Job Interviewing in Post Trucking World

Uncle Birchy

Applied at Emerson offering $18hr start on the assembly line even benefits on day one thought cool sign me up filled out an application...

About week or so later set up a quick phone screening interview and scheduled me for a "Face 2 Face" at the plant the other day...

So I dug out the copy of my High School Diploma and transcripts..."not necessary but speeds things up if ya bring with ya"

Welp then the "Questions and Job History"..

Welp recent "History" is mostly Trucking Jobs and welp by JOBS plural I mean 3 carriers in the last 2 years ALONE..

And did you give "Notice" uh Ya Sure i gave em notice..

Did you work that last 2 weeks and abuncha other stuff....

I sort of let it "Slip" GOSH you have ALLOTTA Questions...

She said uh this is a "JOB INTERVIEW"...

And I don't think we are interested anymore at this point & time thank you for stopping by though .

Last edited:
Tell ya what That was a "Wake Up" call 4 me..

Got "Spoiled" in this Trucking world gosh call a dozen "Recruiters" ..fill out 5/6 applications and have em all ringing your phone off the hook trying to get ya to ORIENTATION CLASS

I "Blew It" for that place...

Maybe next time I just be "Honest" what a "Screw Up" I really am see maybe they give me a 2nd Chance...

Kinda hard to "Bullcrap" em considering these days they can just run your name through a computer system these days find out everything about you

Applied at Emerson offering $18hr start on the assembly line even benefits on day one thought cool sign me up filled out an application...

About week or so later set up a quick phone screening interview and scheduled me for a "Face 2 Face" at the plant the other day...

So I dug out the copy of my High School Diploma and transcripts..."not necessary but speeds things up if ya bring with ya"

Welp then the "Questions and Job History"..

Welp recent "History" is mostly Trucking Jobs and welp by JOBS plural I mean 3 carriers in the last 2 years ALONE..

And did you give "Notice" uh Ya Sure i gave em notice..

Did you work that last 2 weeks and abuncha other stuff....

I sort of let it "Slip" GOSH you have ALLOTTA Questions...

She said uh this is a "JOB INTERVIEW"...

And I don't think we are interested anymore at this point & time thank you for stopping by though .
Next time just tell them what happened and then explain you're tired of trucking and being on the road away from home all the time.

That's completely understandable even for someone that has never driven a truck.

Got another interview on Friday..

This time a Rental Outfit for all kinds of stuff but the biggies are Bobcats, Front End loaders, Dozers etc "supposedly"mostly LOCAL area clientele/jobsites

Said could show me what 2 do as far as stepdeck & securement ...

Originally applied for Yard Helper gig but after talking found out I got CDL need another driver..

If just local and can keep the day 8/10 hour window wouldn't be so bad..

But I know "Local" trucking gigs from past experience and won't be taken a fool either.

Maybe I can play stupid or "throw" the Road Test and still get Yard Helper for $14 an hour

Last edited:
Like Sunbelt Rentals? Good outfit if you can get on with them. United Rentals too! A walk in the park to use a Ledwell. Like any other tall and long boomed equipment, tuck it if you can and put it on the deck without going through the deck. Great local outfits with new equipment, good pay and they don't try to kill you.

Like Sunbelt Rentals? Good outfit if you can get on with them. United Rentals too! A walk in the park to use a Ledwell. Like any other tall and long boomed equipment, tuck it if you can and put it on the deck without going through the deck. Great local outfits with new equipment, good pay and they don't try to kill you.
I second this. I recently started a job where we do a lot of work for Sunbelt and United. I had obviously run floats before but not Landoll. Really not a whole lot to it. It's more or less a balancing act with two levers. The rental places aren't too bad to deal with either. Some of the yards are a little tight but we know Birchy isn't afraid to push a dumpster to get the job done.

The newer Landolls have the remote control box that hangs around your neck. That way you can watch the entire operation while performing it.

It's funny that the first dozer I ever got on I had to put both feet on the dash to pull the levers to get it to where I wanted it to go. (Yeah, so, I was only about 10 years old) Now, everything is joystick operated, air conditioned with sound systems.

The newer Landolls have the remote control box that hangs around your neck. That way you can watch the entire operation while performing it.

It's funny that the first dozer I ever got on I had to put both feet on the dash to pull the levers to get it to where I wanted it to go. (Yeah, so, I was only about 10 years old) Now, everything is joystick operated, air conditioned with sound systems.
Most of ours have them but I wouldn't even be bothered unless it's something to winch on I need to sit in or can't see around.

". Some of the yards are a little tight but we know Birchy isn't afraid to push a dumpster to get the job done.
That's because Anderson Window in Charlotte NC dock doors are off an "Alley" that WASTE MANAGEMENT "garbage trucks" take like 10 minutes back out into TRAFFIC..

Now I had a 53footer Wabash dry van and a 2013 Freighshaker "Crapcadia"

No Grill to Bust until I "cracked" the Plastic..

Eh it's was a "WORK TRUCK" not a Trucking Show 1st Prize at County Fair & ya won $100 bucks your favorite charity and 24 cases of Miller Beer because theirs 24 cans in a case..

Nope my Truck couldn't even win that much..

But think the "Time" I'm saving not worrying about every speck and scratch

Most of ours have them but I wouldn't even be bothered unless it's something to winch on I need to sit in or can't see around.

I went 2 the "Interview" told him "Applied" for Yard & Mantience..

We could use a "Driver" much more..

Said look got "sick" of DRIVING "why" do ya "think" I'm applying for a $14 Hour Yard and Matainence guy ...

Welp on the "Phone" he said I sounded like some "Oil Field" Redneck again that was on phone...

Secondly I have 85/90 percent "Dry Van" and afew years of "Reefer" that should round out about 10/15% in "Refrigerated" trucking..

Nah I wouldn't have time if ya don't know the "Basics" like "Chains & Binders" ..

Still in "Consideration" for Yard/Maintainence" but I think ya "Over-Qualified" for just that ..

Said look got "sick" of DRIVING "why" do ya "think" I'm applying for a $14 Hour Yard and Matainence guy ...

Welp on the "Phone" he said I sounded like some "Oil Field" Redneck again that was on phone...

Secondly I have 85/90 percent "Dry Van" and afew years of "Reefer" that should round out about 10/15% in "Refrigerated" trucking..

Nah I wouldn't have time if ya don't know the "Basics" like "Chains & Binders" ..

Still in "Consideration" for Yard/Maintainence" but I think ya "Over-Qualified" for just that ..
I don't think these places understand either..

I work what I need be good with my $$$ too...

Also working different jobs every 3/4 months keeps life "Interesting" ..

People here at "home" think just because I got a CDL & "drove trucks"..

People thinks that's you're calling and that's just what ya should be "Doing" all the Time until ya "Croak" ...

I always "walked" away before something"Bad" happened

Also still have a "Clean" CDL in the Future should I need to tap that "Ca$hline" again to square up ..

Well, that's a shame, that this guy thinks chains and binders are complicated.
All of their equipment has eye holes for chains.
I am pretty sure most of their equipment is pretty light weight.

I worked at that job hauling plants for a couple years. I hesitated a bit to take it because I had never had a trucking job that involved swinging doors and I heard how they got treated a lot of places. It was easy and nice at first because you did the loading and unloading yourself and it was only carts to roll in and out of a reefer. Then all the rona bullshit and theatre made it bit by bit as bad or worse than a typical door swinger job.

Personally, I'd rather throw a few chains and binders and unload myself than sit in a dock for hours on end at someone else's mercy. Also the way you get treated places you go with machines or even the flatbed loads is night and day to a warehouse, a DC, or even a greenhouse treating you like a mouth breathing idiot child.

I worked at that job hauling plants for a couple years. I hesitated a bit to take it because I had never had a trucking job that involved swinging doors and I heard how they got treated a lot of places. It was easy and nice at first because you did the loading and unloading yourself and it was only carts to roll in and out of a reefer. Then all the rona bullshit and theatre made it bit by bit as bad or worse than a typical door swinger job.

Personally, I'd rather throw a few chains and binders and unload myself than sit in a dock for hours on end at someone else's mercy. Also the way you get treated places you go with machines or even the flatbed loads is night and day to a warehouse, a DC, or even a greenhouse treating you like a mouth breathing idiot child.
I dunno my "Trucking" forays used last 6 months even 2 "entire" years my last time up at Minnesota..

Around here it's gonna be the 94 Chicago/Milwaukee Corridor every day probably 2/3 turns like the "Grain Elevators" back Harvest Season..

Told him the "Truth" and what I "applied " for too..

Honestly I think it'd been "More" DIS-Respectful" & a "Liar" had I told him I'm "IN"..

Been a "Disappointment" not even on "Speaking" Terms

Plus I am "Home" what if I finally go out some night get the "Bracelets" slapped on me behind my back and "Booking Room" Photos..

Now I'll be on "Parole" and not too "Over-Qualified" for Yard & Maintenance...

Okay that'll probably never "ever" Happen Again..

If it "did" though I never "Burned" my "Bridge" for $14 an Hour

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread