Load Checks

Thank you Terry. Do you have it yet? You would get lots of benefit from it, plus the cost of the software, the laptop, the printer, paper, ink, etc, is deductible.

I have had it since July.

When I was on paper logs, I thought about a program like that. Almost bought one.

But then I remembered something.

Paper logs are better because if you make your handwriting so sloppy and draw your lines without a ruler, while driving and eating a hot dog that's dripping ketchup and mustard everywhere, the people in the log department will get tired of trying to figure it out and give up. I didn't get a toll violation for like 2 years and 99% of the time my I-pass tolls didn't match my logs. Especially in the Chicago area.

That is similar to DDL (what I use), but it costs more and does not have as many features as DDL.

DDL does both Canadian and US rules, allows switch on the fly, and two drivers can share a license. DDL allows free upgrades. DDL has a zillion different layouts, many tailored to specific company requirements.

You can transfer the license to a new computer three times before you have to buy a new license.

You will always know at a glance where you are at with your hours, as DDL keeps track of your time and updates on the fly as the day progresses. It does the math for you so you will never make mistakes or get a ticket for errors.

DDL has features to allow a driver to keep track of all expenses related to the business of trucking. You can generate and print a number of different reports to help run your business if you are an owner operator.

The load and manifest information is carried over from day to day so you don't have to write it down each day while traveling from the shipper to the consignee. (some loads I have had with multiple pick ups and drops gave me writer's cramp writing that stuff down each day when I still used paper logs.)

You enter your mileage each day and it carries over the mileage from the previous day. It then will compute your average miles an hour for the day based on the hours of driving. You even set a maximum miles an hour limit and it will warn you if your daily average exceeds that limit.

I have had many compliments on my logs when reviewed by the Revenue Rangers.

And I get on the list of drivers at my company each month with perfect logs.

I downloaded the DDL program to try it out. I am still working with it, but that is the most user unfriendly program I have used in years. Way too much garbage included. The help file is worthless. The only reason I keep trying is that it prints out a better looking log than the Eclipse program. I think once I find the things I need In all the extra garbage, it won't be too bad.

The Eclipse program is so much simpler to learn, night and day doesn't even come close to describing the difference between the two.

Update: Calling DDL user unfriendly is being way too generous. I am trying to show this weeks logs up to this point. I have spent an hour trying to get the load info right on yesterdays log. No matter what I do, it will not remove the first loads info. I even erased all the load info in the program and re-entered it. I am about ready to give up on it.

Update 2: I finally just went into the DDL program folder in my computer and deleted all the records and started over. It finally worked, but I could have done an entire month on Eclipse in the time it took me to do 5 days on DDL.

I downloaded the DDL program to try it out. I am still working with it, but that is the most user unfriendly program I have used in years. Way too much garbage included. The help file is worthless. The only reason I keep trying is that it prints out a better looking log than the Eclipse program. I think once I find the things I need In all the extra garbage, it won't be too bad.

The Eclipse program is so much simpler to learn, night and day doesn't even come close to describing the difference between the two.

Update: Calling DDL user unfriendly is being way too generous. I am trying to show this weeks logs up to this point. I have spent an hour trying to get the load info right on yesterdays log. No matter what I do, it will not remove the first loads info. I even erased all the load info in the program and re-entered it. I am about ready to give up on it.

Update 2: I finally just went into the DDL program folder in my computer and deleted all the records and started over. It finally worked, but I could have done an entire month on Eclipse in the time it took me to do 5 days on DDL.

I agree that the software is a bit on the unintuitive side. I have been using it for a bit over two and a half years now and am just scratching the surface with respect to the power that the program has. Did you get the "full" version ($95) or the "lite" version ($50)?

I needed to run a report to find how many days I was away from home last year. I found the tab on the reports section, and was able to set the beginning and end dates. Ran the report. Nothing. I poured over the "help" and still, nothing. I went to the website and poured over the FAQ. Still nothing. So I finally sent Fritz Bjorklund, the creator of the software, and e-mail. He was able to tell me what I needed to do, but even his description was off. He said to go to "menu edit/Settings/Records/Reports". There is no "menu edit/Settings/Records/Reports", but I did figure out that by clicking in the Duty Status Grid, the "Enter New Data Records" palette pops up. Then you have to click on the "Days Out Record" tab, and then select either "OUT = Leave home or still out" (the default) or "HOME = Arrive Home or still home" and then click the "Exit/Cancel" button. This places a marker in the Duty Status Grid, and then when you run the days out report it searches within the date range you specify and calculates the days out and days home within that range. Finally you can either print the report, or export, copy or otherwise save the data.

Here are screen shots:

ddlclassicverticallog.jpg

ReportsPallette001.jpg

ReportsPallette002.jpg

So once a person figures out the program it really is a great setup. But I too wish it was more user friendly.

I am trying to show this weeks logs up to this point. I have spent an hour trying to get the load info right on yesterdays log. No matter what I do, it will not remove the first loads info. I even erased all the load info in the program and re-entered it. I am about ready to give up on it.

You need to remove the previous manifest and trip info in the same dialog palette that is used for entering the manifest and trip info. Did you do that?

ManifestAndTripEditing001.jpg

Each time I pick up a load, I enter the Manifest and Trip information. Then when I deliver that load I remove it at "Midnight" after the delivery, and after I print the log for that day. Sometimes there will be more than one "load" on a trip, and that information gets entered and deleted along the way too.

Sometimes I work "local" and I wait until I have printed the log for that day before I remove the trip and manifest data.

Thanks for the info. I did figure out some of what you posted above. This program reminds me of my very first computer. I spent an hour and a half trying to get it to do something (don't remember what). When it finally did what I wanted, I didn't know what I did to make it do it.:banghead:

This program reminds me of my very first computer. I spent an hour and a half trying to get it to do something (don't remember what). When it finally did what I wanted, I didn't know what I did to make it do it.:banghead:

Oh yeah, I can relate. And I remember what that "something" was.

Turning it, on, and then after several frustrating hours of fooling around, turning it off. For the longest time I would just unplug it, until my nephew showed me how.

You have to click "Start" to turn it off.

Really?

When I turn normal stuff off all I have to do is turn the switch to "Off".

Oh yeah, I can relate. And I remember what that "something" was.

Turning it, on, and then after several frustrating hours of fooling around, turning it off. For the longest time I would just unplug it, until my nephew showed me how.

You have to click "Start" to turn it off.

Really?

When I turn normal stuff off all I have to do is turn the switch to "Off".

View attachment 14962
View attachment 14962

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread