Politics Kabul is still none of our business

SomethingElse

Apr 26, 2011
But you can bet we're going to send troops there, ignite the war and bring thousands of immigrants here.

This was probably predictable to people who still focus on foreign policy. Thanks to Trump, I haven't thought much about our foreign policy since he had those few people killed in the middle east (Iraq, IIRC). But now, it'll be back in the new cycle 24/7. Biden will seem relevant. They'll try to make him competent. (which he's not)

I say we get our people out, close any bases and offices the US had in Afghanistan. And just let them work out their problems themselves.

Upvote 0

Sinister

pari animositate
Premium
Mar 19, 2009
Lost.
For the most part I agree. This country has not adequately handled a war since WWII. Maybe Korea.

It's best not to screw around in The Graveyard of Empires to begin with. Ghengis Khan couldn't conquer it. Alexander the Great couldn't touch it. The USSR didn't do so well.

But the US was able to disrupt the Taliban and make them largely powerless, but holy crap how fast did that change?

Not one US President has had a realistic, workable plan to end US occupation in Afghanistan. But all previous presidents were at least smart enough not to act with NO plan. Biden isnt even that smart. Similar to the US southern border, he just rolled back everything that was done without a suitable plan otherwise, and the outcome is largely worse than anything else that could have happened.

The problem here is that both the Russians and the Chinese are waiting in the wings to swoop in and make pals of the Taliban as it seats itself in Afghanistan.

If 2500 US troops were the only thing holding the entire Taliban at bay, I'd say the price of free peoples worldwide was worth it. Miost of what the US military does these days is in fact humanitarian assistance. I watched tik tok videos of people literally falling off planes to their deaths as the planes took off. It was horrible.

The damage done by Biden's incompetence will continue to be felt long after the 20 year occupation.

Upvote 0

Sinister

pari animositate
Premium
Mar 19, 2009
Lost.
The Afghan military didn't fire a shot to save their country from being taken by the Taliban. So why should we?

This is not true. Shapiro went over it.

Not one US combat death since February of 2020. Over a year ago.

5800 Afghan National Army troops have died in that same time fighting the Taliban.

Why the hell it all collapsed so quickly I don't know.

Upvote 0

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Premium
Aug 3, 2011
Internet
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mike

Feb 1, 2007
We did this wrong from the beginning by not simply going over there to bomb the hell out of every Taliban we could find, then leave once we could no longer find them anymore. Innocent people would die under my plan, but they bombed us first, and we needed to exterminate them.

That said, once we chose to be political about it and start working with the country and rebuilding, we began screwing up. We stopped exterminating taliban, and focused on building up Afghanistan. Common sense would tell anyone that the taliban would simply go in hiding and recruiting til we simply left. History now tells us they did exactly this.

My opinion, we need to go back in again, not as any sort of peacekeeping type mission, or rebuilding mission, but a mission to kill every taliban **** we can find, and the innocent better get the hell out of the way because entire areas will be annihilated. It’s the only way to end these people, popular opinion be damned.

Make no mistake, we are not done losing lives due to these terrorists, and they only feel more empowered now that the world sees that they defeated us. We will be attacked again, and it will likely be worse than 9/11, and the development of it will once again come at the hands of a taliban ruled Afghanistan.

Allowing these animals to exist is a mistake.

Upvote 0

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Premium
Aug 3, 2011
Internet
We did this wrong from the beginning by not simply going over there to bomb the hell out of every Taliban we could find, then leave once we could no longer find them anymore. Innocent people would die under my plan, but they bombed us first, and we needed to exterminate them.

That said, once we chose to be political about it and start working with the country and rebuilding, we began screwing up. We stopped exterminating taliban, and focused on building up Afghanistan. Common sense would tell anyone that the taliban would simply go in hiding and recruiting til we simply left. History now tells us they did exactly this.

My opinion, we need to go back in again, not as any sort of peacekeeping type mission, or rebuilding mission, but a mission to kill every taliban **** we can find, and the innocent better get the hell out of the way because entire areas will be annihilated. It’s the only way to end these people, popular opinion be damned.

Make no mistake, we are not done losing lives due to these terrorists, and they only feel more empowered now that the world sees that they defeated us. We will be attacked again, and it will likely be worse than 9/11, and the development of it will once again come at the hands of a taliban ruled Afghanistan.

But but.... waterboarding, and Abu Graib, wahh wahh wahh :cry:

Upvote 0

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Nov 27, 2009
Canadon't

I think you got it right!
Drone strikes.

Upvote 0

Mike

Feb 1, 2007
But but.... waterboarding, and Abu Graib, wahh wahh wahh :cry:
Water boarding is a completely different issue. These monsters simply need to be found and killed wherever their heads pop up. Same goes for any supporters of these monsters whether they be over there or on United States soil.

Upvote 0

BlackBart

Dec 24, 2019

Yup. You go to war, you gotta play to win

The Japanese under Hirohito needed their will broken and it took not one but two atomic bombs to do it. No other enemy in recent memory has had anything close to their resolve, except maybe radical islam

Upvote 0

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Nov 27, 2009
Canadon't
Yup. You go to war, you gotta play to win

The Japanese under Hirohito needed their will broken and it took not one but two atomic bombs to do it. No other enemy in recent memory has had anything close to their resolve, except maybe radical islam
Yeah and them folks in Vietnam were pretty relentless. Kabul today looks like the fall of Saigon - 1975.
Not to mention the Somalians, they have some resolve.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackBart
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread