Looking for help/advice

incheck316

I've been working in a Sheetz store (convenience store/gas station based in PA) for over 5 years now (the last 3 of them being a supervisor). I'm only 21 years old and have never had another job. About 2 years ago I started unloading and putting away our deliveries. Just from talking with the drivers and learning different things I've gotten really interested in trucking.

About a year ago, I went to check out a local driving school. It was a 6 month program, and ran about $5000. I came home and discussed it with my family and they kind of gave me the cold shoulder about it. My father is worried something will happen to me because driving is a pretty dangerous job. I've put it off ever since. I've discussed it with some of my co-workers but they make me feel even worse because they think I'd be wasting the potential I have if I became a driver. Now, after procrastinating, the driving school I checked out has moved and instead of being 15 mins from my house it is now about 45 mins. There is another training school just about a mile from my house but their training is only 2 weeks. I don't really want to go through a "CDL Mill" and learn nothing. I'd rather go through a longer program and come out with alot of knowledge and experience in different driving conditions. Bottom line, I need some advice from all you truckers out there.

Every day when I go into work and unload, I want to be a driver even more. You know what they say, you're going to work for most of your life, so find something you love and make work enjoyable. I don't want to do OTR, just would like to do local/regional runs with a foodservice company. It seems like there are no foodservice companies that will train drivers. I found one company in my area but they only train at their other facility on the other side of the state. There is a US Foodservice distribution center about 8 miles from my house. Does anyone know anything about that company? Any ideas on what I should do about training? I thought about even going with Schneider but I don't really want to go OTR. I also applied with Pepsi because they supposedly train drivers but I've heard nothing back. All I'm looking for is an entry DSD position where I can possibly get training even if it means working in a warehouse while training.

I know this probably gave some of you a headache reading it but the bottom line is I need to get some advice.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

The only way you will find out if trucking is for you is to simply go do it. You may love it, you may hate it. Me personally? I love it. I am not OTR right now, but at some point I may be again.

If you are interested in giving the career a try, just go for it. Don't worry about the economy. Trucking will be fine. Things are going to be extremely tough for another 2-3 months, then should start getting better. By then, if you started looking to get your career started now, you will be just getting out on your own good when things are getting better.

Trucking has its good and bad, just like any other career. What matters is if you enjoy it or not.

Don't pay for school. Go to a company that will pay for it under the agreement that you stay with the company for a certain amount of time. Wherever you go, stay there for at least a year.
I like trk driving too,otherwise I would'nt be doing it.I've been driving truck 4 yrs and if you watch what you eat,you don't gain wait.I have'nt met too many rude people most are real nice and believe it or not in the 4 yrs if driving I only have 1 bad customer.It's all in how your attitude is.As far as chasing T&A well TJGOSURF chooses to do that.I highly think noone puts a gun to his head and forces him to chase T&A. I personally think truck driving is a great career.You get the freedom where as a 9 to 5 job you don't get that freedom.It's all in what you make of it.If you have a chip on your shouder and can't find anything good to say about truckdriving,then yes you're going to hate it.

I wen to trucking school at this accredited State-run Vo-Tech (Central Tech) that gave me a huge discount for being a resident of Oklahoma. $2,250 for 4.5 weeks. It's $4,500 for a non-resident. So, i'd recommend you look for something similar in your state. I get college credit for this as well. I got my CDL with hazmat/tanker/comb and never drove before the school.

As far as you going to college or not, if you get some trucking experience you can always have it to fall back on if some other pursuit doesn't pan out. Maybe some online courses while you drive...have to have something to do while in the sleeper if you're OTR anyway.

Many companies will reimburse your schooling...the best i've seen is where they give you like $100 per month until it's paid off. That way there is no contract where you owe it back if you quit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread