J.B. Hunt - Good Benefits, Dishonest Company

Jayhawk

JB Hunt's benefits are pretty good and the pay isn't too bad. The people that you work for leave alot to be desired. Not much honesty or care for the drivers, at least from my experience.

I've been with JB for 3 months. The pay is good. I average 2200 miles for every 7 days I'm on the road. There's not much freight on the weekend so you gotta get a load on Friday or Saturday that will take you thru the weekend unless you've driven out your 70. From what I've seen, the "Fleet Managers" have little control over the freight you get. The Load Planners do that and they don't see how much or how little you've driven. They just see if you can get the next load there with the time you have available. That's my only complaint. JB is currently testing APU's so they should be available soon and the FM's can quit fussing about idle time. JB doesn't drive much at night. The way they schedule the loads, you don't have to. I've only driven past 2200 once and that's because I wanted to get to a particular truck stop. I've never had to start driving before 0400. I really wish they had some 379's in the fleet. i don't regret for a secong switching to JB.

I know the chassis's they use in the container section have had a rework and they good some new containers. Not sure how the rest of the fleet is maintanced.

i agree

JB Hunt's benefits are pretty good and the pay isn't too bad. The people that you work for leave alot to be desired. Not much honesty or care for the drivers, at least from my experience.
i totally agree with you...i picked up a trailer in aiken,s.c. going to anderson,s.c. a few months back the trailer had a damaged slider box...i contacted matainence and described the damage, i also called my fleet manager...the left side of the slider box was seperated from the frame about 3 inches...a serviceman was called and he determined he couldn't fix it where i was at so he told my matainence department that he needed the trailer over his shop, which was in beach island,s.c. 32 miles away...i informed matainence that i didn't want to pull the trailer because of the safty factors involved...he told me to pull the trailer...i said no and i "red lined " on the spot,and put it out of service...i was told to pull the trailer or(this was implied) i would be fired...so i pulled the trailer(loaded)...when i got to the mechanic shop i was told by the owner that i had to go unload the trailer...again i said no...i was threatened again with being fired...this time i had the mechanic chain the box to the frame which made it somewhat safer...i traveled back the 32 miles and transloaded the trailer then brought it back again 32 miles and put the trailer down in the mechanics yard...i was paid for 27 miles actually traveling 96 miles.(this was because rand/mcnally miliage chart)...i was hauled down on the carpet by the hunt safty department and blamed for the damage to the trailer, and put on 6 months probation...j.b. hunt won't take responsability for defective equipment if they can find a scapegoat such as they did with me...there are other drivers who i've spoke to that they have done the same thing to...liars? yes...and they will do whatever they can to place the blame on a driver...never hook up to a damaged trailer even if they threaten you with firing...once you hook up...your responsable...

You should have stood your ground. As soon as you were told to pull unsafe equipment that your Fleet Manager knew was unsafe, you should have called the safety department. If you "do agree" to pull damaged equipment under diress, make sure the "do it or else" instructions are given across the OBC so there's documentation of it. The best thing is not to do it and call the safety department.

The previous company for which I drove, tried TWICE to pull bj trailers in a program where we were not leased on with bj.
WE GOT ROYALLY SHAFTED the first time which culminated in me driving from Lebanon, TN to Greensboro, NC without a trailer.
This was after a mere 3 weeks in their new program for Owner Operators.

We again tried because of the sales people being good at snow jobs, convincing us that the new program has seen better improvements and new people.

It only took 1 week to be convinced that their newer program was actually worse than their earlier version.
I deadheaded from Jacksonville, FL to Greensboro, NC again without a trailer after sitting ALL DAY waiting for a load AND finally finding their pathetic excuse of a drop yard in Jacksonvile. (Jackson VILE because it IS)

WE LOST about $2k in fuel, sitting and waiting (which jb has no problem doing to their company drivers especially in Laredo), short hauls, flat tires on trailers and more waiting with both ventures.
----
Whenever ANY driver arrives at the Atlanta yard (in one of the lovely Ghettos), remember that you're driving for one of the "best maintained equipment" companies. You'll know this because the trailer yard is slam packed full of trailers WAITING FOR REPAIRS as well as the locked yard across the dead end street from the entrance to the bj yard.
--I had the wonderful experience to remain on this yard for about 6 hours before departing w/o a trailer to the lovely and under rated Pilot for an overnight stay. I have never b4 nor shall I ever again stay at that Peelot.
I returned to the bj yard early in the a. m. to do a walk around, exploring WHY these many trailers ar stationary.--
There are trailers awaiting repairs and red tagged except the red has long disappeared (for 6 months+) for such things as: a door, a patch or section of trailer to be replaced due to a hole, a section of floor to be fixed/patched/replaced, a hub bearing, a couple of rims, a few lights, an ICC bar, Glad Hands, a landing gear handle, and other such obtainable items as can be had at REPUTABLE companies without any problem.
You'll also notice that there is a fully complemented garage in that there are multiple bays yet are somewhat restricted in access because of all the parked Tractors behind said garage, about 100.
The time required just to have a mechanic look at a trailer to confirm needed repairs is excessive at best.
**Remember to access the shop ONLY from the drivers' building AND to wear the required safety glasses BEFORE entering further into the shop, lest one be reprimanded by a shop employee.**
Don't do like I did and enter the shop through ANY of the available and open bay doors. Logic isn't an application at bj hunt especially in the shop.

Have fun in the drivers' area as there are drivers awaiting dispatch for upwards of 3+ days and these folk have some wonderful attitudes that only comes from being a trucker.

--I got a call from my dispatcher that there was a load available to Jacksonvile, FL. I acquired the trailer, spent about an hour sliding the Tandems, another 45 minutes at the Peelot waiting to scale, weighing, getting the scale ticket, sliding the tandems and weighing and getting the 2nd scale ticket before FINALLY leaving Hotlanta. That fun was in August.--
----
I'm glad some drivers are able to cope with the enormous incompetence that envelops bj hunt. I say bj because every time talking to them, one is having some form of rough and dry sex.

YOUR experiences are YOURS as these are MINE.

I heard the Jax yard was going to close, Don't know if it is true. I do know they have a hire freeze on Fl. At least anyone South of I-10.
But I also heard now remined you all this could be nothing more then rumor that Hunt was going to regroup and start buying new equip.(driver talk)

I heard the Jax yard was going to close, Don't know if it is true. I do know they have a hire freeze on Fl. At least anyone South of I-10.
But I also heard now remined you all this could be nothing more then rumor that Hunt was going to regroup and start buying new equip.(driver talk)

Not sure about the status of the terminal, but they had a hiring freeze in Florida and several other States for a few months, but they have lifted that freeze as of a couple weeks ago and now hiring again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread