Lease Purchase Program,or financing

2008 really with the installation of the dpf.
That would be 2007 but yeah, ..

That would be 2007 but yeah, ..
Epa07 engines went into 2008 trucks. Epa04 engines went into 2007. Engine year is always one year behind truck model year. My 2007 was built in 9/2006 with a 2006 engine.

Epa07 went with dpf and egr, epa04 have just the egr.

Not saying there are not 2007 or 2008 bridge trucks that could go either way, because they are out there.

Epa07 engines went into 2008 trucks. Epa04 engines went into 2007. Engine year is always one year behind truck model year. My 2007 was built in 9/2006 with a 2006 engine.

Epa07 went with dpf and egr, epa04 have just the egr.

Not saying there are not 2007 or 2008 bridge trucks that could go either way, because they are out there.
Engine manufacture date 1/1/2007, based on the stickers they had on diesel pumps before LSD (500 PPM sulfur content) was completely done away with. A lot of those stickers are still on the pumps.

So 2007 trucks built in the first few months of 07 might have the DPF engines but mostly it'll be the 2008 model years.

2003 Gentleman. The EGR addition started that year, along with the variable geometry turbos... those engines are patched-up junk.

Engine manufacture date 1/1/2007, based on the stickers they had on diesel pumps before LSD (500 PPM sulfur content) was completely done away with. A lot of those stickers are still on the pumps.

So 2007 trucks built in the first few months of 07 might have the DPF engines but mostly it'll be the 2008 model years.
That's what's referred to as a "bridge engine".

But basically it's 2008 and newer are dpf/egr engines.

And @ironpony is right, the egr crap started back in 2005 with the epa04 engines. With some bridge engines showing up as early as 2003.

I am referring to mostly mainstream productions though.

That's what's referred to as a "bridge engine".

But basically it's 2008 and newer are dpf/egr engines.

And @ironpony is right, the egr crap started back in 2005 with the epa04 engines. With some bridge engines showing up as early as 2003.

I am referring to mostly mainstream productions though.

Its earlier than that. The EPA caught the engine manufacturers cheating, so they started requiring the EPA changes in early 2003. Consequently most '03s and all '04s are emissions engines.

That being said, a EPA '07 DD15 is a really good engine. Yes, there are those with problems, but its a much smaller proportion of them than the ISX or MaxxFarce engines.

DPFs... the real problem with them is that what they are designed to do, catch particulates, will clog them rapidly if the engine is operated in a way that produces a lot of soot. Stop and go, especially in cold weather, and idling is a real problem.

Forget about the dpf clogging or any other actual mechanical problems with the emissions, because the electronic side of things will likely nickel and dime you to death before the dpf has a chance to get clogged.

If at all possible, my current truck will be my last truck with any emissions on it.

Don't think it's going to get better any time soon either because a whole new level of epa requirements are right around the corner.

I really hope to find myself in a new Glider before a roadblock shows up in that market.

I have two major problems with any lease purchase program.

1) you can only get a truck that is spec'd like most any other fleet type truck. That isn't always a bad thing, but there is no tailoring the truck in terms of engine, trans, diffs, types of hubs, customizing the interior to what you want, and a myriad of other things that make it a truck that actually is more suited to what you are trying to accomplish.

2) Negotiation. There really is no negotiating deals with a lease purchase. You are in for what they think the vehicle is worth, which is always more than what it truly is.

When I can spec a truck that will carry 2000 lb more than any of the carrier's fleet trucks, and have axles and suspension spec's that maximize tire and component life, the sleeper set up with exactly the types of compartments/closets that meet my needs, several frame rail storage boxes, complete with a 500 hp motor with 18 speed trans, complete frame and suspension sealing and painting to enhance corrosion protection, even body matched painted fuel tanks, and details right down to the best Conmet axle hubs, a Xantrex inverter/charger, full lockers in the drive axles, etc, and do it for a total cost that can be negotiated to make it a manageable purchase that is easily comparable and many times less than any of the fleet type spec lease purchase stuff. That is the only way to go.

And doing a glider is not going to generally be a lease purchase thing. Fleets really haven't figured out that these things exist. But that is what I did, and I have no regrets. There is absolutely no way I would buy one of the new emission laden trucks nowadays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread