Is there a difference between trailer and drive tires?

One thing you gotta keep in mind is the straight tread tires wont have the deep tread like a drive will. A 29/32 tire will out live a 19/32.

There ya go. Something I didn't realize.

The HSR2 is 23/32> I think that is one of the deepest treads you will find on a non lug tire. the big thing would be comparing prices. I have a set on the front axle of my spread and they are wearing like iron, but they are expensive.

The HSR2 is 23/32> I think that is one of the deepest treads you will find on a non lug tire. the big thing would be comparing prices. I have a set on the front axle of my spread and they are wearing like iron, but they are expensive.
That is the same tire I had on the steer and I junked them. When I took them off they still had 18/32 on them. You might get by with them beings your a local kinda guy. HSRgional, HSLongHaul. Dont confuse the 2 as I did.

That is the same tire I had on the steer and I junked them. When I took them off they still had 18/32 on them. You might get by with them beings your a local kinda guy. HSRgional, HSLongHaul. Dont confuse the 2 as I did.

HSR's would be OK on a trailer....The decoupling groove on the HSL would present a problem on a spread axle trailer.
The unusual wear that you experienced on those HSR's was related more to the fact that it was on a long haul steer axle position than anything else.
I have some HSL's on the rear axle of my trailer that I took off of my steers, that are wearing like iron and the HSR's that I had on there before wore the same way.
I run the HSL's on the rear axle because the front axle position is too hard on the decoupling groove.

There's a whole different set of stresses on a long haul steer position tire than on a trailer tire.

Regional is typically running OTR but staying in a 500 +/- mile radius. Why is there a difference as far as tires are concerned?

There's a whole different set of stresses on a long haul steer position tire than on a trailer tire.

Basically I was just pointing out for the masses at large not to put HSR's on a steer axle long haul truck.
Regional is typically running OTR but staying in a 500 +/- mile radius. Why is there a difference as far as tires are concerned?
The regional steer tire is made more for in city driving and short 175~300 mile runs MAX.
How that decoupling groove makes a difference as to what it does is beyond me, other then a spread axle trailer will eat them up in short order.

I've been running mine both local and regional and they are doing ok. Even if I was doing long haul I'd rather have them than some junk long haul tire that will be wore out after making a cpl turns...lol

I've been running mine both local and regional and they are doing ok. Even if I was doing long haul I'd rather have them than some junk long haul tire that will be wore out after making a cpl turns...lol
I wish I had took some pics of the tires. Ask BW9 he seen them. I'll agree they may do vary well as a drive or trailer tire and may be a damn good city tire........open road 500~600 mile days as a steer they suck ass.

I wish I had took some pics of the tires. Ask BW9 he seen them. I'll agree they may do vary well as a drive or trailer tire and may be a damn good city tire........open road 500~600 mile days as a steer they suck ass.

Why are you worried, yours dry rot before they wear out anyway...lol

Why are you worried, yours dry rot before they wear out anyway...lol
I'll have you know I've done busted out over 42,000 miles this year THANK YOU VARY MUCH!!

A guy I worked for ran those tires on the drives that looked like trailer tires. On a slick road the rookie driver jack knifed it and punctured the fuel tank. the owner fired him on the spot. I blamed the owner for putting those kind of tires on and a rookie in that truck. Then again I had some experience and I would not drive on those tires, Unless it was summer and then they would need to come off in the late fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy I worked for ran those tires on the drives that looked like trailer tires. On a slick road the rookie driver jack knifed it and puncture the fuel tank. the owner fired him on the spot. I blamed the owner for putting those kind of tires on and a rookie int that truck. Then again I had some experience and I would not drive on those tires, Unless it was summer and then they would need to come off in the late fall.
That's how I feel about the Michelin XDA-HT 445/50R/22.5 low profile super-singles we used to run. Most worthless tires EVER. Even in the summer, I'd be climbing just a minor grade in Iowa or something, in the rain, and the damn things would start spinning with 32,000 on them.

That's how I feel about the Michelin XDA-HT 445/50R/22.5 low profile super-singles we used to run. Most worthless tires EVER. Even in the summer, I'd be climbing just a minor grade in Iowa or something, in the rain, and the damn things would start spinning with 32,000 on them.
I am sure they are fine. But, most of the wrecks I see have single tires on them. I don't trust them in the snow and ice. You live laterally to me on a global sense. The climate is the same.

i've long wondered why everyone and their sister puts lugged tires on the drives even when rarely, if ever, operating in snow conditions?

The best ride i've experienced, and i would strongly suspect best mpg, was with michelin x-ones.

i've long wondered why everyone and their brother puts lugged tires on the drives even when rarely, if ever, operating in snow conditions?

The best ride i've experienced, and i would strongly suspect best mpg, was with michelin x-ones.
Did you form that opinion after driving a Freightliner with lugged tires and then getting in a Kenworth with those Michelins?
I've never noticed any difference in ride from one type of tire to the next, just handling differences. Brand new deep-lug tires will feel kinda squirrely on dry pavement, super singles will spin & slide all over the place in snow or rain, etc.

No, it was freightliner columbia to freightliner columbia. i did notice that the xtra wides feel squirmier but i got used to it and i think i would prefer xtra wides if i owned my own equipment.

Of course balancing has a lot to do with everything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread