Log Books Vs. Loose Leaf Logs, Which Do You Use?

JoeT

While some drivers may not have a choice, I was wondering what everybody used for their logs.

I have been using loose leaf logs now for about 4 years now, and I don't think I would ever go back to a conventionsl "log book". I have found that using loose leaf log books makes maintaining my logs and turning in clean and neat logs to the company much easier.

What do you use, and which do you prefer?

Loose Leaf Logs are definitely the way to go, basically for the same reasons you mentioned. I think every company should go to loose leaf logs.

I know I will learn this soon enough, but what is the difference in the two? I know log books exist for truck drivers from the research I have done so far, but what is differente about loose leaf logs that makes them better?

Difference between regular log books and loose leaf logs

what is the difference in the two?

A regular log book is a permanently binded book with enough pages in it for one month's worth of logs. If you mess up a page very much you have to void the page, and if you mess up very often, you find yourself turning in some pretty bad looking logs.

Loose leaf logs will fit into a small 3-ring binder, and the logs themselves come in packs. Each log is its own seperate sheet. If you mess one up, you tear it up and throw it away. If, at the end of the day, your daily log has many corrections made to it, you can make another one, without all the corrections, use it, and throw away the other.

Another think I like about the loose leaf logs is that they are easier to write on. You can simply attach it to a clipboard, and at the end of the day, put it in your binder, and put a new one on the clipboard for the next day.

Hope that helps.

I prefer and use loose leaf logs, provided by the company I drive for. It is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

I prefer the loose leaf logs as well. As far as I am concerned the old books should be eliminated completely.

I use loose leaf for obvious reasons as well.

If you work for a company that provides you with conventional log books, then talk to your safety director to see if it would be ok for you to punch 3 holes in your log sheets so you can make your own loose leaf. Be sure to mention you will make it neat by using a 3 hole puncher.

I know it takes a little time to do this, but I think it is worth it in the long run. You can speed up the ripping out process by using a razor blade and just cutting straight across the top of your log sheets for easy removal.

I don't think it matters. Soon they will have everyone being tracked on a computer. A lot of local companies around here are going to that. Maybe we will all be wearing tracking collars like the animals on TV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread