• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Judge denies testimony of 15 females in CRST sexual harassment trial

I shouldn't expect to be mailed everytime I get in a truck with a man.

Were does the stamp go?

I don't sue when I get put in a truck with a man. I just don't like.when the lonely old fool doesn't keep his hands to himself. I can be on a truck with anyone and be professional. A grown man should be able to do the same. Not like expecting to be stung at all. I shouldn't expect to be mailed everytime I get in a truck with a man. No offense, but that's a crazy comparison.

Now if I was ever in the truck with Bruce Springsteen and he smiled at me juuuust right, he might have cause to sue. And I would make it worth every penny. Short of that, ain't nobody out here worth disrespecting, or worth being disrespected by. Man or woman. Be professional at work. Period.

Okay if I laugh at you just right?

Often the problem lies in defining where exactly the "line" is between OK and NOT OK. Trucking is still a male-dominated industry at every level. I personally expect a bit of "pig" behavior. The shop where I go to school has several girlie calendars and pictures, for example. I don't have any issue with that. When I was driving, I got several inappropriate comments. I just walked away, or turned the CB off. No big deal. Any woman over the age of 14 has learned to expect that.

But I don't think anyone would say it's OK to grab a woman, grope a woman, threaten a woman's job, etc. I am fortunate I've never been in that kind of position. No one has ever threatened me in any serious way. I believe it happens. What I wonder is why it happens to some women and not others. What is it about certain ladies that make predators see them as victims and other ladies that makes predators pass them by?

I also wonder why the CRST student feels she was forced to stay in the truck. Was she tied up? Was the male trainer holding her down?

So, what's your solution, @boone315?

Eliminate women from the industry?

Force women to train other women?

Eliminate laws protecting everyone from situations @nightriderlisa described?

(BTW...good to see you back...)

Not at all, but if you are going into a male dominated industry, you have to expect some crudeness. Nobody should be assaulted or bullied but you can't be offended by a joke. That would be like me milking the cows in the morning and sueing the old man if I get splattered with cow crap. it comes with the territory.

Not at all, but if you are going into a male dominated industry, you have to expect some crudeness. Nobody should be assaulted or bullied but you can't be offended by a joke. That would be like me milking the cows in the morning and sueing the old man if I get splattered with cow crap. it comes with the territory.

I believe the difference between cows and truck drivers is ..... thumbs.

We do NOT have to act like neanderthals around women. C'mon.

I believe the difference between cows and truck drivers is ..... thumbs.

We do NOT have to act like neanderthals around women. C'mon.

Aint a lot of difference between some truckers and neanderthals, ever listen to the c.b. or look at the human waste in the truckstops?

Often the problem lies in defining where exactly the "line" is between OK and NOT OK. Trucking is still a male-dominated industry at every level. I personally expect a bit of "pig" behavior. The shop where I go to school has several girlie calendars and pictures, for example. I don't have any issue with that. When I was driving, I got several inappropriate comments. I just walked away, or turned the CB off. No big deal. Any woman over the age of 14 has learned to expect that.

But I don't think anyone would say it's OK to grab a woman, grope a woman, threaten a woman's job, etc. I am fortunate I've never been in that kind of position. No one has ever threatened me in any serious way. I believe it happens. What I wonder is why it happens to some women and not others. What is it about certain ladies that make predators see them as victims and other ladies that makes predators pass them by?

I also wonder why the CRST student feels she was forced to stay in the truck. Was she tied up? Was the male trainer holding her down?

I wholeheartedly agree with you. No matter what your gender, respect for others is paramount in any relationship whether it's personal or work.

Do unto others.....?

I'm humored by my gender... all the posturing and feather ruffling that goes on in a group.... then when left alone, we actually become human.

What disturbs me is ... guys who take the same mentality while in a group.. and practice it when they are solo.

Scary.

As to WHY??? Maybe she needed a job? Maybe she really wanted to work? She knows and that's all that matters. She should have been given the same treatment as a male trainee would recei........... oh boy........... let's not go there.

As to WHY??? Maybe she needed a job? Maybe she really wanted to work? She knows and that's all that matters. She should have been given the same treatment as a male trainee would recei........... oh boy........... let's not go there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pulling out the "she was asking for it" card. I only know if I had been assigned a trainer who made any kind of sexual overture to me, I would have been out of truck, even if it meant sitting in a truck stop drivers lounge and paying for my own bus ticket home. Not because I didn't need the job or want to work, but because I simply will not tolerate brutish caveman behavior.

Yes, she should have been treated with respect by her trainer. Yes, the company should have immediately arranged to get her out of the truck as soon as they were made aware of the situation. But neither of those things happened. Fact is, she was treated wrongly, yet she chose to remain in the situation, and that makes no sense to me. An adult woman does bear some responsibility for herself. For anyone to knowingly remain in a dangerous place confounds me.

I'm trying very hard to word this carefully, because I do not take the blame off the trainer or CRST. They are both in the wrong. Nor do I blame the woman for what happened to her. What I question is why she would sit around waiting for someone else to rescue her when she had the power to remove herself and thus end the harassment. Then she could go sue the pants off CRST. And find another job with a company that treats it's ladies with respect and dignity.

There is an organization that helps stranded truckers get home. I forget the name. If someone else knows what I'm talking about, please post it. We should get that information out there more. Maybe that would enable more women to get out of the truck when these pervert trainers start acting up, instead of feeling helpless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pulling out the "she was asking for it" card.

I'm with ya.

Maybe [MENTION=7569]The Duck[/MENTION] could track her down and interview her for a special thread here!

Lets' get an internet campaign going to show these companies how wrong they treat people!

Give the offending company the opportunity to explain themselves!

Who needs a court when ya got the internet!!!

Eliminate women from the industry?

Force women to train other women?

Eliminate laws protecting everyone from situations @nightriderlisa described?

(BTW...good to see you back...)

There's a problem with women getting female trainers, simply because it's a male-dominated industry. There simply isn't enough female truck drivers for there to be any significant number of women who would be willing to train others.

Trucking companies that hire rookies with zero experience need to be protected from lawsuits by women who have to wait too long for a female trainer. There's a thing called "reality" and these women shouldn't be able to sue when a company isn't capable of magically pulling a female trainer out of their ass on a moment's notice.

But female rookies need to be told before they even get on that bus to orientation or whatever, how long of a wait there is for a female trainer. And if she chooses a male trainer, they should choose a male trainer who is MARRIED, and give the female student his wife's phone number the same day she gets on his truck.

That'll take care of the whole sexual harassment thing.

But female rookies need to be told before they even get on that bus to orientation or whatever, how long of a wait there is for a female trainer. And if she chooses a male trainer, they should choose a male trainer who is MARRIED, and give the female student his wife's phone number the same day she gets on his truck.

That'll take care of the whole sexual harassment thing.

Would that be....

SWIFT

Justice ?

If I had been stuck with a female trainer, I would probably not be in the industry today. I do not learn well from women. That's my own prejudice.

[MENTION=2662]boone315[/MENTION], you are spot on with your answer to my questions. Some chicks need to toughen up. This is not an industry for p***ies. If you want to be one, go work for the government.you don't need a particularly high IQ to do that, either.

Duck has it almost right. Women need to be given a choice whether they are willing to train with a man or they will insist upon having a woman train them. They need to understand a waiting list may exist for a woman trainer and they are willing to wait.

Trainers, both male and female need to be allowed to choose whether they will train either gender. Some women refuse to train other women, but are perfectly comfortable training men. The option needs to be open either way. Just because a woman is a trainer, she should not be forced to train women.

Forgot to add: to be fair, male students should be given the same choices as their female counterparts, and the consequences of their choices spelled out.

Additionally, there needs to be a high price to pay for unfounded accusations of sexual harassment. I'm sick of people getting away with ruining other people's reputations and professional lives for spite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread