Is there anyone here who is from the southwest Michigan or northwest Indiana area? I'm curious about anyone who has had any experience with either Professional Drivers Institute in New Buffalo, MI, or Truck Driver Institute in South Bend, IN. Are the programs good or bad?

TDI is a big chain; I went through their school in Sanford FL 5 years ago. They're pretty much a school to pass your CDL exam, rather than a school for driving a truck. Most students I've had that have gone through a community college have been much happier and better trained than those that went through the "CDL mills" like TDI and such. It's a longer program, usually costs less, and gives you a much better understanding of what it is to actually drive one of these things.

Personally I'd vote for longer is better. Yeah you can just get your CDL quickly *BUT* you'll be clueless when you actually get out on the road. Like I said the private schools focus on passing your test at the DMV, not teaching you how to drive. I know when I first got out on the road with my 1st trainer, I was pretty much braindead...he spent much time laughing at me.

Speaking of...Otis Martin, who ran DolGen out of Alachua 5 years ago, you here? How about Lou Starry, running the TX board?

D

I'm with u dan,the longer the better.Mine was 10 weeks long and awhole lot cheaper then the 3 week course.These fly by nite 3 week scools only teach u enough to get your CDL and leave all the real work to the trainers who many don't have the patience to even teach the students how to shift.Those schools in ways are like trucking companies.The school recruiters give u the student onne heck of a sales pitch to lure u into their expensive school and dont teach u what u need to know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread