Live on the farm..

ironmanwife

Barn goddess
Man never a dull moment..we had 3 chickens killed in 3 days....and it stopped after I put Oscar on his runline instead of just leting him go outside to take care of business..so sad..I think he was playing with them and killing them in the process..
Than today I had a horse get out..they smashed the fence down by trying to eat the grass on the other side..she wore no halter..so I had a hour of exercise..the little witch came close let me pet her and when I tried to halter her she ran off..she will be sold next..lol..

i had a dog when i was about ten that took to killing chickens. my grandpa caught him with one and tied it around his neck for about two weeks. he wouldnt let anyone take it off. it finally rotted and fell off. i thought he was being mean to the dog but after that,the dog wouldnt even go near another chicken. i didnt realize that he was saving the dogs life. one more chicken and grandpa would have shot him. ( i wish that dog would have killed the big dominecker hen that took chuncks off my hand for gettin her eggs. she was a mean one.)

It's funny you should tell that story about your grandpa.
When my last Rotti was a pup, I was the one who trained her. I don't have any formal education on it and wasn't always 100% sure what to do, but I knew one thing and told everybody.
""when she gets over 100 lbs, y'all will be glad she listens to somebody!"
At times they thought I was mean, but I was just strict.
And when she grew up everyone who met her had the same comment.
"That's the best behaved dog I've ever seen."
I never hit her (well only once, other than a swat on the rear) rarely had to raise my voice and the most effective method was using food.

(I think I told this once before, if so, sorry)
When she was about 4-6 months and teething, I came home one day to find the potted plant, various papers, my roommate's Italian leather shoes and a few Bic pens all chewed up on our white carpet in the living room.
Not good.
She knew she had done wrong just by looking at her, but I didn't get mad. I got even.
I gathered up the pieces and put in her bowl (it was almost dinner time) and left it.
Every time she waltzed in the kitchen expecting to be fed, I'd point at the dish and say, "There you go. You want to eat it, then eat it."
On the third day she would have stood on her head and stacked BB's with her eyebrows.
I soon learned the perfect solution for teething pups is an ice cube treat. (Good tip)

Needless to say, we never had another incident.

Oh, and the time I hit her closed fist wasn't even her fault. I felt like a low-life.
I'll be brief.

Lexus (my Rotti) had to take a daily steroid pill for a jaw problem.
Normally only my roommate or myself fed her.
Well...........along comes his psycho girlfriend and she moves in.
She occasionally feeds the dog too, now.

One day, I come home, go to give her her pill at feeding time and accidentally drop some pills in her dish.
No problem, I just bent down to get them out when.........GRRRRRRRR.............the bitch snaps at me out of the blue.
Well I just reacted and gave her a Mike Tyson uppercut and informed her who was really the BIG DOG in charge.
I couldn't believe what happened and was telling Gordy about it later when psycho-bitch is feeding Lexus and I watch as she starts to put the bowl down and snatches it away......repeatedly, until my Rotti is a snarling mass of teeth and growls.
I thought I'd blow a gasket.
After some choice words to Sybil (y'all know what I mean) I went outside and apologized to my dog.
Yeah, it might sound crazy, but she was pretty damn smart, so I think she understood.

I also gave her permission took take any piece she wanted anytime out of the other bitch, LOL!

Whew! My fingers are tie-red....

Oh.
The moral is...........y'all train your damn dogs, will ya?

Man never a dull moment..we had 3 chickens killed in 3 days....and it stopped after I put Oscar on his runline instead of just leting him go outside to take care of business..so sad..I think he was playing with them and killing them in the process..
Than today I had a horse get out..they smashed the fence down by trying to eat the grass on the other side..she wore no halter..so I had a hour of exercise..the little witch came close let me pet her and when I tried to halter her she ran off..she will be sold next..lol..

My grandfather had all of his cows and horses trained with a grain bucket, since they were baby's, every day or so he would walk out in the pasture with the grain bucket full of goodies, after a while they would associate the grain bucket a treat and would come rushing over to him, came in very handy when they got out, walk out with the grain bucket and wouldn't have to chase them, they would come to you and you could lead them right back in, the pigs on the other hand, those dirty rat bastards, chase them for friggin days

Well I don't chase them..they have 4 wheel drive and I know they will always outrun me..I will not man handle them either..they are smart..too smart..
I could have gotten a hold of her mane and yank her back in..but I want her to stand to be haltered..she is just 1 year old and was feeling her oats..she made a game out of it..you can't catch me nanana buhbuh..

Plus if you chase a horse, they remember and being as panicky as they are it can lead to problems later on,

i had a dog when i was about ten that took to killing chickens. my grandpa caught him with one and tied it around his neck for about two weeks. he wouldnt let anyone take it off. it finally rotted and fell off. i thought he was being mean to the dog but after that,the dog wouldnt even go near another chicken. i didnt realize that he was saving the dogs life. one more chicken and grandpa would have shot him. ( i wish that dog would have killed the big dominecker hen that took chuncks off my hand for gettin her eggs. she was a mean one.)

I have heard of the tying the dead chicken to the dog to teach them many times over the years. A very good way to save the dog from a 22 cent pill and keep the hen house population from shrinking.

it really surprised me that grandpa would do that for my dog cause it wasnt a workin dog, just my pet. grandpa was a tough old man and had very little use for anything or anybody that didnt earn its keep. but it surely did work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread