Left on side of road by "trainer"

SpringBaby

Went to work for a small company. Red flags popped out everywhere in New Mexico when DOT stopped us. Long story short the driver left me at a pilot in the middle of nowhere. I called the police and they say no crime was committed even tho he left with all my important stuff in the truck. Called company and got hung up on. What can I do legally?
TIA

A whole lot more like what???
A whole lot more, like .... he didn't just randomly, out of the blue, say "ok get out of the truck" then floor it. There must've been some kind of argument that led up to it. There's always two sides to the story when these trainee abandonment things happen. And yes, ... they happen quite often in this industry. It's because taking two complete strangers & making them live together in close quarters 24/7 while one of you is completely new to the industry & lifestyle is actually quite insane if you think about it.

Sometimes the trainee grabs his stuff & ditches the trainer (and his job) too. Personality conflicts with the trainer, for the most part.

Most often, these incidents occur at a company terminal, which is the only correct way to do it. A student can usually ask for a different trainer & get one, but not if he jumps out of the truck in the middle of nowhere. The trainer can drop a trainee off at a terminal too, usually, without getting in trouble, but would need a damn good excuse for doing it in the middle of nowhere.

Regardless though, whatever reason he had, the guy's a douchebag for not at least letting you grab your stuff. If there was a confrontation & he was physically afraid of you, he should've had the police present while you got your stuff out.

How do I get my stuff back? And what if they DON'T give it back??? What can I do LEGALLY if anything
About all you can do is file a lawsuit. Just the threat of a lawsuit ought to be enough for them to decide to ship the stuff to your house though. Parcel package shipping rates are a hell of a lot cheaper than lawyers.

Sry Spring...I don't see how U can capitalize on this...Yes, you will get ur 'stuff' back...

When u do, U will already be blacklisted from the industry...

FYI.. I have a restraining order on my pscho wife...

Just my 2 cents

TOO much to list here but they wanted me to drive solo from Los Angeles to Miami with front tires that were coming undone and when I refused the trainer and the owner got pissed with me and said this is the way its done at small companies and if I want a pretty truck I should go to a big company. Paper logs days behind and forged...muffler shield missing 3 bolts...trailer lights not working...no spare fuses or fire extinguisher and triangles broken just to name a few. That is what he wanted me to drive. That was last Monday...Anyway we ended up in another vehicle slightly better and headed east.Yesterday morning I went to wash my face and brush my teeth while he 'get fuel'. When I came out he was gone

Ok in that case I'd say your odds of being blacklisted from the industry are very slim. Small companies don't bother reporting to DAC/HireRight because it's not worth their time.

It wouldn't surprise me if your stuff is already in a dumpster somewhere. That's how scumbags operate.

Went to work for a small company. Red flags popped out everywhere in New Mexico when DOT stopped us. Long story short the driver left me at a pilot in the middle of nowhere. I called the police and they say no crime was committed even tho he left with all my important stuff in the truck. Called company and got hung up on. What can I do legally?
TIA
This is a he say she say type of thing so unless you have solid proof this happened no lawyer will take you.You can try small claims court.Next company you go with I would suggest looking up their safety rating.

If this happened to me what I would do is go pick up my stuff.Better do something soon before the ppl at the company start going thru your stuff and taking and tossing what they don't want.

this title is a little misleading....altho it was WRONG....u werent left on the side of the road as you stated...you were left at a t/s or fuel stop whatever the case may be....

Yesterday morning I went to wash my face and brush my teeth while he 'get fuel'. When I came out he was gone

this title is a little misleading....altho it was WRONG....u werent left on the side of the road as you stated...you were left at a t/s or fuel stop whatever the case may be....
There is 2 sides to every story,who knows exactly what happened.The op was well aware what kind of equipment she would be driving and hauling the first day she was there,all you have to do is look at it but she still went with a trainer.Maybe she learned her lesson.Some learn the hard way unfortunately.Im quoteing you in reguards to the ops 3rd post.

TOO much to list here but they wanted me to drive solo from Los Angeles to Miami with front tires that were coming undone and when I refused the trainer and the owner got pissed with me and said this is the way its done at small companies and if I want a pretty truck I should go to a big company. Paper logs days behind and forged...muffler shield missing 3 bolts...trailer lights not working...no spare fuses or fire extinguisher and triangles broken just to name a few. That is what he wanted me to drive. That was last Monday...Anyway we ended up in another vehicle slightly better and headed east.Yesterday morning I went to wash my face and brush my teeth while he 'get fuel'. When I came out he was gone
The front tires coming undone?? Were they recaps? Who forged the logs and what was the reason given why? a muffler shield missing 3 bolts? how many were left on? non-working trailer lights could have just been a loose pigtail connection, had you tried inserting some cardboard or a popsicle stick in there to tighten it? You could have asked to get a temp fire extinguisher and they reimburse you later, same as a small box of generic fuses, and triangles, Christ, the freaking truck stops have all that shyte. You let the owner know you need them, will buy them but you want to be reimbursed.

I went back to read the link about your CDL and refresher training, frankly, you choose this company over a few others that surely you had some sort of pick from??

Oh well, good luck. You'll end up getting another job, someday. But YOU WILL NEED to list that company as a reference to account for your time. Good luck with that too.

The front tires coming undone?? Were they recaps? Who forged the logs and what was the reason given why? a muffler shield missing 3 bolts? how many were left on? non-working trailer lights could have just been a loose pigtail connection, had you tried inserting some cardboard or a popsicle stick in there to tighten it? You could have asked to get a temp fire extinguisher and they reimburse you later, same as a small box of generic fuses, and triangles, Christ, the freaking truck stops have all that shyte. You let the owner know you need them, will buy them but you want to be reimbursed.

I went back to read the link about your CDL and refresher training, frankly, you choose this company over a few others that surely you had some sort of pick from??

Oh well, good luck. You'll end up getting another job, someday. But YOU WILL NEED to list that company as a reference to account for your time. Good luck with that too.

The O/P chose to go with an all-revered small company, as most advised. Seems this one is guilty of everything people like to accuse the big companies of and then some.

Outside of knowing what exactly happened, I'd suggest to @SpringBaby to just put in applications, and beat the pavement. Consider this a false start and move forward. Your stuff is probably gone, so write it off and start over. You can continue to attempt contact with the company and take them to small claims court if you feel your stuff is valuable enough. But don't stop moving forward with your life.

Do you want to make money or do you want to be a cry baby that's going to end up blacklisted from the industry?

I'm going to come across as harsh and rude, but this needs to be said:

WELCOME TO TRUCKING

You'll never log miles and never get home when you want too if you keep finding things to bitch about and place the truck OOS with.

You're a new driver and not a seasoned driver. Don't act like a seasoned driver.

The issues you were pointing out are minor issues that you can fix yourself. Just this morning during my pre trip I spotted a burnt light. Did I call the company? No. Did I place the truck OOS and bitch about it being too dangerous to operate? No. I walked my happy ass to the ts, bought a replacement bulb and fixed it myself. Problem was fixed within minutes and I was rolling again.

Drivers like you never last long. You find reasons to park the truck and then complain about $35 pay checks.

Do you want to make money or do you want to be a cry baby that's going to end up blacklisted from the industry?

I'm going to come across as harsh and rude, but this needs to be said:

WELCOME TO TRUCKING

Drivers like you never last long. You find reasons to park the truck and then complain about $35 pay checks.

the o/p did a whole lot of editing from the first posting, this is why I quote so many posts, as they can edit what they said in their posting, but cannot edit out someone who quoted them. My posting of number 14, the entire posting from the o/p can be read.

the o/p must have been filled with lollipop dreams and sugar coated insights to what trucking should be, from perhaps the CDL Mill she (or he) went to. (Going by the name of "spring baby", I do not know if it is a male or female...)

too many times, these students are given such a bunch of rhetoric at the mills, they believe everything is supposed to be perfect. DO they last long...?? Hell NO, and thank God and good riddance. the o/p still never responded to my question regarding the front tires "coming undone". To me, that can mean anything. I highly doubt the company she/he worked for used recaps on the steers.

Even when they ask for advice if trucking is for them, after they list, what something like 2,399,343,586,095,569, reasons they find it to be a job they need to be home weekly or have 43,660 weeks of vacation days, they still go to school. then they go to the boards and bitcvh about the job, the company, the equipment, the customers, yada, yada, yada.

It will never end.

the o/p did a whole lot of editing from the first posting, this is why I quote so many posts, as they can edit what they said in their posting, but cannot edit out someone who quoted them. My posting of number 14, the entire posting from the o/p can be read.
None of the O/P's posts in this thread have been edited.

the o/p must have been filled with lollipop dreams and sugar coated insights to what trucking should be, from perhaps the CDL Mill she (or he) went to. (Going by the name of "spring baby", I do not know if it is a male or female...)

too many times, these students are given such a bunch of rhetoric at the mills, they believe everything is supposed to be perfect. DO they last long...?? Hell NO, and thank God and good riddance. the o/p still never responded to my question regarding the front tires "coming undone". To me, that can mean anything. I highly doubt the company she/he worked for used recaps on the steers.

Even when they ask for advice if trucking is for them, after they list, what something like 2,399,343,586,095,569, reasons they find it to be a job they need to be home weekly or have 43,660 weeks of vacation days, they still go to school. then they go to the boards and bitcvh about the job, the company, the equipment, the customers, yada, yada, yada.

It will never end.
Recaps are legal on truck steer tires. Would I do it? Hell, no. But there is no regulation against it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread