Licensed to drive: LL field editor certified to drive autonomous trucks

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Suzanne Stempinski, Land Line field editor

In September, I had the chance to do something only a handful of people in the U.S. have done – I got an autonomous truck license. Six months earlier, I hadn’t even considered such a thing. But in May of this year I covered the debut of Freightliner’s Inspiration Truck – the first autonomous truck to be licensed by the state of Nevada. From that moment on, I wanted to get behind the wheel.

The truck was built on the Freightliner Cascadia platform, but amped up with technology developed as part of the Super Truck project and more. Only a small number of Daimler engineers were qualified to operate these vehicles in Nevada. In fact, Daimler developed the certification process for the state of Nevada.

- See more at: Licensed to drive: LL field editor certified to drive autonomous trucks

From what's in the LandLine article, I'd say its going to be quite some time before one of these three ngs rolls down the road without a driver on board. Right now it sounds like nothing more than a primitive autopilot in an airplane.

From what's in the LandLine article, I'd say its going to be quite some time before one of these three ngs rolls down the road without a driver on board. Right now it sounds like nothing more than a primitive autopilot in an airplane.
They've had autopilots in aircraft since before World War 1. And today they have drones that can take off, fly a mission & return to base or another location and land entirely by themselves. But they won't be getting rid of pilots any time soon.

The goal with these drone trucks is to drive wages down by reducing the skill and workload requirements just like how automation has enabled factories to replace skilled workers with minimum wage entry level positions, usually filled by illegal immigrants.

Between the two big uns Mr Duck. We human aviators don't recognize advancements in Duckdom as legitimate. Besides, it'll allow you to express your creativeness in another arena.

I hear robots haven't moved into chicken coop cleaning...

:rolllaugh3:

Maybe that's what The Trumped One is spoutin' off about!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread