Is trucking better or worse than when you came into the industry?

Typical biker..... I quit wearin chains years ago. Well...... except for the one that causes me to say "Yes dear, coming dear". :D
Speaking of @LaKitten, how's she doing?

I have to go with the mechanical engines. There where no fault codes, You new what was most likely the problem by the symptoms. When there was a problem, The problem was Mechanical and needed parts not a computer to reset it.

The McTruck I drive has had the "Check Engine" light on since last Christmas. Been to 4 different Mack dealers and nobody can fix it. Hell, they can't even figure out the codes it throws.

Common answer is "Just drive it until it breaks."

The McTruck I drive has had the "Check Engine" light on since last Christmas. Been to 4 different Mack dealers and nobody can fix it. Hell, they can't even figure out the codes it throws.

Common answer is "Just drive it until it breaks."
My Kentruck has had a code that reads, Generic code fix at next service. Allrighty then! The next service was in two months and that is now. I bet when they plug into the truck the code reads, Yeah I was just ****ing with the driver and the mechanics all gather around to laugh.

I was yankin' Kittyfoot's chain.

And you had to go and take all the fun out of it. :mad:

Well that makes me feel a little better.
:)
I was out of sorts.
Before the Royals got their ass handed to them by Madison Blues my wife was after me to get the rails on the deck back up.
:(

DAMMIT!
IF I SAY I'LL GET THEM UP THEN UP THEY WILL GO!!
I resent being nagged about it every 2 or 3 months for over a damn year!!
:mad:

Well, the damned deck was sagging in the middle so I dragged a timber out to shore it up.
Then she says, Hollar if you need me, I'm gonna start dinner and finish the checkbook.

o_O

OK,
no problem, I'll just hold this up with my forehead on one end and my big freakin toe on the other while I pound the supports in underneath!!
No, by all means abandon the project you instigated!!
I haven't been thumped in the head with a 14' 4x4 for months, I'm looking forward to it!!
:sandpile:

I had frozen pizza for dinner.
:oops:

It sucked!
I should have put it in the oven.
:bonk:

PS,
BITE ME!!
:rant:

Well that makes me feel a little better.
:)
I was out of sorts.
Before the Royals got their ass handed to them by Madison Blues my wife was after me to get the rails on the deck back up.

DAMMIT!
IF I SAY I'LL GET THEM UP THEN UP THEY WILL GO!!
I resent being nagged about it every 2 or 3 months for over a damn year!!
:mad:

Well, the damned deck was sagging in the middle so I dragged a timber out to shore it up.
Then she says, Hollar if you need me, I'm gonna start dinner and finish the checkbook.

o_O

OK,
no problem, I'll just hold this up with my forehead on one end and my big freakin toe on the other while I pound the supports in underneath!!
No, by all means abandon the project you instigated!!
I haven't been thumped in the head with a 14' 4x4 for months, I'm looking forward to it!!
:sandpile:

I had frozen pizza for dinner.
:oops:

It sucked!
I should have put it in the oven.
:bonk:

PS,
BITE ME!!
:rant:
:rolllaugh3:

If we had all the benefits of the new electronic engines but only had to meet the mechanical day's emission standards, the benefits would be clear. Better economy, more power, longer life. But that's all wishful thinking.

Every one gets all glassy-eyed about the old motors, but a stock 425 Cat wouldn't stand a chance against most fleet motors these days. And have you all forgotten what a bitch it was to start those engines in the winter? There was a reason that ether injection was a common thing on trucks.

Don't get me wrong, the simplicity of those engines was awesome when something happened way back in the sticks; anyone could work on them with hand tools. And they'd run forever with no need for a battery, if you knew how the bypass the shutdown selenoid. But the blame for today's unreliability should be laid at the feet of the bureaucrats who demand an engine that puts out cleaner air than it takes in, and the complexity that entails. And instead of giving everyone time to get all the bugs worked out, the pencil pushers keep demanding the goal posts be moved once again.

We've put 10 new trucks in our fleet in the last 18 months, 4 of them last spring and summer. 3 of those first 4 have now had the engines redone, 1 in the few couple months, and now 2 more this last week. And one of those is an out of frame replacement. SMDH

Put out cleaner air than it takes in? Get behind a truck doing a regen going down the road. I would take an old truck blowing some soot over that regen emission.

Put out cleaner air than it takes in? Get behind a truck doing a regen going down the road. I would take an old truck blowing some soot over that regen emission.

the exhaust from the regen is known to clear your sinus problems and make all the roadside flowers just a little prettier when you go by them ;)

I took the job of covering for our shunt driver while he was on Vacation. The shunt truck never gets to highway speeds. It was constantly doing re-gens. My freakin eyes where burning and it happened to be during a heat wave. Nothing like sitting in what is essentially a COE doing high temp re-gens during a heat wave.
Burning eyes is not real cool when you need eagle eyed vision for shunting.
Not sure why A shunt truck would need to meet these emissions standards and not be considered an off road vehicle.
Oh a shunt truck is a yard dog for those not familiar with the term shunting or shunt truck.

If we had all the benefits of the new electronic engines but only had to meet the mechanical day's emission standards, the benefits would be clear. Better economy, more power, longer life. But that's all wishful thinking.

Every one gets all glassy-eyed about the old motors, but a stock 425 Cat wouldn't stand a chance against most fleet motors these days. And have you all forgotten what a ***** it was to start those engines in the winter? There was a reason that ether injection was a common thing on trucks.

Don't get me wrong, the simplicity of those engines was awesome when something happened way back in the sticks; anyone could work on them with hand tools. And they'd run forever with no need for a battery, if you knew how the bypass the shutdown selenoid. But the blame for today's unreliability should be laid at the feet of the bureaucrats who demand an engine that puts out cleaner air than it takes in, and the complexity that entails. And instead of giving everyone time to get all the bugs worked out, the pencil pushers keep demanding the goal posts be moved once again.

Hee Hee.... my "old" 335 Cummins was equipped with a Compression Release". Paid for my fuel by firing it up on -40F days and charging $50 for tow-starting the "newer, better" rigs. :D

We've put 10 new trucks in our fleet in the last 18 months, 4 of them last spring and summer. 3 of those first 4 have now had the engines redone, 1 in the few couple months, and now 2 more this last week. And one of those is an out of frame replacement. SMDH

Shhhhhh.... @Mike might be reading!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread