• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

JB Hunt

Cerberus

In God We Trust
unless you have been driving for awhile, jb is a place a newer person should not go to. and exp. driver should really think twice also. i made good money with them but it is not worth it. they will mess up your DAC so the only one who will hire/re-hire you is them. there regional is not to bad. hometime is an issue with them. they are no worse/better than any big company out there.

j.b. hunt sux

cerebus,i totally agree with you...i quit their azzes 3 weeks ago and they have screwed me twice already...the recruiters told me this morning that the report they verbally gave the companies i applied for nasty reviews on me...this is a damn lie...never been late on a load...even when they give me a plan late...was kept out past my 70 and then blamed for going over it, which is my fault...there was all kinds of things said that wasnt true...but i been at this business for 35 years and a **** ant company like j.b. hunt cant keep me off the road...
to any new drivers...stay the hell away from j.b. hunt...
experienced drivers...this advise is for you too...
the only ones i would advise to drive for hunt are those who cant get a job anywheres else, because if they are the only company who will hire you,then your nothing more than a steering wheel holder...and that makes you dangerous...
i have never been one to sugar coat anything so i hope no one takes offence about this, but when it comes to truckin i am very passionate and my opinion is this...
we truck drivers move this country...without us belive me it would come to a screeching halt...about 95% of everything manufactured in the world ends up on a truck at one time or another, and its our job to make sure it gets to where it going on time and as safe as possable...we are the blood flowing thru the veins of america...keep up the good work guys and girls...i commend you...

Not so sure what to do...

I would have to half-heartedly agree with j b sux' comments. I've noticed that JB lives up to most of their words except mileage. imagine this; Right after thanksgiving, you listen to the Harper Hotline.. 5 minutes of da da da da da and then it comes... yea, and we are a great company, we get all our drivers thru the house on christmas.... did anyone pay attention.... THRU the house??????? I have a 4 year old boy now and i get "thru" the house. last time i spent x-mas with jb signing my paychecks, that meant 3 whole hours. Apparently there must be customers open that JB does not even know about, because every holiday I end up sitting and sitting. It makes no sense. Fleet managers say that they have a percentage to maintain. Would it not be more cost-effective to not have 90% of the fleet not idling???

Onto mileage... haha!!! if only the ASM's were paid off of commission. I hear all the time from my fleet manager that he is not the one assigning loads. And I bark back saying yes, that is true, however, we as drivers are not allowed to contact the ASM's and you are our only liaison to them. Its amazing how fast they can get quiet. And then idle time. Always get griped at about idle time. Does anyone else here agree with me that high idle and low miles are proportional? That when the truck is not moving it is shut off or idling, and im not sweating in the middle of August because they cannot get me miles? Am i missing something??? And we wont even go there with delivering a load at 0700 and then the ASM schedluing you for your next pickup at 1400, totalling killing off your 14 hr rule, in which after you almost have to decline the load, you get put at the back of the line to wait for more freight that usually does not come until the next morning. Happens ALL THE TIME!!!

And on a final note, and I try to say this with the utmost respect and professionalism. Note that I said I "try." I hear Craig Harper, VP of Ops say all the time, "stick with us, jb wont touch cheap freight. It is our goal to put those companies that accept cheap freight out of business through high safety standards and excellent customer service." Did the thought ever occur to Mr Harper that these "cheap companies" stay in business because they have drivers willing to drive for them? And why would that be? Could it be that they were not getting miles at JB Hunt??? Could it really be that a Vice President is fighting his own ghost?? I am sorry Mr. Harper, I dont know why I like JB and why I continue to come back, because I am usually reminded within 60 days as to why I left, but lets be honest. The detention center has done nothing noticeable. I follow procedure and have not seen increased pay for sitting at US Foodservice for 12 hours. That's 20 salary paychecks that could be spent elsewhere and eliminate the detention team. And while I like optimism, quite frankly it does NOT put food on the table. 3rd quarter was bad, but there is a promising 4th quarter. If you find out who i am really, look up my driver info and see that i have yet to break 2000 paid miles over the past 2 months; I'm not talking about week to week either, im talking about my paychecks. I hit 1980 last week and that was the most in two months. Which leaves me totally worried about when the real freight slowdown comes in January and February. Am I going to get even 1000 miles then??? I have been extremely patient, yes I admit i make enough to pay for my child support and medical insurance and thats why I stay now. I cannot afford another job change at present. So I guess Im securely at jb hunt unless this posting gets me fired. But, to drivers that have a choice, and most do, the same rule applies: take care of the driver or someone else will... even if it means going to a cheap freight rate company that you have sworn to place out of business. At least the driver will stay busy there.

This is for all companies using HHG, not just JB, however JB is not exclusive to this paragraph. The government has strict rules about getting paid for your work in every field of business except drivers. Here it is in plain math. The average driver getting mileage pay based on the HHG system (call it household guide to mileage, post office to post office, whatever) is typically on average 10 percent out of route. Keep that 10 percent in your head. There are 52 weeks in a year, meaning the average drive gets 52 days off. Add in a 2 week vacation. This equals 66 days off total for the year. We will make the math simple and take away from that, a single day. Now, the average driver gets off-time 65 days a year. That means he is working 300 days of the year. Ten percent out of route. that is 30 free days... WHAT OTHER JOB PROFESSION IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA MAKES IT LEGAL TO WORK A FULL FLIPPIN MONTH FOR FREE??????????????? And thats just mileage pay, thats not fueling a truck, pretripping their equipment, loading and unloading, and any other logbook entry that requires line 4, etc

p.s.
I guess on a final final FINAL note, yes, my availibility is always accurate, no, I do not believe for a second that in the city of Dallas, TX as was the case last week, that there was absolutely no freight that JB could book on a weekday morning at 0800 when i emptied out. I guess I can sum most of this up in two words... corporate stupidity... hope yall enjoy!!

well said. sad thing is, everybody knows how bad they are/can be but they still fill up orientation classes twice a week at every terminal. and a good percenatage is repeats. when you need a job there is always jb hunt. sad but true. and those damn slow trucks have too be the biggest irkes of them all. 61-62 mph is so dangerous. by not being able to get out of the way of faster trucks or getting over to let oncoming traffic on is insane.

well umm...

again, half heartedly agree with you Cerberus, 62 mph is dangerous. But I have seen over and over again the O/O trucks using their triple digit trucks to "push" 4-wheelers out of the way. I am sure that you've seen the truck that is doing 70 mph and is less than 10 feet off the bumper of the 4-wheeler. I dont know how anyone could ever think that to be a safe action and a governed speed where a truck is going slower than almost everyhing else, it eliminates that kind of stupidity. And it really is STUPIDITY!! I get on the CB and shout out all the time.. "what are you gonna tell the judge when that car blows a tire and slams on his brakes?" The typical response i get is the same "you drive your truck and i drive mine." However, 110 miles down the road, I am stuck in a 7 hour long fatality accident backup line because of that idiot. And now he is the one driving my truck, cause had he backed off and gave himself 7 more seconds, I couldve arrived at my destination 7 hours earlier. But yet, all he was doing was "driving his truck." I would really love to visit a couple of prisons and ask and see if that truck driver has had our CB chat echoing through his head the past 2 years he's spent in jail killing a family of 7. And yes, because his stupidity caused a 7 hour backup, I was not allowed the chance to "drive my truck." He drove it for me. His stupidity caused me to set my brakes for 7 hours.

Oops, I guess i went off on a stray tangent, but I guess the main point i was getting at, while it is a little unsafe to go slower than everyone else, it is even moreso a bad deal when you have wide open trucks and drivers develop that "run everything over to get there 28 minutes faster" mentality. And to the guy that cannot see a 13.5 foot tall, 8.5 foot wide, 73 foot long blazing white semi truck... not to be a totally rude moron, that guy deserves to get into an accident with no blame to the jb driver.

p.s.
i guess i might as well add this... i do not at all ever recommend anyone to jb. Never have. A $500 bonus is not worth ruining someone elses life over. That driver stays where they're at and doesnt take the little miles away from me that i barely get. And back to jb's wording things and living up to them??? i average 1800 miles a week. Notice that all jb said in their ad was "consistent" miles. i consistently make 1800 miles a week, plus or minus a 100. Never said a darn thing about 2500........

i agree with your little rant illini. butt i think trucks governed under the speed limit is stupid. if your gonna govern a truck do at anywheres from 68-72 mph and at least that way drivers can at least do the speed limit. o/o and they attitudes they have and triple digit speeds are uncalled for. not all but in general is whaat i am stating. just wanted to say that before people all get there panties in a wad for my comment.

I went to JB Hunt Orientation twice in ATL (get this) Both times there was no truck available. 1st time they sent me back home on the bus (tennessee) and put me on truck waiting pay, This was a Fri. Monday they called me and told me a truck was available in NC and said the Bus leaves in 30 mins. Told them the Bus was 35 minutes from my house and I wasn't even dressed yet. Told me they would have to remove me from waiting pay because I turned down this truck. Told them to stick it up their a**

2nd Time (dumn me) went to JB Hunt ATL with the promise that a truck would be there this time. Guess what "NO TRUCK".
3 days later they found me a repo in Midway TN, rode with another driver to get the truck. What I found was a truck with a broken windshield, Smelled of urine, filthy and still had the previos drivers belongs in the cab. Dash lights wouldn't work and the engine was 6 gals low on oil. Also the faring on the drivers side was crushed against the glad hands. Called JB and told them about this truck. They said I should have never been sent after this truck and asked me to drive it home over the weekend and they would have me another ready in Memphis. I said ok and limped home.
THEN on Monday I called again to let them know I was leaving out and asked them to make sure the truck was ready to go in Memphis, I was told I WILL keep this truck, and It will be fixed for me. I said it will take days to get this truck ready and I ain't driving this POS. After arguing for several minutes I told them to get F***'d and they sent someone to my house to pick up the truck.

Believe me, their will never be a 3rd.

I went to JB Hunt Orientation twice in ATL (get this) Both times there was no truck available. 1st time they sent me back home on the bus (tennessee) and put me on truck waiting pay, This was a Fri. Monday they called me and told me a truck was available in NC and said the Bus leaves in 30 mins. Told them the Bus was 35 minutes from my house and I wasn't even dressed yet. Told me they would have to remove me from waiting pay because I turned down this truck. Told them to stick it up their a**

2nd Time (dumn me) went to JB Hunt ATL with the promise that a truck would be there this time. Guess what "NO TRUCK".
3 days later they found me a repo in Midway TN, rode with another driver to get the truck. What I found was a truck with a broken windshield, Smelled of urine, filthy and still had the previos drivers belongs in the cab. Dash lights wouldn't work and the engine was 6 gals low on oil. Also the faring on the drivers side was crushed against the glad hands. Called JB and told them about this truck. They said I should have never been sent after this truck and asked me to drive it home over the weekend and they would have me another ready in Memphis. I said ok and limped home.
THEN on Monday I called again to let them know I was leaving out and asked them to make sure the truck was ready to go in Memphis, I was told I WILL keep this truck, and It will be fixed for me. I said it will take days to get this truck ready and I ain't driving this POS. After arguing for several minutes I told them to get F***'d and they sent someone to my house to pick up the truck.

Believe me, their will never be a 3rd.

Maybe this will make you feel a little better. JB Hunt stock is on a pretty good slide to maybe the point the bottom will drop out of it

cerebus,i totally agree with you...i quit their azzes 3 weeks ago and they have screwed me twice already...the recruiters told me this morning that the report they verbally gave the companies i applied for nasty reviews on me....

Speak with an attorney. What they did was illegal. Let him handle it, and maybe hand you a lot of money in the process.

The only things they can provide are dates of employment, pay rate, rehire eligability (yes or no answers only) etc.

They went way over the line.

hey flatbedpete.. ur right jb's stock is going down the crapper.. Just got through with a stint with them, and they are getting rid of there over the road division, and only going to keep their local division open.. they cant afford to keep their trucks rolling, and everyone that is an owner operator with them... BETTER RUN!!!! Cause they aint payin you guys to run rail boxes 2 blocks down the road.. give it about another year or two and their will be no JB Hunt... What comes around goes around, and it's finally coming down on those S.O.B's

BJ yard--ATL

They're not known to many Drivers as jb hunt but B. J. hunt because when dealing with these imbeciles, one is having sex which is usually rough and dry.
I spent about 15 hours at that toilet yard with ALL THE JUNKED TRAILERS and this was in the yard WITH A 12 BAY SHOP, not the locked shit hole across the dead end street. What a fine location as well what with all the scumbags standing and sitting around on Rt. 54 near micky dees.
I was there for the LAST TIME EVER 7/31 and I did a walk around of the unlocked trailer yard to discover A LOT OF TRAILERS with write ups (red tagged or white tagged since the red had worn out) for simple things like Doors, Hinges, Hub Bearings, Hub Bushings, Glad Hands, Tires, Wheels, Lights, Needing Patches to cover the Holes in the Body, etc...

It's extremely pathetic to see ANY company of that size have such a tremendous amount of otherwise usable trailers rotting because of a great lack of experience by the mechanics (parts changers) to effect repairs in a reasonably timely manner.
It took me 4 hours just to get a mechanic to verify that the POS trailer I pulled into that GRAVEYARD actually did in fact NEED BRAKES. The imbeciles on the fuel island refused to check the trailer for anything and instead directed me to the buffoons in the shop.
I also loved the view of ALL THE TRACTORS waiting for something on the north side of the shop/GRAVEYARD. There must be at least 50.

Blow Job hunt will not be missed when it is gone except by the glue sniffing 1/2 wits that comprise most of the driving fleets.
There should be a nice Fire Bomb party when this company folds.

i agree with your little rant illini. butt i think trucks governed under the speed limit is stupid. if your gonna govern a truck do at anywheres from 68-72 mph and at least that way drivers can at least do the speed limit. o/o and they attitudes they have and triple digit speeds are uncalled for. not all but in general is whaat i am stating. just wanted to say that before people all get there panties in a wad for my comment.
Back in the day when I started driving trk which was only 3 yrs ago lol I thought 65 was too fast.But now if I drive for a company that has 68 or above thats fine by me,65 mph is too slow especially when trk is governed at that and trying to go up a hill with a slow trk u can barely make it. I have never drove for JBHUNT and never will just because of what the drivers say about them.If that's all u see is how bad the company is then chances r theyre bad.Besides their recruiters are wayyy too aggressive. JB knows theyre a bad company u would think they would quit lieing and do something about what the drivers say instead of getting worse day after day.

Back in the day when I started driving trk which was only 3 yrs ago lol I thought 65 was too fast.But now if I drive for a company that has 68 or above thats fine by me,65 mph is too slow especially when trk is governed at that and trying to go up a hill with a slow trk u can barely make it. I have never drove for JBHUNT and never will just because of what the drivers say about them.If that's all u see is how bad the company is then chances r theyre bad.Besides their recruiters are wayyy too aggressive. JB knows theyre a bad company u would think they would quit lieing and do something about what the drivers say instead of getting worse day after day.

when i worked for them it was many years ago and they really weren't that bad. good miles, good money and i had a great dispatcher. but today is a different story. there is no way in hell i would work for them now. they have gone down hill as have all these other big companies. no of them care about a driver at all, all they care about is the load and if you have a problem with that then get out of the truck and they will put a nother body in the seat, is all there attitude is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread