. Unless I beefed up the rears and used a 5th wheel set up, half of that is safe in my eyes on the Interstate. I've put a 1 ton pallet of sod in it and it rode fine. Mainly because I had the sense to spread it out from front to back of the 6.5' bed. That gave me some weight on the front instead of lighting up the clouds.

No offense to you, but, you must live in a sparsely populated area where you can drive something that small. I wouldn't even consider getting in something that small. It's a rolling coffin. I see vehicles of that size crushed like a beer can around here. After a fairly violent crash I see the yellow cover over the car, so I know what happened there. I'll stick with my full sized pick up. I drive less than 4000 miles per year in it and it's all luxury.

I live just outside of Kelowna, a city of around 150,000 people, but the entire region is very busy, and populated. I prefer to drive it over my pickups, its more fun to drive. Car shopping recently, and planning on another small car, possibly a VW Golf R.

And they don't have the balls to pull an overpass. Just because the factory rates it as such, doesn't mean that you have to try and load it as such. My little F-150 Platinum is rated at 11,000 towing capacity. Unless I beefed up the rears and used a 5th wheel set up, half of that is safe in my eyes on the Interstate. I've put a 1 ton pallet of sod in it and it rode fine. Mainly because I had the sense to spread it out from front to back of the 6.5' bed. That gave me some weight on the front instead of lighting up the clouds.
385hp and 930ft-lbs torque in the 2018. Almost as much HP as my Mack (445), a little over half the torque (1700), and pulling less than half as much when maxed out. The new ones are even stronger.

Only real issue is stability and braking, and they have exhaust brakes.

I never actually tried it but the numbers look alright to me.

Wheelbase wasn't too much different from our Schneider day cabs. The dually axle was the same width and the wide front axle was pretty close to the same.

TFLTruck on YouTube used to run them up I-80 where the Eisenhower tunnel is and they'd blow the doors off the semis pulling the same hill.

Ps. Heaviest thing I tow with my Ram 3500 is 8200 lbs, had about 5000 lbs roughly in the box. My F150 is rated to tow over 10k lbs, but I don't remember the exact amount, but it feels a little squirrelly towing 8200, i tried it a few times. So instead I use the 3500 to tow it, handles fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread