Manual or Automatic Transmissions, Which is best?

AdamAnt

I am seeing that some large company use only automatic transmissions in there trucks. For any of you that have driven both, which do you prefer?

OK what is a **** spreader. I always thought that was a trailer with the belt that spreaded the **** out the back
By the way I've been at your terminal twice in the last week, a nice place sort of [emoji12]
International truck.

but since they make farm implements too....

1806.JPG

If you were at Grandview, you probably saw my truck if you didn't see me. Mine's the metallic orange International (lovingly referred to as a Thirteen-Letter S***Spreader because of the company's roots in farm tractors...also known as a CornBinder, HayBaler and FarmAll, among others) with the Medicine Wheel sprocket on the doors, IFTA stickers on the wing windows and not one single Swift-issued decal on the truck anywhere. There's one other similar to mine, same color and all, but that one has Washington Huskies decals on it. My truck was in the shop queue for a few days for a starter, a couple of switches that I did myself and an exhaust leak that wasn't the gasket between the turbo and the manifold. I'll get into that in my engine brake squeal thread later. Long story short though, I went home on Tuesday and got back in yesterday. Give the shop time to get the parts and fix it without me hanging around being grumpy.

Of all the trucks I've driven, the Volvos drive the best and are designed with the driver's instincts in place. And their transmissions are second to none. They shift smoothly and backing up in reverse is much easier than any other truck. Beyond that, the ride stability gives you the confidence you feel behind the wheel of your own car.

If you've never driven a Volvo semi-truck, you don't know what you're missing. Then again, ignorance is bliss for some.

I'm not saying Volvos are the best either, they have their down falls but still a good truck.

Volvos drive the best - that's ones interpretation as to what "best" is ? just depends on what you call " drive the best " ?

designed with the driver's instincts in place - yes they're more driver friendly

And their transmissions are second to none - I like'em but they still have some issues, doesn't help when need new clutch/tranny within 70,000...though I suppose I didn't help picking up big bertha each load an run the hills - then deal with " high clutch load protection " dead truck :toothpick: another downside they will not give you ANY warning of clutch/tranny going out, you're stopped and decide to switch gears D/R - you're dead, truck not moving.

They shift smoothly - not always in the " prefect gear " for some hills for fast gear changes, though if you know the spot then let off the throttle or go red line other than that they do great for shifting. if you get the version where you're able to shift manually in auto drive and manually you'll like it better (was told theres a version you cant shift in the drive mode ? ) meaning I could shift gears in drive or manual. forget using the " E " economy mode unless you're running flat and no wind or its behind you, " P " performance mode is better & more idea for driving.

Volvos have had their own issues like any other truck when new, work through them and you'll come to like them, but at the same time I wouldn't have any problem taking a KW with a 18

Apparently you've never driven a T-660. :toothpick:

that was a quote taken out of " PapaDough " post & I was taking parts of it & responding to certain parts of the quote.
read the rest of my quote after that saying & it holds true for all trucks, plus what " best " is what part of driving it ?
theres pro's/con's to every truck !

forgot to mention that after the new clutch put in its been all good no issues.

I'm not saying Volvos are the best either, they have their down falls but still a good truck.

Volvos drive the best -

designed with the driver's instincts in place - yes they're more driver friendly

And their transmissions are second to none - another downside they will not give you ANY warning of clutch/tranny going out, you're stopped and decide to switch gears D/R - you're dead, truck not moving.

Volvos have had their own issues like any other truck when new, work through them and you'll come to like them, but at the same time I wouldn't have any problem taking a KW with a 18

1. Ride stability. Took an exit once in a Volvo, at the last second, at highway speed, when I was a new driver. Any other truck might've flipped. Low centre of gravity kept my nubie rear in the seat and the truck rubber side down.

2. Peterbilt 387 clutch went dead. No warning. Sitting at a customer after I backed in, I couldn't move without a tow.

3. Personal preference. American engineering sucks. European or Japanese is far better and more driver friendly and instinctive.

1. Ride stability. Took an exit once in a Volvo, at the last second, at highway speed, when I was a new driver. Any other truck might've flipped. Low centre of gravity kept my nubie rear in the seat and the truck rubber side down.

I think the Volvos tend to be heavier than others ? they ride a little rough in the rough.
at first I wanted no auto, period ! but I had no choice. took some getting used to, though I've come to really like Volvos even with some of their downfalls. best to know when to use auto or switch to manual.

I am seeing that some large company use only automatic transmissions in there trucks. For any of you that have driven both, which do you prefer?
I thought that it would be interesting to point out that 15 years later after the OP nowadays "Automatic" Trucks are the "Standard" out on the road and that "Manuals" have become a special order or "custom" feature

Last edited:
I thought that it would be interesting to point out that 15 years later after the OP nowadays "Automatic" Trucks are the "Standard" out on the road and that "Manuals" have become a special order or "custom" feature
It is indeed interesting.
If they still only made manual trucks most of these wheel-holders would not be out on the road but, here we are.
The dumbing down of trucking. No need to be able to shift gears, no need to be able to read a map (GPS). No need to be able to fill out a log book.
Soon to come no need to be able to actually drive for hours, just be there for when the Automated truck Blue screens.

It is indeed interesting.
If they still only made manual trucks most of these wheel-holders would not be out on the road but, here we are.
The dumbing down of trucking. No need to be able to shift gears, no need to be able to read a map (GPS). No need to be able to fill out a log book.
Soon to come no need to be able to actually drive for hours, just be there for when the Automated truck Blue screens.
the blue screen of death will be the next anti theft device like manual transmissions were back in the day :p

I recall posting about my friend Lolly (now hauling dirt on a road construction project in Cooper Landing, one the the prettiest places in Alaska accessible by road). When down in America, she was going to work for some tanker lash-up. The company was going to put her into a new rig with an automatic. At that, she told the bosses that she was no longer interested in working for them. So they put her in a W900 or something close to that with a big Cummins and a13-speed rig. Although she prefers Cats (particularly NZs), she was happy to be in a truck with a manual tranny.

Lolly digs trucking. Here she is inviting viewers to a video ride-along. Check: .

or try:

I recall at Sourdough Express (with the byline, "Moving Freight Since '98" (more specifically 1898)), we had a 3 axle Mack demo with an 11 or 12 liter motor supplying an automatic transmission with torque. I drove it and it sucked. None of the other guys liked it either. But that was 13 years ago and I assume that Mack and other automatics have gotten better.

Briefly, my one day in a Mack with an auto is an unfair basis for condemning all automatic trannys. And here I assumed that Mack automatic transmissions are about the same as those behind Cummins, Detroits, and Volvos. Drag racers have pretty much demonstrated the value of automatics. But I began truckin' in the 1960s when the industry was realizing the value of Roadrangers as opposed to mains and brownies, so, at best, I have a non-current perspective -- I'm pretty sure that means I'm old. Gimme an 18-speed with lockers and I can generally get a shipment from point A to point B. And I guess I could do the same with an auto. But it would feel strange.

I NEVER DROVE A MANUAL NEVER LEARNED I DRIVE A AUTO AND LOVE IT MANUAL SEEMS DANGEROUS TO MUCH DISTRACTION U GOT TO FOCUS ON WHATS GOING ON IN THE ROAD NOT SHIFTING THE GEARS
When learning how to shift gears, you do have to put some of your focus on how to do it . If you have to keep focusing on shifting after you've learned, (which basically means you never did learn), you shouldn't be driving.

I have driven 4 different types of automatics for a day or two each. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for all of them together. I don't care what the factory or anyone else says. A computer does not pick the right gear for a given situation much of the time.
Also I had 2 of them decide to just "time out" (or whatever the right term is) when I was crossways on 2 lane highways trying to back into skinny drives at job sites. I had to just sit there blocking both directions of traffic looking like a complete idiot until the computer decided it wanted to work again.

I NEVER DROVE A MANUAL NEVER LEARNED I DRIVE A AUTO AND LOVE IT MANUAL SEEMS DANGEROUS TO MUCH DISTRACTION U GOT TO FOCUS ON WHATS GOING ON IN THE ROAD NOT SHIFTING THE GEARS
ok, i'll add to a dead thread, like the last person did, but if you, @Duner were to be driving on the road with a manual, i cannot see how you'd be "unfocused" cruising in top gear.......

dumbass.

When learning how to shift gears, you do have to put some of your focus on how to do it . If you have to keep focusing on shifting after you've learned, (which basically means you never did learn), you shouldn't be driving.

I have driven 4 different types of automatics for a day or two each. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for all of them together. I don't care what the factory or anyone else says. A computer does not pick the right gear for a given situation much of the time.
Also I had 2 of them decide to just "time out" (or whatever the right term is) when I was crossways on 2 lane highways trying to back into skinny drives at job sites. I had to just sit there blocking both directions of traffic looking like a complete idiot until the computer decided it wanted to work again.
Currently in a 2029 Shaker Crapcadia..

What I hate is the computer sensor constantly puts it in "Coasting" mode..

Yet doesn't know if it's going downhill doesn't seem have "understanding"..

Also on these "Newer" AutoShifts consider the "Manual Mode" disabled for all practical purposes..

Now earlier Generations atleast on like an Early/Mid 2010s FreightShaker ya could work that paddle when ya needed that extra torque..

Going down the mountain hadda switch ya could flip and actually "Hold" that Lower Gear .

These "Newer" models it's all Computer/Sensored..

Ya gotta constantly be watching em because if sensor says otherwise it will shift on it's own ..

Or in a Downshifting Situation ya gotta double click each gear back and as soon as ya start feeling that torque the computer overrides and starts Upshifting..

Make matters Worse the Jake Brake is also incorporated into all that..

I think that's why nowadays ya see so Many of em on the shoulders brakes smoking after a good hill or in the mountains

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread