Jumping back in after a 22 year hiatus

the_original_beantown

The other Shane
Ran all sorts of crazy construction load, boat hauling and rvs. I'm done with the coporate office and it's time to hit the road. Going to take a 160 hour full blown college CDL program to get me back on track with all the new fandagled laws and ELD crap. Not to mention getting thing like parralel parking and off set backing. i have a great oppurtunity with a local nursey that is really hard to pass up. Looking forward to blowing out the cobb webs and truckin on down the road. If this pandemic panic doesn't hold up school, hope to be back out there by first of June. Thanks for having me, beantown.

LOL Naw, it just makes me more determined to get back in it. Bastages ain't gunna stop me. :shift:Seriously I'm one of those few who loves to drive. I really miss those days of operating equipment and driving trucks.

I get it. Brace yourself for some potential BS in the beginning, though. Not the normal BS, but the BS that will be related with the mass confusion of this industry trying to figure things out again.

Normally, flatbed is ramping up right now. Instead, it's doing the opposite in most cases. Dry van is maneuvering it's operations in terms of rates, but now it is all over the board. Reefer, no idea, but I am sure it is complicated as well, or will be as soon as we get passed this chaotic period of restocking shelves for the paranoid consumers.

in other words, much of logistics is operated in a JIT platform. (just in time). Instead of huge inventories, things go in and out at a rapid pace. Thanks to the pandemic, this system failed in a big way, and we are building up stuff old school. Once it calms down, there will an adjustment back to JIT and it will be a mess for a while.

I get it. Brace yourself for some potential BS in the beginning, though. Not the normal BS, but the BS that will be related with the mass confusion of this industry trying to figure things out again.

Normally, flatbed is ramping up right now. Instead, it's doing the opposite in most cases. Dry van is maneuvering it's operations in terms of rates, but now it is all over the board. Reefer, no idea, but I am sure it is complicated as well, or will be as soon as we get passed this chaotic period of restocking shelves for the paranoid consumers.

in other words, much of logistics is operated in a JIT platform. (just in time). Instead of huge inventories, things go in and out at a rapid pace. Thanks to the pandemic, this system failed in a big way, and we are building up stuff old school. Once it calms down, there will an adjustment back to JIT and it will be a mess for a while.

Thanks for the info Mike. When I was driving, I was in construction driving dirt or dragging lowboys or beaver tails behind a three axle dump truck, when I wasn't operating heavy equipment. I get the JIT stuff. I went to a grocery store today. Never in my life have I seen so many people trying to stock shelves. And have never seen so many empty shelves either. And 4 semi's waiting for an open dock to boot. There were 4 employees just filling delivery orders, and three Uber/Door Dash cars waiting to pick up orders.

Costco itself has restocked on papertowel / toilet paper and is now overstocked because they anticipated more hoarding

Costco itself has restocked on papertowel / toilet paper and is now overstocked because they anticipated more hoarding
maybe we should push out a youtube video telling 'murica that wrapping your house in TP protects it from all viruses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread