Is Rand McNally really shutting down?

Rob Sands

I keep reading everywhere that the company is in trouble and they're going to go under.

All I can find in a Google search is articles about a bankruptcy they files in 2003.

I keep reading everywhere that the company is in trouble and they're going to go under.

Maybe they dont sell enough road atlases anymore since the Advent of consumer GPS...

Lets all get rid of our out dated falling apart motor carriers atlases and Buy NEW ones to help keep em afloat for just a little while longer until I can finally figure out how to actually use my Tnd530

Maybe they dont sell enough road atlases anymore since the Advent of consumer GPS...

Lets all get rid of our out dated falling apart motor carriers atlases and Buy NEW ones to help keep em afloat for just a little while longer until I can finally figure out how to actually use my Tnd530
i am retiring as i always say..i need not support anyone or anything, hell, i'm even gonna shut off my OOIDA membership as well>!!!!!!!!

I have a laminated version. $30 well spent!

Nice to have, but don't let the technology hating crowd steer you wrong. Everything that is in that Atlas is available to you on the GPS, even the exact same truck route designations, all of the trucking regulation information, everything...

I always have a paper atlas in the truck with me, but never use it anymore. Actually, I do use it. I use it to sit on my steering wheel desk, then set my laptop on top of that. It serves a great purpose in that regard ;)

paper or laminated..???

i only ONCE bought paper, never again, the extra cost for laminated (to me) is well worth it.
Paper but free so who cares. Schneider gave me one as well. It sits at the very bottom of my duffle bag.

Nice to have, but don't let the technology hating crowd steer you wrong. Everything that is in that Atlas is available to you on the GPS, even the exact same truck route designations, all of the trucking regulation information, everything...

I always have a paper atlas in the truck with me, but never use it anymore. Actually, I do use it. I use it to sit on my steering wheel desk, then set my laptop on top of that. It serves a great purpose in that regard ;)

Believe me I don't mind using GPS, my dad had taught me how to read maps and plan trips when I was young. So I have always used one to plan my trip, but I typically have a GPS on when I'm on the road in my car as well as written directions.

But I just bought a new laminated copy as I need one for class next week. And my old paper one from 97 is just too beat up to use. It's so old the 540 bypass around 71 is a dotted line.

Believe me I don't mind using GPS, my dad had taught me how to read maps and plan trips when I was young. So I have always used one to plan my trip, but I typically have a GPS on when I'm on the road in my car as well as written directions.

But I just bought a new laminated copy as I need one for class next week. And my old paper one from 97 is just too beat up to use. It's so old the 540 bypass around 71 is a dotted line.
Maybe get some dry erase markers to go with the laminated atlas.

Use them to write directions on the windshield too

End point on top

Erase from the bottom up as you make turns.

I actually meant their tablet division.
I think the paper maps are safe, but apparently the tablet division of the company is going bankrupt.

Anyone know about that?

That's not a half bad idea.
I usually only get one not half bad idea per year but, here is another at Staples they sell what they call a China marker ( ok don't freak out. LOl)
It is like a grease pen used in restaurants but white. This is good for marking the holes when you want to slide your tandems to get a load legal. A piece of chalk will work well too.

I actually meant their tablet division.
I think the paper maps are safe, but apparently the tablet division of the company is going bankrupt.

Anyone know about that?
I have not heard about that, But they could make their tablets more marketable if one could insert a sim card in there so you could use it using your cell phone data plan. As far as I know the tablet part was only good using Wi-Fi. The GPS part worked with out it.

I usually only get one not half bad idea per year but, here is another at Staples they sell what they call a China marker ( ok don't freak out. LOl)
It is like a grease pen used in restaurants but white. This is good for marking the holes when you want to slide your tandems to get a load legal. A piece of chalk will work well too.

Good looking out but I'm pretty sure I won't be sliding tandems on a spread axle flatbed. China markers could also be used on the laminate as well. Use them for laminated character sheets playing RPGs. Yes I'm a nerd and I accept that. LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread